Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

tick decline

Old 08-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by marshall9779
I just went tromping around the Patuxent River State Park in MD yesterday doing some scouting and I was surprised to find that I had not gotten a single tick while I was out. I was trudging through some pretty thick brush at times too.

I wasn't so lucky, I dug one out of my back last night. The first one to bury himself in me this year. Looked like one of those brown dog ticks. I didn't get lyme yet, for as much as I get bitten, I know my luck is going to run out.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

I wasn't so lucky, I dug one out of my back last night.
That sounds like quite an accomplishment. I have trouble scratching my back , no less digging out a tick.

An article in our local paper said that the wet weather resulted in a significant increase in the number of ticks ,but I have experienced a significant decrease.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by marshall9779
I just went tromping around the Patuxent River State Park in MD yesterday doing some scouting and I was surprised to find that I had not gotten a single tick while I was out. I was trudging through some pretty thick brush at times too.
You have a PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:43 AM
Fork Horn

Ok 1 more time.get some SAWYER PERMETHRIN.spray everything let dry go hunt or just walking come home put in bag for next time.no more ticks.i spend alot of time in the woods and this stuff works great just stay up wind when you spray it
Old 08-05-2009, 03:00 AM
Typical Buck

Yep Permethrin is what you want to use. Ticks are on the rise in my area. I hate em
Old 08-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

.....Haven't read anything here but the comments on this page, but I'll add my $.02.....Seems to me that earlier on in the spring, ticks were just as abundant as ever, but recently I've noticed a substantial decrease in them. The Lab is just not coming home with nearly as many as he usually does after a romp or two in the fields out back, and I'm not seeing them on myself much either. Hey.... believe me, I'm sure not complaining about it......
Old 08-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
That sounds like quite an accomplishment. I have trouble scratching my back , no less digging out a tick.
Not really, Just reach back over your shoulder. grab the tick with your fingers and yank him out.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Pawildman
.....Haven't read anything here but the comments on this page, but I'll add my $.02.....Seems to me that earlier on in the spring, ticks were just as abundant as ever, but recently I've noticed a substantial decrease in them. The Lab is just not coming home with nearly as many as he usually does after a romp or two in the fields out back, and I'm not seeing them on myself much either. Hey.... believe me, I'm sure not complaining about it......

they will return in about middle of october and sometimes in jan on warm days.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where do you suppose the ticks went?Did they head south with the mountain lions.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DougE
Where do you suppose the ticks went?Did they head south with the mountain lions.

Doug....Remember several years ago when I was told that the deer were rounded up and taken "south" for the winter?? I did a little investigating and found out it was Curwensville. I assume it's the same for the ticks..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.