HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   NYers New Law Boating (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/302276-nyers-new-law-boating.html)

Charlie P 09-01-2009 11:41 AM

NYers New Law Boating

NY requires life jackets for cold weather boating
ALBANY -- New York has become the first state to require life jackets for everyone in all small pleasure craft during the six coldest months of the year, when capsized boaters drown faster in chilly water.
Starting Nov. 1, kayakers, canoeists and all those aboard motorboats under 21 feet must wear Coast Guard-approved personal flotation devices while on lakes, the ocean or other waterways.
The rule remains in effect through May 1. Violators will face fines ranging from $100 to $250.
Similar measures apply to canoes and kayaks in Massachusetts and to all manually propelled vessels, including rowboats, in Connecticut.
Falling into cold water can trigger shock, disorientation or gasping and inhaling water. Immersion can lead to hypothermia and passing out.

Troutman10 09-01-2009 12:04 PM

Guess we're going to see another increase in taxes, b/c the state needs officers out on the water in cold months to enforce such a measure.

turkeygirl2 09-01-2009 12:09 PM

Well I think it's a good idea...and if anything, it'll keep the body afloat if someone goes in and doesn't make it...

More rules though...:-\

crokit 09-01-2009 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by turkeygirl2 (Post 3426626)
Well I think it's a good idea...and if anything, it'll keep the body afloat if someone goes in and doesn't make it...

More rules though...:-\

I think so also. I've always said, when I'm canoeing across lakes in the Adirondacks in November, at least the life jack will enable me to have a decent burial, 'cuz survival chances in 34-36 degree water isn't all that great !:eek2:

Itinerant 09-01-2009 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by crokit (Post 3426922)
I think so also. I've always said, when I'm canoeing across lakes in the Adirondacks in November, at least the life jack will enable me to have a decent burial, 'cuz survival chances in 34-36 degree water isn't all that great !:eek2:

Good thing the nanny state will make another law to protect us. :sheep: I feel sooooo much safer now. If only people had common sense :hit: .

Bernie P. 09-02-2009 05:36 AM

Certainly a good idea to wear one in cold weather but I don't like the idea of the Government telling me what I have to do.Does this law say everyone must wear one at all times or that there must be one for each on board?

Charlie P 09-02-2009 06:32 AM

Starting Nov. 1, kayakers, canoeists and all those aboard motorboats under 21 feet must wear Coast Guard-approved personal flotation devices while on lakes, the ocean or other waterways.

Think I'm going to buy a couple of those ones that inflate when you need them to. I spend a lot of time fishing for walleye in the cold and the life vests are just darn uncomfortable, especially when your anchored casting.

bugsNbows 09-02-2009 07:43 AM

Personally, I'm not for the goobermint enacting all of these "protective" type laws. How ironic is it tho that NY does not (that I'm aware of) mandate hunter orange during firearms season? They do recommend it tho. :poke:

Itinerant 09-02-2009 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by bugsNbows (Post 3427706)
Personally, I'm not for the goobermint enacting all of these "protective" type laws. How ironic is it tho that NY does not (that I'm aware of) mandate hunter orange during firearms season? They do recommend it tho. :poke:

They do keep trying. NYC will get there way one day.

orion27 09-02-2009 03:48 PM

I think it is only when you are underway.