Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Pa Deer Harvest results released >

Pa Deer Harvest results released

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa Deer Harvest results released

Old 03-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Banned

Default RE: Pa Deer Harvest results released

Well, my predictions in regards to 2A was spot on. The numbers clearly prove ehd whacked the herd good as well as too many tags.

We were supposed to be "stablizing" in 2A in 2005/06 season when we harvested 8500 buck. And again the next year and every year since was supposed stabilization. the 06/07 buck harvest was 8100. Rosenberry says the buck harvest is the most accurate determining factor of herd size/trends. Then in 2007/08 we harvest only 6600 bucks. Most of us in the wmu knew it was due to too many tags and ehd. We were told it was the weather and it was hunters not wanting to shoot buck in the ehd area. We were told this year would be a great one, thanks to all the bucks saved in the wmu by guys not shooting them and the weather. Was gonna be a banner year... Unless you were one who lives here and knew it would never come to pass....

The havest was 6700. Basically the exact same harvest as last year, even though weather was ideal and pgc was touting the ehd area as the second coming of illinois to all who would listen. Seems our herd has stabilized at a level where the stable buck harvest is 66-6700, when it was supposed to have stabilized back at around 8500.

Pgc is full of chit.
[:'(] Time to cut the rediculous allocations in 2A, I dont know how any data could be more clear.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

The statewide season long success rate for PA is more like 36%.

Multiple kills are irelevantbecause every virtually every hunter has the opportunity to take advantage of the multiple deer limits. The opportunity for success is all we really can reasonably ask for.

Our sucess rate is similar to W VA, withone of our neighboring states, for example.It has some diffefrences with PA but for the most partit has similar hunter numbers PSM, similar seasonsanda similar hunting culture

Old 03-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is not the truth ,so why did you post it? Please provide the PGC data that shows 36% of 924K hunters harvested a deer in 2008!!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

BTB,please tell me you're kidding with that link to how our beloved PGC estimates the harvest.I bet there aren't two people in this state than can follow those pages of BS and formulas and put any type of creedence behind them.In the past,we have been told the majoriy of the count comes from the report cards and have been invited to come to Harrisburg and count them if we like.Now we're told that actual reort card make up about one third of the estimate and the rest is left to some mathmatical formula Albert Einstein couldn't understand.Sounds like another case of mt Dad's old saying : if you can't dazzle them with you're brillance,baffle them with you're bull****" !!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: DennyF

Thats only a 33% success rate

So what's the success rate for the state you mentioned? 33% sounds pretty good to me, but what do I know?
I dont know the State numbers. Why because landowner residents dont need a license. Soit is impossible to match license bought and deer taken.And no one elseknows the truth either in any state I ever lived. All I can atest to isthe results in the area I own property and the check in stations where most of the rural county deer checkins take place. I know of nobody within 15 mile radius that did not get a deer. Out of all the licenses sold at a small but very busy general store evryone checked a deer in that bought a license there. . I wont tell the State or county because it took me 3 years to get the locals trust. When they found out I was from Pa. They got very disturbed and said you can go back where you came from if you have the typical attitude of Pa hunters.They have heard of the greedy that in areas like 5c that several years ago were taking 5 and 10 does.Plus Pa hunters have a reputation of being cheap and take ,but never spend a dime to put back. Is what they are saying.I hunt 105 acres and my neighbor has 400 acres. The average has been 140 deer passing in on ,thru and around the properties. He shoots only 8 pts and bigger. I shoot only 16 inch spreads and only 1 doe a year. But my area 15 miles around has a 100% score. And we are keeping it that way. Really aint no deer where I hunt ,so dont waste your timestay in Pa. Please. I will admit ,.sometimes it seems a little to easy to see a deer in my new paradise. And just think I dont even need to buy a license,stamp or nothin.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Multiple kills are irelevantbecause every virtually every hunter has the opportunity to take advantage of the multiple deer limits. The opportunity for success is all we really can reasonably ask for.

Our sucess rate is similar to W VA, withone of our neighboring states, for example.It has some diffefrences with PA but for the most partit has similar hunter numbers PSM, similar seasonsanda similar hunting culture

What a total idiot with that response.36%. NY did better harvest than we did if you look at the numbers.750k hunters and 85% of the land is private in NY compared to what it is in PA. Another moron who has no clue of what is what.

What an idiot.:eek :
Old 03-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

What a positiveaddition that was. I'd say welcome, but it wouldn't be sincere.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

That is not the truth ,so why did you post it? Please provide the PGC data that shows 36% of 924K hunters harvested a deer in 2008!!
Sorry, I actually used 900,000 and I should have used 924,000

323,000 deer were killed by 924,000 hunters....

323000/924000= 34.95% or 1 deer harvested for every 2.86 hunters
35% is the harvest ratio

Some huntersharvested more than one
Some hunters didn't harvest any
Some hunters don't hunt deer
Every hunter had the opportunity to hunt for and the possibility of harvesting a deer....

The harvest ratio per licensed hunter is still 34.95%

I realize that your personal harvest ratio is zero but that doesn't chnage the statewide results

Old 03-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: fellas2

BTB,please tell me you're kidding with that link to how our beloved PGC estimates the harvest.I bet there aren't two people in this state than can follow those pages of BS and formulas and put any type of creedence behind them.In the past,we have been told the majoriy of the count comes from the report cards and have been invited to come to Harrisburg and count them if we like.Now we're told that actual reort card make up about one third of the estimate and the rest is left to some mathmatical formula Albert Einstein couldn't understand.Sounds like another case of mt Dad's old saying : if you can't dazzle them with you're brillance,baffle them with you're bull****" !!!!
Rodger, the science of statistics has been around for a long time. The PGC uses statitical analysis to produce a reporting rate. They then apply the reporting rate to the actual reports. It's accurate the same way as it's accurate when the TV networks call the results of an election with only a small fraction of the votes in.

With POS licensing , we should have a mechanism available for a better reporting system but odds are that it really wont be substantially more accurate. What better reporting would hopefully do is negate the need for WCO's to check 25000+ deer at processors just so they can calculate an accuratereporting rate.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

As I've said, since being on these boards for a few years now. Buy your own land, post it and manage it the way you want. I don't see any major changes coming in the near future and the PGC can't control the kill on their land, until they develop a better antlerless system.

If you put your trust in the PGC and the Democrats running this state, you might wish someday, that you took my advice seriously. Even if the PGC folds up, I have a better chance of coming out ahead, than the hunter that depends on the SGL's.

Quick Reply: Pa Deer Harvest results released

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.