Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Looking to buy a good pair of cold weather boots >

Looking to buy a good pair of cold weather boots

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Looking to buy a good pair of cold weather boots

Old 07-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking to buy a good pair of cold weather boots

I have been wearing Muck boots for 7 years now and they are warm, comfortable and very light weight. They are like wearing bedroom slippers in the woods. I just wear a pair of lightweight white cotton gym socks, slip my muck boots on and my feet are warm all day. Pike
Old 07-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have three pairs of much boots.The woody max boots are warm,light and like Jeff said,as comfortable as bedroom slippers.My only complaint is that the uppers are pretty easy to tear.I don't wear them on bear drives.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Had two pairs of Rocky's got five years out of the first pair and not even a year out of the second pair. Sent second pair back to Rocky twice because of leak, They said they couldn't find leak and would not replace them.. Went to Cabela's 800-Gram All-Leather Iron Ridge Hunting Boots. Purchased them 13 years ago and still holding up great. [/align][/align]Pike or Doug: Where did you find the Muck boot brand?[/align]
Old 07-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Spike

I noticed alot of problems being posted about Rocky boots.That's why I need a new pair.I bought a pair of Rockies about 5 years ago.They were great until last year.
I noticed my feet getting wet and looked at the soles.They were cracking and pieces were falling off all over the bottom of the boot.All that was left was felt on the bottom by the time I got out of the woods.I still don't understand what made them fall apart so fast.I always take them off before driving my truck.They were never in any gas or oil.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: blkpowder

Had two pairs of Rocky's got five years out of the first pair and not even a year out of the second pair. Sent second pair back to Rocky twice because of leak, They said they couldn't find leak and would not replace them.. Went to Cabela's 800-Gram All-Leather Iron Ridge Hunting Boots. Purchased them 13 years ago and still holding up great.

I buy them locally at a feed store but you canget them at a variety of places,including Cabelas and Bass pro.
[/align]
[/align]Pike or Doug: Where did you find the Muck boot brand?
[/align]
Old 07-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Doug,I checked up on the Muck boots on Cabela's web-site. It says the uppers stretch to fit snug. Is it difficult to get them up over insulated clothing?[/align]
Old 07-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

i have a pair of Rocky's and they're good until about 15 degrees F. They have held up pretty good too. I abuse the crap out them in the woods cutting trees and brush. I'm sure if I bought them a little bigger they'd be a bit better warmth-wise. I don't have any issues with the wear on them, though, and the grip is so good on them I'd swear they had opposable thumbs. They grab everything.

I wouldn't say they are the warmest though, even though it says "800 gram Thinsulate"

Last edited by RyanATiffany; 07-30-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:06 AM
Typical Buck

Mostly wear light weight Wolverine pigskins with 400(?) grams of Thinsulate and Gore Tex liners. They're really only water proof if you keep them treated with water proof suede spray, but they're comfy to walk in.

Have a pair of Rockys that have 900 grams of Thinsulate and Gore Tex liners, but only wear them when temps drop into the teens. No problems with cold feet, thus far. Got 'em for half price some years ago at Dick's, right after deer season was over.

Just about all the "name" boots are now made in China, from what I can tell?

Borrowed a buddy's extra pair of Sorel pacs back in the late 70s, that were pretty warm, but can't wear pacs due to lack of ankle support for my feets.

Only truly water proof leather boots I've ever owned, were the old green Brownings, but they weren't even close to keeping feet warm in really cold weather. Lasted about an hour and a half in them things, the year it was minus 20 on opening day of doe.

The soles fell of of the Brownings after about 12 years.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

I've always been a fan of LaCrosse boots. My feet get really cold thanks to diabetes, and this last pair of 1600 gram Thinsulate boots that I bought 2 years ago really keep my feet warm. Last year I spent a whole day during the flinter season sneaking up a small mountain brook and they never leaked a drop and my feet were warm all day.