Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA VOTED WORST DEER STATE IN NATION >

PA VOTED WORST DEER STATE IN NATION

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA VOTED WORST DEER STATE IN NATION

Old 05-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: PA VOTED WORST DEER STATE IN NATION

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1

I'm glad i don't have to depend on the PGC for my deer. We are working hard to circumvent there interference in our properties by deer management techniques that work. Yes, we take does, but far less than the average allowed. We buy doe licenses to save deer from obliuteration in 2D. We patrol our grounds and offer the shortcuts to tresspassers. Quit bitching about the PGC and work around their clumsy efforts. It will take 5-7 years but your deer herd will come around for you. As far as licenses and not purchasing, oh well that has been going on in the woods by the locals for years. The freaking GW's know who they are and bust em' but it doesn't matter to a lawbreaker.
I think we have to change our techniques of hunting, change the way we care for deer and take that burden on ourselves. If you wait on them it is going to be too late and I'll be tossing you off our grounds cause we have deer. Lease it and take care of it if you have to. The PGC is too busy chasing it's tail and looking for violations of baclk tags on backwards to generate monies to care about the herd. Do somehting for yourselves, quit depending on a commision that is ineffective at best if not on it's way to extinction!
AMEN ,GOOD post
Old 05-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

Btb:
Yes you have adapted to "some" changes,,,you hunt out of state on a lease that is being managed to fit your needs,,,same as i do,,,i am overwhelmed with deer here in va and i am blessed with the opportunity to hunt some of the best hunting land this state has to offer,,,but nonetheless,,,,it sure would be nice to see at least 10 different deer a day when i come to Pa. to hunt,,,I know you get your deer every year in Pa. as well,,,but i would be willing to bet that the area you get it in has not been submitted to relentless hunting pressure by guys that have an undetermined amount of tags and just kill the sh!t out of every deer they see. And i would also be willing to go out on a limb and say that if you dont or have not seen a problem with the current deer status in your state,,,than i would not see your face planted all over these forums
Old 05-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Banned

"The only reason PA is getting any negative press is because of the whining from the likes of Corny."

Yes. The majority of us who are not satisfied with blanket wholesale slaughter, complete lies, a deer plan that pgcs own data shows is a miserable failure.

" Hunters are still finding the deer"

And some of us would find a few if there were only 3....SO what the hell does that have to do with anything? LMAO.

" and the average buck has improved."

Undeniable. SO? That in itself is meaningless. There are so many fewer buck that "averages" arent gonna do a helluva lot. If you have A ten point, a 9 point, an 8 a 6 and 2 fours in a deer herd, and in another all you have is 2 eight points, the AVERAGE of the second is LARGER than the first. I dont know about you, but Id sure as hell rather hunt the first. That shows how intentionally misleading your statement was.

"Oops I guees I'm whining again by your definition LOL!"

No. Just more deception. And not by my definition. By Websters.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rem700man

Btb:
Yes you have adapted to "some" changes,,,you hunt out of state on a lease that is being managed to fit your needs,,,same as i do,,,i am overwhelmed with deer here in va and i am blessed with the opportunity to hunt some of the best hunting land this state has to offer,,,but nonetheless,,,,it sure would be nice to see at least 10 different deer a day when i come to Pa. to hunt,,,I know you get your deer every year in Pa. as well,,,but i would be willing to bet that the area you get it in has not been submitted to relentless hunting pressure by guys that have an undetermined amount of tags and just kill the sh!t out of every deer they see. And i would also be willing to go out on a limb and say that if you dont or have not seen a problem with the current deer status in your state,,,than i would not see your face planted all over these forums
You are correct that I have a lease out of the state and yes, that is my best deer hunting. I've been going out there for 12 years now, long before AR/HR and that has nothingto dowith my Pa experiences except that it has shown me how deer ought to be managed

What you don't know much about are my hunting areas here in PA. I live on the 2B 2D border and naturally spend more time closer to home in archery season. I also have a camp in 2F on the edge of the ANF and can tell you that2F is the area where the most positive changehastaken place since AR/HR.

Our camp gang has definitely noticed less deer in 2F but the correspondingupgrade in quality and size of the bucks and size of the does has been just as noticeable. We have found new hunting spots in 2F and have managed to do very wellon public ground without having to get way back in away from the roads. We even have a few guys who qualify for handicap plates that manage to consistently see and shoot good bucks. Does arent running all over us but we see plenty and take a few each season

As for my observations after AR/HR in 2B (an SRA). It's there that I've noticedlittle improvement in the average buck while seeing less does but thats not surprising considering the access issues that protect bucks to an older age. SRA's are a totally different ball game.

In 2D where all but 5 acres of the ground I hunt is open to all, again, the buck hunting is better and the doe hunting is still very good.

Good deer hunting isn't that hard to find. Excellent deer hunting is available for those willing to put in the time. The only thing that has changed is that the deer pinballgame on the Monday after thanksgiving is now a thing of the past. I'll certainly not mourn the loss of that tradition
Old 05-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1

I think we have to change our techniques of hunting, change the way we care for deer and take that burden on ourselves.
Telling some hunters in this state not to buy every tag they can get and not kill every deer they see is like putting a needle in front of a heroin addict and tellthemnot to shoot up.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:42 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Cornelius08

"That is pretty good news to me. Hopefully a few less people will come to PA and hunt because of this survey"

Then you should be tickled pink. Because out of state license sales are declining. Guess people just dont want to pay that much cash to hunt a dud state with a failed deer plan when they have much better hunting at home for much less cash.
I'm a MD resident that decided to hunt PA on a whim last November for the first time. I cannot wait to go back! The bucks I saw in just a few days of hunting amazed me. I have absolutely NO desire to hunt MD anymore. I can see more deer in MD, but the quality of buck and the buck-to-doe ratio in PA astounded me. Makes for great hunting. I hear complaints from some of the PA residents I now hunt with regarding too many does being killed, but I am one non-resident who can't wait to hit the PA woods this fall, and am thankful for the opportunity.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmmm... Maybe PA's problem is all the 18,465,724 hunters they have in that state. Just kidding... There's probably way more hunters than deer, and everyone complains.

I have been all over PA, around PA, across PA, etc.. so, yeah, I know the state well (living down here in Richmond, VA - you can't get to western/upstate NY to visit relatives without going through PA!). Don't get me wrong... it's a nice state.

Let me "drop a dime" on an awesomeplace for deer hunting. You PA guys might know exactly where this is. Punch up "St. Clairesville, PA" in Mapquest.com. ....better yet, here:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Saint+Clairsville&state=PA&count ry=US&latitude=40.1567&longitude=-78.5103&geocode=CITY

We were heading up to my wife's family in Buffalo, NY and got a late start out of Richmond, VA after work. (we avoid DC and the beltway like the plague, and always take Route 17 to cut across/up VA to I-81 in Front Royal/Winchester area. Then we cut over again in Hagerstown, MD to I-70 and head up to PA to the PA Tnpk in Breezewood. Then head over to Bedford and grab I-99/Route 220).

Anyway.... we crashed in a motel in Bedford, PA for the night.

While driving northbound on I-99 the next morning, just before the exit for St. Clairesville and Osterburg, I happen to look over to my right, and almost drove off the road!!! I saw the biggest, most massive, buck trailing a group of 8 does in a field that parallels I-99. (on that mapquest link, zoom in some more, then look a little south from the St. Clairesville exit, then switch to the "Aerial View" on mapquest). See the big long narrow group of fields next to I-99 on the right? That's it.... right there... [8D]

I don't know who owns those fields or what road or houses are around, but, I'm just saying Holy Mother of God... I have never seen so many deer concentrated in one place - and the the biggest racked buck I have ever seen besides on TV!!!!

I have always wanted to go back and try to hunt PA, but I don't have a place to go, nor any land or permission. PA is/was always a legendary place to go deer hunting. It's always been like that for decades. Heck, my dad, uncles, and grandfather, used to talk about going deer hunting in PA - and that was back in the 1950's!!!

Old 05-29-2009, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Guys,

You have me confused. PA is supposed to be among the worst deer states, yet everyone on here talks about filling their tags, and not only that often doing it with big bucks. The caveat seems to be that you can kill deer but it takes a lot of effort. You might want to compare that scenario with other states where folks put in lots of effort too but don't even kill a doe let alone a nice buck. I remember hunting in states like Arkansas and Louisiana for days and not even seeing a deer. Yet PA. is supposed to be among the worstbecause you have to put in some extra effort to fill your tag. Something doesnt sound right here. And no I'm not looking to pick an argument. I would really like to see some more substantial logic as to why PA would be among the worst states in the union for deer comapred to some other states.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO the amount of effort a hunter puts forth should not be a factor in comparing the quality of hunting in various states. In many states you can have good hunting sitting in a tower stand all day and the only effort expended is climbing in and out of the stand. But , a hunter hunting out of a tower stand in 2 G with a PS DD of around 12 DPSM could sit in his stand all day and not see a deer.

Due to the large variation in DDs throughout the state it is difficult to compare the quality of the hunting in the entire state to another state. With 12 PS DPSM in 2G it may be comparable to hunting Maine or Vermont . but with 22 PS DPSM 2F it might be comparable to hunting WVA or Va.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

"Finally telling the truth about your problem? The noise generally comes from unskilled hunters like you who used to be able to stumble into a deer. Now you have to hunt. It's not as easy as it used to be. Poor Corny!"

I know nothing about Corny's ability to hunt or his history as a hunter. Do you know him personally? Have you ever hunted with him or observed him? Or is this just more sh*t slinging and personal attacks?

Quick Reply: PA VOTED WORST DEER STATE IN NATION

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.