Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

ny state lic

Old 09-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Spike

Actually, I think Pete Grannis is probably an anti, and he's trying to price us out of the woods. If a fair percentage of NY sportsmen declare their opposition to this increase and refuse to buy licenses for one year I believe Pete Grannis would be fired and prices would be adjusted.

A 10 or 15 percent boost in fees is an increase. A 50 to 70% increase is an outrage. But seems like the popular sentiment here is knuckle under and fork up the dough. So do what you want to do. A boycott would be hard to take. I love to get out there and bring home some venison. But it wouldn't last long. DEC would get the message that they overstepped the bounds of decency and stepped on too many toes, too hard. I am just getting sick and tired of the never ending and seemingly increasing rate of higher fees and higher taxes.

I will decide my course by the end of September, but whatever I decide, it will be less money for Grannis then the 76 dollars I would have paid for my Conservation Legacy, even if I decide to go for the lifetime sportsman. Remember, fees from lifetime licenses goes into a fund that can't be touched. Only the interest can be used.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Guys,
No matter what the price, we're gonna pay it. Super sportsman's the only way to go, w/o the doe tag of course. We can complain about the increase, but the minute those leaves start fallin from the trees, you get a whiff of the autumn smell, your hooked. Ya gotta grab the bow and go. I'm in my late 50's, otherwise I'd get a lifetime license. I got my son his lifetime for Xmas, three years ago. Best investment ever made. Only way I'd get a lifetime is if I was moving, I'd give em the fees cause outta state costs are just to crazy.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

Picked up my life time this year .... just hate to see all the bickering...a lawyer friend of mine makes a good point when he told me that ny was entering a contract with me allowing me the right to hunt for the rest of my life ... "life time liscense" and as long as i do nothing to jeopardize my right .. poaching ect. I will be hunting for many years to come and it might be the only way to keep hunting legal in this state... food for thought .
Old 09-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Steve863
I really can't agree with this. The state has done a number of things to promote hunting and increase hunter participation in the last few years, such as reducing hunting age for youngsters, open up more state land to hunting, allow rifles to be used in counties where it never was before, open up more regions for bear hunting. I don't think they would have done any of this if they really wanted to stop hunting. NYS as all others states realize that hunters play a vital role in wildlife management. They don't create hunting seasons in hopes that no one will hunt or buy licenses. License costs went up like everything has gone up. I also pay more for health insurance, groceries, gasoline, utilities, etc. I don't like any of that neither, but that's just the way it is in todays world. The cost of a yearly hunting license is still less than many people pay for one months cable TV bill. I will take the hunting license and the enjoyment I will get from it over watching any stupid hunting show on cable any day of the week!!
The problem is not the increase, its WHERE the money is being spent. Where do all of our lic fee's go? No one knows.

I went for a lifetime sportsman and lifetime bow this year. At 31 years old the 780 bux will be well worth it for me. I'll never have to worry about an increase ever again unless I get into muzzle My time is limited as it is, so I don't think I'll have the opportunity to do this until I am retired.

Anyways, regarding the DMP's if you do get a lifetime before Oct 1st there is no fee EVER for a DMP, there is another 10 bux a year saved for those who like to put meat in the freezer.

Regardless, good luck to all this season. Post some pics, I will!
Old 09-30-2009, 03:57 AM
Fork Horn

I am going to save the $10 for the doe permit and send it to Gove Patterson to help his re-election campaign
Old 01-13-2010, 04:33 AM
Spike

Default Last post was Sept 30th

And by now, deer seasons are over and the money is being counted. I hope everyone (even the guys who made fun of me) had a successful and safe hunt. I got a spike and a button buck. Also I hope all have had a great holiday season and wish all the best in the New Year.

I made my license decision, and it included a lifetime sportsman tag prior to the fee increase. I have pretty much decided to forgo special seasons anymore, and fishing in the salt, unless I go on a party boat relieving me the need to fork over for a special license.

DEC could have harvested 76 dollars a year from me for how ever many years I have left. Instead they annoyed me to the point of the big purchase (and I am responsible for at least 3 other NY outdoorsmen doing the same) which puts my fee money out of reach and guarantees me privleges including free doe permits.

I still feel the same way about the unreasonable fee increases, and I still believe DEC should live within its means, as all of us must do, instead of legally stealing our money.
Rick