Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NYers New Law Boating >

NYers New Law Boating

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NYers New Law Boating

Old 09-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default NYers New Law Boating

NY requires life jackets for cold weather boating
ALBANY -- New York has become the first state to require life jackets for everyone in all small pleasure craft during the six coldest months of the year, when capsized boaters drown faster in chilly water.
Starting Nov. 1, kayakers, canoeists and all those aboard motorboats under 21 feet must wear Coast Guard-approved personal flotation devices while on lakes, the ocean or other waterways.
The rule remains in effect through May 1. Violators will face fines ranging from $100 to $250.
Similar measures apply to canoes and kayaks in Massachusetts and to all manually propelled vessels, including rowboats, in Connecticut.
Falling into cold water can trigger shock, disorientation or gasping and inhaling water. Immersion can lead to hypothermia and passing out.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

Guess we're going to see another increase in taxes, b/c the state needs officers out on the water in cold months to enforce such a measure.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Well I think it's a good idea...and if anything, it'll keep the body afloat if someone goes in and doesn't make it...

More rules though...:-\
Old 09-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by turkeygirl2
Well I think it's a good idea...and if anything, it'll keep the body afloat if someone goes in and doesn't make it...

More rules though...:-\

I think so also. I've always said, when I'm canoeing across lakes in the Adirondacks in November, at least the life jack will enable me to have a decent burial, 'cuz survival chances in 34-36 degree water isn't all that great !
Old 09-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by crokit
I think so also. I've always said, when I'm canoeing across lakes in the Adirondacks in November, at least the life jack will enable me to have a decent burial, 'cuz survival chances in 34-36 degree water isn't all that great !
Good thing the nanny state will make another law to protect us. I feel sooooo much safer now. If only people had common sense .
Old 09-02-2009, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Certainly a good idea to wear one in cold weather but I don't like the idea of the Government telling me what I have to do.Does this law say everyone must wear one at all times or that there must be one for each on board?
Old 09-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Starting Nov. 1, kayakers, canoeists and all those aboard motorboats under 21 feet must wear Coast Guard-approved personal flotation devices while on lakes, the ocean or other waterways.

Think I'm going to buy a couple of those ones that inflate when you need them to. I spend a lot of time fishing for walleye in the cold and the life vests are just darn uncomfortable, especially when your anchored casting.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I'm not for the goobermint enacting all of these "protective" type laws. How ironic is it tho that NY does not (that I'm aware of) mandate hunter orange during firearms season? They do recommend it tho.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
Personally, I'm not for the goobermint enacting all of these "protective" type laws. How ironic is it tho that NY does not (that I'm aware of) mandate hunter orange during firearms season? They do recommend it tho.
They do keep trying. NYC will get there way one day.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Spike

I think it is only when you are underway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.