Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
ny, green vs sullvan vs dutches >

ny, green vs sullvan vs dutches

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

ny, green vs sullvan vs dutches

Old 08-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Spike

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by db73
Good quality food helps them grow big racks. My friends dad used to butcher deer at his house and all of the real nice ones I saw came from Columbia and Dutchess counties. I have seen some real nice ones from Green county but they are few and far between.
Thanks. I have seen sum nice ones in dutches
Old 08-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Spike

Im hunting in NY this year since I will be working there for the next year. Is Poughkeepsie and Highland both in Dutchess County? When I fill for a tag am I getting a permit just for Dutchess county or do I need to specify the zone?
Old 09-03-2009, 03:00 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by gixxer6bb
Im hunting in NY this year since I will be working there for the next year. Is Poughkeepsie and Highland both in Dutchess County? When I fill for a tag am I getting a permit just for Dutchess county or do I need to specify the zone?
Your doe tags are specific to a certain WMU. I don't know what the WMU are down there but you can find them on the DEC website. It is not a given that you will get a tag for the area that you apply for. I believe that Poughkeepsie and Highland are both in Dutchess county. Should be some good areas down there.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:45 AM
Spike

Poughkeepsie is the County Seat of Dutchess County. Highland is on the other side of the Hudson River, and is in Ulster County.
Great deer hunting in Dutchess, but getting access to land is a problem. Have never hunted Ulster. Getting a "doe" tag is problematical anywhere in the State. You have to request a specific WMU, and cross your fingers.
If you have not hunted NY before, let me warn you that the DEC Police enforce all game laws to the letter. I know 3 personally, and they all have a zero tolererance policy when it comes to game laws. (No, they are not anti-hunting. I have hunted with them numerous times)