Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

A pic of woods

Old 07-18-2009, 03:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cvtrapper
It looks over browsed. Maybe you should kill of some deer.

Thats funny Overbrowsed ?? If he had to many deer there would not be a leaf left.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Spike

Depends of whos standards you go by from the meaning of "over browsed". LMAO
Old 07-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

its a almost 25 acres it is a piece of pie that comes up into some of my land . With milk prices being so low the farmer that owned it . needed to sell it for money.
Over the years that property was logged by bad logging outfits.
The beech in there isn't worth much has disease holes in it . Never seen much beech around here produce much last 10+ years.
It may be overbrowsed i dunno not a forester and biologist, but i dont think the deer will starve. But there will be some changes in the near future , maybe a pond some food plots and some beech cutting lots of firewood.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

oh yeah its in bradford co rem
Old 07-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

Your picture has striped maple, red maple and wild buckwheat in it that I can identify pkus a couple others that are just a tad too out of focus to identify.

The red maple and wild buckwheat are both pretty good deer browse. The striped maple isn’t as good but it isn’t horrible either. The striped maple is an ok shrub layer species and will keep deer alive through some pretty tough times even though it is not one of the best deer food species. If deer had only striped maple they might survive but they probably wouldn’t be able to produce enough surviving fawns to ever increase their population and maybe not even sustain their population with modest adult mortality.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 07-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cardeeer
Thats funny Overbrowsed ?? If he had to many deer there would not be a leaf left.
What?

With that comment you are proving just how little you know about the deer/habitat relationship.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 07-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

dont plant daylillies.i have 3 doe and 2 bucks in my yard right now and they inhale my dayllilies every night.cant even enjoy the flowers but i dont get mad,i like deer more in my yard each night.deer ate tops off my neigbors tomatoe plants,ha.he is mad as h but i told him he will have great tomatoes when that is done
Old 07-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Your right sproul,they love those daylilies. The problem with alot of ornamental plants and deer is, even if the deer have an abundant food supply. Some of those ornamental plants are like a treat for them. Daylilies,hostas,goose necks,spider wart and so on. Is just like setting out a slice of pie for them.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

If deer had only striped maple they might survive but they probably wouldn’t be able to produce enough surviving fawns to ever increase their population and maybe not even sustain their population with modest adult mortality.

No where in the state are deer limited to only striped maple. Furthermore studies show that an over browsed forest of beech ,birch and striped maple can support 40 DPSM at the MSY carrying capacity. Therefore the habitat in the pic could probably support at least 40 DPSM on a sustainable basis.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
No where in the state are deer limited to only striped maple. Furthermore studies show that an over browsed forest of beech ,birch and striped maple can support 40 DPSM at the MSY carrying capacity. Therefore the habitat in the pic could probably support at least 40 DPSM on a sustainable basis.
Once again you are basing way too much of your opinion on what you read in some report that suited your opinion instead of the realities of what actually occurs in nature. You need to get some practical experience in the realities of nature instead of just spouting out of context snippets from reports and journals.

It is increasing obvious that you quite simply have no idea what the realities of nature are.

I have seen the dead deer that tried living at far fewer then 40 over winter deer per square mile even when they had better browse then beech, birch and striped maple, so in know first hand that any report you read that nonsense in is full of bologna unless they were only evaluating the ability of those deer to survive during one winter of limited snow conditions before they were removed to better habitat or fewer deer.

Provide the link to the complete study where you are getting your opinion so we can see how far out of context your comments really are.

R.S. Bodenhorn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.