Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Do bobcats kill deer?  Here is the answer. >

Do bobcats kill deer? Here is the answer.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Do bobcats kill deer? Here is the answer.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by J Pike
4evrhtn, yotes and bobcats only acount for a small % of fawn mortality due to predidation in PA., Black Bears aacount for the majority of fawns killed.
Also it isnt possible to put a dent in a yote population thru legal hunting methods because the more that you kill the more pups will be born. Pike
I can't speak for PA, but come to Maine and see the distruction they can do to a healthy deer herd.. I have no place for them right now and if you enjoy them so much be prepared. The way I see it it will not belong now and parts of this state will be off limit to hunting.. If it happens in your area where the heck would you be??
Old 10-12-2009, 04:56 AM
Typical Buck

when we raised deer for breeding, we had a number of fawns get killed thanks to the bobcats...dirty buggers
Old 10-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default Land Between the Lakes Yotes

While hunting in the TVA in KY we had mor than 7 yotes running circles around us in the dark. We were trying to find a hit turkey with a bow. We found it partly chewed up and as we carried it out they followed us for several hundred yards running circles around us. Kind of creepy.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

lol

this is nature at its finest
Old 10-22-2009, 03:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
lol

this is nature at its finest
Coyotes are not nature at it's best by no means.. Coyotes are killing machines that have distroyed the deer populations up here and are not natural to these parts.. Some have so called escaped pens up this way and have also crossed bred with the eastern timber wolves. A wolve will kill a deer and eat it all.. A coyote will kill deer and keep on killing them whether or not they have aten it all. There is no good coyote IMO....
Old 10-22-2009, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
I can't speak for PA, but come to Maine and see the distruction they can do to a healthy deer herd.. I have no place for them right now and if you enjoy them so much be prepared. The way I see it it will not belong now and parts of this state will be off limit to hunting.. If it happens in your area where the heck would you be??
Phil I grew up spending my winter breaks and summers just 10-15 minutes from the Maine Border in NH. and I know exactly what you are talking about. Up there Yotes could destroy an entire herd so when I started hunting OH. and saw that we had the largest coyote/bobcat population that I have ever seen I was scared to death!!
And for the first 2 years I checked every pile of coyote scat that I came across and during that time I found very little deer hair in it, 90+% of it was rabbit hair (we also have a million rabbits)
I was puzzeled about why Yotes were so hard on the deer herd in NH. & ME. but did very little damage to the herd in my area of OH.,
Then I remembered why, In NH. & ME. you/they have much longer and harsher winters and can have 2-3 of snow into April and even May and the yotes just run on top of the snow without much effort meanwhile the deer they are chasing have to run thru it and tire out very quickly making them easy prey for the yotes but in SE. OH. we get very little snow and the snow we get doesnt last long making it very tough for a single, pair and yes even a pack of yotes to bring dow a healthy deer. But with that said, I wouldnt leave a deer out over night because based on how long our gut piles last there wouldnt be much of a deer left to eat. Pike

Last edited by J Pike; 10-22-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

we hunt the yotes in feb here in clinton county,pa.we got 11 this winter.our success has gone up because of ole SPROULS hunting techinque.
i use ladder stand on the high edge of pipeline.this way yotes cant wind me.i use shotgun 12 ga with 4 shot with extended full choke.......
place my electronic call out on pipeline edge.it works better than anything i tried before.only reason it was not 22 yotes is because i was little sick and my cousins only hunted about 7 times with me.i have a double ladder stand.we both sit in same stand, i bet that looks funny if someone ever sees ussitting together makes time go by faster and is not boring.also 2 sets of eyes and extra sandwich.

usually we only get about 3 yotes in one area,then it gets slow.i hate moving the stand but with help ,its not too bad.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every single yote that appears before me has an attempt made on it's life. No exceptions. Bobcats need a permit to be taken in PA. I don't bother with them. If they are ever permitted to be taken arbitrarily then I surely would. I am the top predator and make no apologies for it.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

I find deer hair in coyote scat every month of the year. And this is far from any roadkills they could be getting at. They take deer down no doubt about it. Years ago, in the 60s and 70s, the PGC always had concerns about dogs hamstringing deer very often. If a dog or two can take a deer down, so can coyotes. Kill 'em all!
Old 10-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find deer hair in many piles of coyote scat as well.However,I've only ever found two deer that I'm sure were actually killed by coyotes.They no doubt kill adult deer I just don't know how much an effect they have.On a few occassions I've seen coyotes enter a field that deer were in and the deer didn't even pay them much attention unless they had fawns.If a pack of beagles can ran down a deer,a couple coyotes certainly can.I just don'y know how often they do.I don't if anbody truly does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.