Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 At this period of time, do you favor a hunting license increase? >

At this period of time, do you favor a hunting license increase?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

At this period of time, do you favor a hunting license increase?

Old 04-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: At this period of time, do you favor a hunting license increase?

The deer numbers in much of the northern tier have been controlled by the various environmental conditions, instead of the low harvests, for a long time. That isn’t good management it is horrible management because it really isn’t management at all. That is what the hunters and politicians demanded and that is what they got.
I have no idea how you could possibly come to such a convoluted and irrational decision. But, just for laughs,let's see if you can come up with a reason why,according to you, the PGC managed the southern tier counties so well and let the herd in the northern tier counties were totally mismanaged according to you ? You can't blame the hunters and politicians because the PGC increased and decreased allocations at will during that period and they also implemented bonus tags in 1988.
But, the reason those good habitat areas have such high fawn recruitment is because they have been harvesting enough deer to protect the habitat. And, conversely the reason the poor habitat areas have such low fawn recruitment is simply because there isn’t food to keep the does healthy enough to produce and feed the fawns they carried through the winter and spring.

That simply is not true. The southern tier counties have high recruitment because they have much higher OWDDs than the northern tier counties. A simple analysis of the reproductive rates proves that is the case.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok rsb just have one question on my land on most days and i am talking 1300 to 1500 you can see about 30 deer
out feeding in the daylight. Yet i have never run across a deer that has starved to death. I nor anyone hunting one hunting on me has killed a thin or almost starved deer. How can 1 property in 3c hold that many deer for atleast 30 years withoutthem self destructing. Yet other areas cant hold 15
Old 04-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: R.S.B.

ORIGINAL: J Pike

RSB. on very negative note 924,000 PA. deer hunters only harvested 335,850 deer during the 2008-09 season.
Meanwhile over in OH. 450,000 deer hunters harvested 252,017 deer during the 2008-09 season.
But I have a really good idea for the PGC., since the PGC. supporters on this site claim that the large majority of the hunters in PA. support the PGC. and the lic. fee increase why doesnt the PGC. just ask the hunters who do not bow hunt to purchase a bow stamp this year? The hunters who do not bear hunt to purchase a bear permit? And the hunters who do not turkey hunt to purchase a turkey tag and so on? No need for the legislature to get involved and no need for a Lic. fee increase. Pike

So you want to compare Pennsylvania to Ohio? That is fine, but let's do it fairly instead of the biased way you like to compare them.

Number of hunters per square mile:

Ohio……………….10.99
Penna………………20.62

Deer harvests per square mile:

Ohio………………6.15
Penna……………..7.49
RSB your the one that always tries to spin the #'s!!
But in this case you just proved my point!
Ohio has just over half as many hunters per square mile yet they harvest
just 1.34 less deer per square mile despite PA.'s general Firearms season is 14 days in length and HIGH POWERED RIFLES are legal and OH.'s Genral gun season is only 9 days in length and only shotguns and ML.'s are permitted to use. PA. also has the early season state wide firearm seasons and OH. has none.
If you truely wanted to be fair you would have included this info!! Pike
Old 04-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

RSB. on very negative note 924,000 PA. deer hunters only harvested 335,850 deer during the 2008-09 season.
Meanwhile over in OH. 450,000 deer hunters harvested 252,017 deer during the 2008-09 season.
But I have a really good idea for the PGC., since the PGC. supporters on this site claim that the large majority of the hunters in PA. support the PGC. and the lic. fee increase why doesnt the PGC. just ask the hunters who do not bow hunt to purchase a bow stamp this year? The hunters who do not bear hunt to purchase a bear permit? And the hunters who do not turkey hunt to purchase a turkey tag and so on? No need for the legislature to get involved and no need for a Lic. fee increase. Pike
Therefore, I would suspect that if Pennsylvania only had half as many hunters the hunter success rate here would most likely exceed the success rate in Ohio.
LMAO!!! You will try to spin anything wont you? As you and everyone else here knows deer are most vulnarable when they are on their feet and once they realize its gun season the deer go under ground and dont move during daylight unless PREASURE from hunters bump them and causes the deer to move!! And the more hunters you have per square mile hunting during gun season ( the season that the majority of PA.'s and OH.'s deer are harvested) the better the chance that any deer in the area are going to get pushed into moving during daylight and killed by hunters. I still cant believe you tried to say that. Pike
Old 04-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

But, since we should be talking about license fees how about we go ahead and do that.
In Ohio their Conservation Department is not self funded, like here in Pennsylvania. They got their money, to operate, directly from their state general fund tax dollars every year. Every resident in their state pays for wildlife management and conservation, unlike here in Pennsylvania where all of the wildlife management is paid for by hunter dollars. Ohio also still gets thier share of P-R funds from the Federal Government, based on license sales, the same as Pennsylvania and every other state, too.

Yet, an Ohio resident pays over three times as much to hunt deer and turkey as what a Pennsylvania resident pays.

So, I agree lets get our hunting license prices on par with Ohio and still have all of the state’s tax payers supporting wildlife management and conservation with their general taxes. I suspect if we do that we will only have half as many hunters as what we have now, and compare with Ohio’s hunter numbers. I suspect those hunters will still be able to harvest more deer then they do in Ohio though so our hunter success rate would then also be much higher then it is in Ohio.

How about that I agree with Pike we need to be more like Ohio.

So, you should march right down to you Legislator’s office tomorrow morning and demand that the Pennsylvania hunting license prices triple. Also demand that even after they do that the Game Commission still should to be funded from the state’s general taxes so everyone, instead of just hunters, pays thier share for wildlife management, just like things are done in Ohio.

Do you still want to compare and tell us how good they have it in Ohio?

R.S. Bodenhorn
RSB. First off you are lieing about OH. hunters having to pay over 3 times as much to hunt deer and turkey.

Second, ofcourse OH. hunters are going to have to pay more to hunt because they have less than half as many hunters.

But you are right that the ODNR receives money from the genral fund, How is that a bad thing?
The PGC. claims that they are an """ Independant Agency""" but other than funds their is nothing independant about them!! PLEASE EXPLAIN what is so "" independant"" about the PGC. other than how it is funded? And the hunters in OH. have a say on how things are done by the ODNR. and here in PA. our hunters have zero say!!
Here in PA. the Farm Bureau, DCNR, Audobon Soc. and timber industry control the PGC. ( thats why we do not and never will have sunday hunting and are trying to manage our herd at under 10 dpsm)
In contrast in OH. the hunters wanted sunday hunting and boom they got it!! They wanted their gun season to be extended and boom they got it!!
they wanted a youth either sex gun season smack dab in the middle of the rut and boom they got it!!
Oh thats right the PGC. just made crossbows legal even though 9 out of 10 PA. hunters didnt want them!! Pike
Old 04-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

for those who want to pay the pgc more

If you took your shirt to the dry cleaner with astain to get it cleaned, Now you go to pick it up stains still there
they saythat will be 20 bucks. you go it still has a stain,They then say ya but we can clean it again for 30 bucks.
What are you gonna do pay more for the same bad services or say take a fflying leap

Old 04-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Banned

I was over on another site just now and saw some funny posts. Topic was that ridiculous price comparison chart that some knucklehead made up with terribly inaccurate comparisons to fool the legislators... Anyway, Ive been talkiing on a couple of sites about the huge inaccuracies, terribly favorable to Pa price manipulatingand the cheap states being left out etc... Someone agrees I guess, cause theyre saying the chart compares apples and bananas on hpa. (LOL)

Funniest part the chart lists WV license at $43.WV resident and pgcsupporter WVGINOchimed in with:

"Not sure where they get the number for WV. For $33 you gat a sportsman license. It's a combo fishing/hunting license. You can fish, small game hunt, turkey hunt spring and fall, waterfowl hunt, trap, deer archery, deer rifle and deer muzzie. Base license lets you harvest three deer, all of which can be bucks.

I dont know who made up that chart but they are either one clueless individual or sure doesnt believe in honesty! 10 dollars off the mark according to Gino for a combo license, and even if it werent for that, theyare comparing a hunting, archery, muzzleloader, trapping + + +, license to Pa's! LOL! Real bargain here in the keystone state eh? Add up total for a fishing hunting trapping muzzleload and archery license for Pa and compare to WV! LMAO!

Compare Pa $101.70
WestVirginia $33.00
Old 04-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cornelius08

I was over on another site just now and saw some funny posts. Topic was that ridiculous price comparison chart that some knucklehead made up with terribly inaccurate comparisons to fool the legislators... Anyway, Ive been talkiing on a couple of sites about the huge inaccuracies, terribly favorable to Pa price manipulatingand the cheap states being left out etc... Someone agrees I guess, cause theyre saying the chart compares apples and bananas on hpa. (LOL)

Funniest part the chart lists WV license at $43.WV resident and pgcsupporter WVGINOchimed in with:

"Not sure where they get the number for WV. For $33 you gat a sportsman license. It's a combo fishing/hunting license. You can fish, small game hunt, turkey hunt spring and fall, waterfowl hunt, trap, deer archery, deer rifle and deer muzzie. Base license lets you harvest three deer, all of which can be bucks.

I dont know who made up that chart but they are either one clueless individual or sure doesnt believe in honesty! 10 dollars off the mark according to Gino, and even if it werent for that, theyare comparing a hunting, archery, muzzleloader, trapping + + +, license to Pa's! LOL! Real bargain here in the keystone state eh? Add up total for a fishing hunting trapping muzzleload and archery license for Pa and compare to WV! LMAO!

hpa let a non supporter statement like the apples bananas fly
last i knew that was the pgc site thought they all would want a increase
Old 04-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Banned

They have to keep one or two token "punching bags" that they can gang up on. As long as they arent too damaging. Would look even more ridiculous than it already is if they had NO dissenting comments! LOL. What do you think legislators would think if every single post of thousands were YES pgc. YES pgc. YES pgc. Its bad nuff as is with 999 out of a thousand! LOL. See the "damaging" statments and proof Ive posted here and other forums about the deer plan...that verythought evoking stuff is what they DO NOT allow to continue on hpa. Too damaging by far. Id imagine they also want their poll results on pgc issues to show what they would like. Doesnt really pay for a politcal site to allow all the majority of dissenters to vote against everythingpgc and supporterswants! LOL

Ive talked to one legislator about that site he stated he knew exactly what was the deal over there as he follows some of the chit chat. Hes also aware of the "show" they try to put on.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: fellas2

RSB,please tell me how many hours you have spent afield in 2A ? You may consider youself and expert in Elk county,but unless you spend the time in the woods in 2A,please refrain from giving us your expert "opinion" of what's going on there.I would be curious to know if the PGC has any idea of how devastating EHD was in our little corner of the state and how they might have come to such a conclusion especially since most of their research is done on road kills and harvested deer.I personally know of over 100 deer killed by EHD just on three properties I hunt which translates to thousands across the WMU yet at no point did the PGC stop antlerless sales.That being said,2008 showed no reduction in antlerless license sales to compensate for the loss.As far as your post of the harvest data starting back in 1983

Unit…………83-87.……………88-92.……………93-97.…………..98-02.…………..03-07
1A…………..5.86.………………8.72.…… ……….10.02.…………..12.02.………….. 10.60
2A…………..5.75.………………8.75.…… ……….11.10.…………..13.30.………….. 13.78

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to explain a few reasons why the numbers increased that dramatically and it has nothing to do with the size of the herd "doubling" during that span.Anyone who has hunted there since 1980 as I have knows there were far more deer then than there is now,it all boils down to the number of actual hunters there harvesting the deer.Back in the 80's , 2A was a virtual untapped deer bonanaza simply due to the fact that so many guysmade their yearlt trek to"the big woods"to take part in that experience and were so successfull that there was no reason to change.As the herd decreased and the economy dictated,more and more hunters were forced to spend less timeand money traveling and hunting and more time at home and at work so the next best thing was to find places closer to home.And lo and behold,Greene and Washington counties became the new "hot spot" to go.It was onlya short drive for many western PA guys and back then,you could actually get permission to hunt many properties by asking the landowner.Common sense tells you that the more hunters taking advantage of such a bountifull supply of deer,the higher the harvest number will get.

It hasn’t been all that long since I hunted in unit 2A and I plan to hunt there again either this fall or during the late flintlock season. I have been seeing signs of over browsing in parts of unit 2A since the mid 1990’s.

But, it really wouldn’t matter how long it has been or even if I had never been there to figure out the area has had more deer then the habitat could sustain long term since I am able to read and understand the scientific study results. The deer live there 24 hours a day and seven days a week. Those deer provide the data that tells their story about how things are for them with their reproductive rates. They don’t have any way to mislead anyone about that data either, all they did was die to provide it.

There are also teams of trained researchers that collect data from the forested habitat throughout the unit using scientifically sound and tested methods. They spend thousands of man hours collecting that data every year. That data also shows that the unit has more deer then is good for the future of sustainable deer populations.

What do you or anyone else have to counter that scientifically collected data? Who should the professionals listen to the deer that are trying to survive with the existing habitat, or the opinions of hunters with opinions that are greatly varied all across the board?

As for the EHD mortalities aver a year ago I am sure they were high. Many of those mortality were confirmed and documented by the Game Commission. But, those occurred before the 2007 hunting season so the biggest affect was simply on the 2007 hunter harvests and success rates. Since the mortalities occurred before the season it certainly would mean fewer deer being available to the hunters. But, it doesn’t not mean fewer deer the next year after fawn recruitment unless there were other factors limiting fawn recruitment, such as declining habitat, as well.

I know some of you don’t like to or want to face those facts, but that doesn’t mean the facts aren’t still the facts.

R.S. Bodenhorn

Quick Reply: At this period of time, do you favor a hunting license increase?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.