Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Sunday Bowhunting in PA? >

Sunday Bowhunting in PA?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Sunday Bowhunting in PA?

Old 07-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sunday Bowhunting in PA?

ok steve bad news i killed more game with a bow then you ever will.I was PSAA champ for 3 years and on the PSAA team champ for 2 years.Till i lost my right eye and the use of my left arm i shot bow every day.I have never stuck a deer a lost it'how many did you' at 80 yards i can put 5 out of 5 in a pie plate can you do it at 40 yards?Come to pa and shoot we shoot from 7 yards to 80 yards
Old 07-05-2009, 02:59 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: shump

ok steve bad news i killed more game with a bow then you ever will.I was PSAA champ for 3 years and on the PSAA team champ for 2 years.Till i lost my right eye and the use of my left arm i shot bow every day.I have never stuck a deer a lost it'how many did you' at 80 yards i can put 5 out of 5 in a pie plate can you do it at 40 yards?Come to pa and shoot we shoot from 7 yards to 80 yards
Being a PSAA champ like you say you are,,,i would think you would know better than to promote 60-70 yd shots with a bow at live game! I KNOW that those shots can be made and are made on a regular basis,,,done by guys that have great abilities and circumstances,,,,but i would not promote the average hunter to take those kinda shots,,,and another thing,,,,if you have hunted with the bow and shot as many as you are letting on,,,it's hard to imagine that you have NEVER lost one due to a bad hit,,,,but if you hav'nt i congratulate you,,and 30 back pats for the effort!
Old 07-05-2009, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

shump - your accomplishments if true are noteworthy.

Your reccomendations for bowhunters are not.

Steve
Old 07-05-2009, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

How many archers are proficient at blood trailing? Over the years I know of a lot more archers that have hit and lost a deer than rifle hunters and know a lot more rifle hunters than archers. The ability to make a killing shot is more important than the ability to track a deer because of an improperly laced shot.
Obviously, the majority of your statements are made simply to incite, or simply evidence of your inexperience.

The ability to " make a killing shot ", and the ability to track a wounded animal MUST go hand-in-hand, or, you are exhibiting a total lack of respect for the resource. Both can only be learned by practice and experience. I know many experienced, ethical hunters { including myself } that have made, in your words " killing shots ", both with bew and firearm, and the animal did not drop in it's tracks, necessitating need to TRACK, sometimes with no blood trail, sometimes no snow.

I can only hope that inexperienced hunters who look to this site for knowledge are not taking your offerings as " WORD ".
Old 07-05-2009, 04:09 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rem700man

Being a PSAA champ like you say you are,,,i would think you would know better than to promote 60-70 yd shots with a bow at live game! I KNOW that those shots can be made and are made on a regular basis,,,done by guys that have great abilities and circumstances,,,,but i would not promote the average hunter to take those kinda shots
It's no different than promoting 600-700 yardshots with a rifle at deer sized animals.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:12 AM
Fork Horn

I would never tell anyone to take a long shot.and thank you rem for a pat on the back.The point is alot of the bow hunters today even at 20 yards can not put 5 out of 5 in a pie plate.I know the same guys year after year stick 3-4and more deer.And no i never lost a deer bow hunting is not just shooting it is tracking to.My first bow kill was 1975 i hit her just befor dark and could not find her.i did not sleep all night went back out and did not find her till lunch time.she was still good but that was my kick in the butt it was a bad shot.I was 13 and from that day on i shot just about everyday.This will be my last post on this i do not come on this to fight online it just pissed me off when steve put this "Obviously not a bowhunter - probably a bow hater".
Old 07-05-2009, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

shump - I should have asked 1st - sorry.

But you have to admit wanting proficiency tests to 60 or 70 yards for bowhunters would be failed by most effectively doing away with bowhunting. Hence my suspicion of your motivation and why I questioned it.

Steve
Old 07-05-2009, 04:43 AM
Typical Buck

The point is alot of the bow hunters today even at 20 yards can not put 5 out of 5 in a pie plate.
5 out of 5 in a pie plateat 20 yardsshould be automatic. You are right, you shouldn't be shooting at live game if you can't do that.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

Thank You steve and Thank You pats.i use to teach kids how to shoot on weekends at our gun club if you would like to have some fun put a bow in a kids hands.give your kid a bow and you will have a hunter.give your kid a video game and you will have house flower
Old 07-05-2009, 05:07 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

I feel it was irresponsible to pass the introduction of a new weapon intoarchery when guys who rifle hunt will for the most part be the new Xbow hunter. How many are proficient at blood trailing when only ever having to do it 3 or so times in their gunhunting careers.
How many archers are proficient at blood trailing? Over the years I know of a lot more archers that have hit and lost a deer than rifle hunters and know a lot more rifle hunters than archers. The ability to make a killing shot is more important than the ability to track a deer because of an improperly laced shot.
You just made my point. Yes more deer are unrecovered in archery because nearly all deerneed to be blood trailed unlike when using a high powered rifle and rarely does the deer travel more than 60 yds. How many deer have you seen hit with an arrow and travel 200 yds when if hit there with a bullet would have only went a few feet? Shock and trauma is a much different method of bringing down game than hemorrhage is.But the ability and responsibility to track in my opinion is no less important than being an accurate shot.
I also feel it would be great to establish a proficiency qualification in order to purchase an archery license. I shoot all year round and always havebecause 1. I enjoy shooting and 2. I am always trying to become better.

Quick Reply: Sunday Bowhunting in PA?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.