Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Eastern shore Maryland hunting >

Eastern shore Maryland hunting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Eastern shore Maryland hunting

Old 07-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Spike

Default Eastern shore Maryland hunting

Hello,
I am doing some research on the Eastern shore region of Maryland because I am being offered a job position in Salisbury,MD. I am unsure of what to expect from the transition from the Central PA region.
I am not finding much as of sportsman's clubs to get involved with so I can have a local place to chat with fellow sportsmen,shoot my bow and guns.
I am also not sure if I will have a difficult time finding open areas to be able to hunt. I seem to locate hunt clubs by I really want to live here and not pay per day to hunt in a place.
I don't know if you could point me in the right direction as of organizations to join in the area and how the hunting of Turkey and deer ranks as far as the population and the available huntable lands that can be offered. By looking at maps the area seems to be abundant of farms and woods but for the most part do farmers allow hunting and are the woods extremely thick compared to the hardwoods of PA?
Thank you,
Mike
Old 07-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

Smile eastern shore

He is some of the things about Md Eastern shore. Yes you are right about farmers letting you hunt on their land, if you are not family or born on the shore you are an outsider. (NOW THER ARE AWAYS EXCEPTION) but not alot.You need to find a Club to get into ( hard to Find ) I saw opening here recent on Craigs List Easten shore. The lumber Companies sold the State land a few years back and it gave more Public land to Hunt on. I have had bad experince wuth Public Land . when it became light out I looked around and Thought I was in a Pumpkin patch, a deer would have not made it 20 yrds, I got down and Left.
The woods are not as Thick as Pa but Good Hard woods are on the shore. Most people like the farm feilds. people Kill big deer off the shore every year.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:28 AM
Typical Buck

I was just over to Waldorf and Great Mills md. last weekend with my sons baseball team and was beside myself with the Bucks that we saw on the way back to Va. each night! There was alot of awesome farmland and im sure it would be well worth the effort to at least try to gain permission. I was looking at a md. map and also saw a few wildlife mgnt.areas that i was thinking might be worth giving a look at.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Spike

Hello,
Thank you for the replies.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

I don't agree with any of these summaries. I grew up in N.E.P.A. and lived there till I graduated college. I have been on the Eastern shore now for 4 years. And the public land hunting is the best hunting I have ever had, and I have a 200 acre family farm in P.A. My girlfriend works at the the university in Salisbury and I can tell you there are thousands of acres of public land on the eastern shore between the bay bridge and Ocean city. It is nothing like P.A. It is flat thick and heavily populated with deer. The land the the lumber companies sold is extremely thick, at times not penetrable. Deer can hide here on the shore. If you hunt hard and put your time in there are great opportunities on the shore and you wont have to pay the ridiculous amount of money for clubs to kill solid deer. good luck. P.S. Pocomoke is 25 mins south of Salisbury and has a couple thousand acres of public hunting with a high deer population and some good bucks on it.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

I dont hunt much in MD anymore...just in DE now...but I can say that some of the biggest deer i have ever seen (rack/body) were either around Rt 50 in Delmar or when i launch my boat at Indian Head Naval Station...and up in Mattawoman Creek....MD has tons and tons of state land and the quality deer to draw you to hunt there.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:46 AM
bigcountry

Just recently lots of public land has opened in MD. Its all around Cambridge. ONly an hour away from you.

If you want a lease,expect to pay top dollar. I mean real top dollar. I pay 2K to 500acres with 7 other guys.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Screw that... I enjoy killing my spikes and does and once in a while I put a decent 8 in the dirt...

I don't have a lot of friends... So the need for the 18" wall hanger to brag to all my cronies aint there...

Good HUNTING
Old 07-27-2009, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
Screw that... I enjoy killing my spikes and does and once in a while I put a decent 8 in the dirt...

I don't have a lot of friends... So the need for the 18" wall hanger to brag to all my cronies aint there...

Good HUNTING
What this guy said.

I hunt with a couple other guys. If any of us shoots a deer it is a trophy for the season. We don't care about antlers as much. If we get a good antlered deer it is that much better. Not a requirement though.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

there is alot of great public hunting land all within 30-40mins of salisbury and sum within 10mins! my father and i hunt the public lands all the time. we have 2 farms we are able to hunt and still do our public land gig. my father kills 6-10 deer every yr and id say ovr half of them are off md and del public lands. i kill 1 or 2 nice bucks every yr. a few off the state land and a few off our private land. most of the woods is thick cover but thats the way i like it. the thicker the better. thats where the big boys are. good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.