Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PGC Meeting on PAs Crossbow Season >

PGC Meeting on PAs Crossbow Season

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PGC Meeting on PAs Crossbow Season

Old 08-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

[QUOTE]Wrong again yourself! You really should check your facts....or was this another deliberate flim flam? Crossbows have been legal throughout both the entire archery season and all deer season in ALL of 2B, 5C and 5D for years[/QUOTE

That is correct and that means the PGC has the data on the effects of crossbows in the 2 WMUs with the highest concentration of archers the result was that any increase in the archery harvest was not a concern for the PGC. Therefore, there doesn't appear to be any legitimate reason why crossbows should be legal statewide.

I think you just shot yourself in the foot. Did you use a crossbow?

BTW, as I understand it the vote will only be on whether to legalize crossbows statewide for the entire season, rather than on limiting it to 2 weeks.

Last edited by bluebird2; 08-27-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

[quote=bluebird2;3422013]
Wrong again yourself! You really should check your facts....or was this another deliberate flim flam? Crossbows have been legal throughout both the entire archery season and all deer season in ALL of 2B, 5C and 5D for years[/QUOTE

That is correct and that means the PGC has the data on the effects of crossbows in the 2 WMUs with the highest concentration of archers the result was that any increase in the archery harvest was not a concern for the PGC. Therefore, there doesn't appear to be any legitimate reason why crossbows should be legal statewide.

I think you just shot yourself in the foot. Did you use a crossbow?

BTW, as I understand it the vote will only be on whether to legalize crossbows statewide for the entire season, rather than on limiting it to 2 weeks.

You understand very little on the whole issue. If you cant recognize the differences between the three WMU's that had crossbows in archery ande the rest of the state, there's no point in trying to discuss any of this with you.

You also dont understand the pending vote. Full inclusion had already been approved. Weaners proposal was to modify that and allow crossbows only during the first two weeks. Now that the board has been filled, Weaners proposal will be almost certainly be a 4/4 vote and so the changes approved earlier for full inclusion will most likely stand.

When you don't understand the issue, maybe you should simply ask rather than embarrassing yourself by posting false information.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

deer that are left in clinton county for example are very hard to get close to with bow.they just dont come into fields etc until close to dark after they have been spooked.
from what i see and hear hunters are putting their efforts into the oct muzzleloader week.they have in-lines.now ones that are already hunting archery, like me ,most are changing over to crossbow,they know they are better or they would not be changing from compound.
i know these hunters.........with acorns all over this year, archery hunting will be very difficult.no apples so deer will be feeding on acorns.there is grass everywhere.field hunters are going to have it hard this year.

i am not seeing crossbows being bought by new hunters, so far but a ton of IN-LINES are being sold......i expect to see increase of road hunting with crossbows but these are same hunters that road hunted with a compound bow .
i expect to see MORE HUNTERS this year from out of area with crossbows.i will report on this to see if i am correct.

all this makes it very difficult to hunt archery even in the rut week,just to many archery hunters in small areas.then throw in us grouse hunters,real hard for early morning archery hunter.this is why i only going to hunt evenings on archery and grouse hunt in morning.,morning are to spooky on deer now with dogs etc.
but i dont see a lot of crossbow buying yet and if its family only 1 bow is being bought.that will be mistake,some think they are gun.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

You understand very little on the whole issue. If you cant recognize the differences between the three WMU's that had crossbows in archery ande the rest of the state, there's no point in trying to discuss any of this with you.
I fully understand the differences between the 3 WMUs and the rest of the state. Those 3 WMUs have the highest population of archery hunters and receive the most hunting pressure , which results in the highest archery harvests in the state. If crossbows are legal statewide you can rest assured that hunters aren't going to flock to 2 G to hunt 12 DPSM.

You are right that the vote will be to restrict crossbows to the first 2 weeks. But I was right that the newest commissioner plans to vote to keep crossbows legal for the entire season, by voting against Weaner's proposal.

Crossbow curb likely blunted
New game panelist would block ruling
Friday, July 17, 2009
By John Hayes, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Wednesday's confirmation of a new member of the Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners provides near certainty that broad use of crossbows will remain legal in the state this year.

Ralph A. Martone, of New Castle, Lawrence County, was sworn in yesterday as the eighth member of the board, filling a vacancy that opened in January when H. Daniel Hill III of Erie resigned to work for U.S. Rep. Kathy Dahlkemper, D-Erie.

In an interview yesterday, Martone said he supports broad inclusion of the crossbow during Pennsylvania hunting seasons.

Martone's "yes" vote for crossbows would result in a 4-4 tie among board members, who narrowly voted last week, with Martone's seat vacant, to give preliminary approval to regulatory changes that would restrict use of the sporting arm. That vote was not binding for the September archery deer season, when crossbows are still permitted.

A special meeting to confirm crossbow inclusion could be held before the next commission meeting Oct. 5-6.

Under board rules, no action is taken on a tie vote. Should that occur as a result of Martone's vote, a proposal to restrict crossbow usage during archery deer and other seasons would be quashed, and full inclusion in archery seasons would be granted as currently published in the 2009-10 Hunting and Trapping Digest.

Last edited by bluebird2; 08-28-2009 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:17 AM
Typical Buck

BT, the one part of this haggle that many xbow users have lost sight of, is that with the inclusion of xbows into archery season, their use in some of the other seasons they could be used in previously, went away.

I've talked to several xbow users who were so excited about "getting" archery season, that they failed to note that xbows were excluded from two of their "former" seasons: Early muzzleloader and flintlock seasons.

Some sources indicate we had about 70,000 xbow medical permit hunters under the old system, that could've used xbows in archery seasons. There was some talk that PA xbow sales had risen rapidly, when it appeared they would be included in this year's archery season.

I was not in favor of a total xbow inclusion into archery season, but things being what they are, why not just let it go for this fall and see what actually happens? Martone has indicated he is for inclusion, so unless any of the other commissioners have changed their minds since the July meeting, it'll result in a 4-4 tie and inclusion will happen.

BTW, reported xbow kills are now running about 15% of reported archery season kills, with some of the SRAs running much higher, more than twice that in 5C.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've talked to several xbow users who were so excited about "getting" archery season, that they failed to note that xbows were excluded from two of their "former" seasons: Early muzzleloader and flintlock seasons.
As I understand the regs, hunters can still use crossbows during the early ML and late flintlock and archery if they have an archery tag.

Yes a hunter can use any legal bow, crossbow or muzzle loading firearm during the statewide concurrent or extended period of the special regulations area hunting seasons and no special stamps are needed during that time period.

The special archery and muzzle loader stamps are needed by anyone hunting during any of the special archery, muzzle loading or flintlock seasons though regardless of where they are hunting within the state.

Dick Bodenhorn

Last edited by bluebird2; 08-28-2009 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Denny,

The bird actually got this part right. The reg was worded that way so that all xbow users will now have to buy the more expensive archery stamp.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

its amazing how screwed up the PGC seems to be. ky is having meeting for hunter input and they have surveys online and by mail asking questions wanting comments. they arent giving you options as to pick a, b, or c they want general input or idea as to the directions the hunters think the ky dept fish and wildlife should look at. its like pa doesnt care cause they know they got us no matter what. thats my rant its just so sad such a shame.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Denny,

The bird actually got this part right. The reg was worded that way so that all xbow users will now have to buy the more expensive archery stamp

The reg was worded that way, because xbow users will now have to buy an archery license, since they're being included in archery season. Which is what they've been demanding for some time.

Before, if they wanted to use an xbow during one of the muzzle loader seasons, all they needed was the backtag and a muzzy stamp. Only ones that needed the archery license, were those with medical permits to use an xbow in archery season.

Don't think xbow users ever needed an archery license to use them during "regular" firearms seasons?

Unless someone cuts/pastes birdy's comments, I don't see them. Which is fine with me. Only so many ways one can voice the same comments over a period of 8 or 9 years, anyway?

Old 08-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

crossbows will increase the kill in archery,no doubt about that.but in counties like clinton/potter it will not be easy .it will also be harder for disabled as now more hunters will be after deer that they had to themselves somewhat so.soooooooooooooo gun season 2nd week in wmu2g MAY be the biggest doe kill.

its not easy NOW in the oct muzz week to get doe as the doe are being spooked more do to deer are all in spots and pressure is there.this year its so thick in woods i got a little misdirected and i was walking pipeline and almost walked by my secret spot.right secret spot, 9 treestands around me.whooooooo,ya