HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   DEER MANAGEMENT OPEN HOUSES (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/289138-deer-management-open-houses.html)

WCO R.W.J 03-13-2009 12:51 PM

DEER MANAGEMENT OPEN HOUSES

Wildlife Management Workshop
Where: Southwest Region: March 14, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at South Strabane Township Fire Station #2, located at 172 Oak Springs Road, Washington, Washington County. Directions: From I-70, take the Murtland Avenue Exit and go south on Route 19 to the first light. Turn right onto Oak Springs Road, and look for the fire station on the left.

Release #022-09

GAME COMMISSION TO LAUNCH THIRD ROUND OF DEER MANAGEMENT OPEN HOUSES

HARRISBURG – For the third consecutive year, the Pennsylvania Game Commission is hitting the road to bring deer management open houses to communities throughout the Commonwealth.
Open houses are used by the agency as an interactive public outreach tool that employs multimedia presentations, exhibits and wildlife managers to bring both the nuts-and-bolts and finer details of deer management to hunters, farmers and others whose lives are influenced by deer. The effort emphasizes bringing this powerful communications and educational tool to residents as a means to further the general public’s understanding of deer and deer management. The approach is bolstered by having agency employees on hand to engage participants who attend the open houses.
Open houses provide a means to cover wide-ranging topics through specialized stations set-up in a large hall. Stations are spaced out so participants who have questions and/or comments for station attendants can communicate in a one-on-one exchange without interruptions and with the expectation of getting answers immediately.
“Here’s your chance to interact with a deer biologist, or State Game Land manager, or forester,” explained Game Commission Executive Director Carl G. Roe. “And hopefully, one of the open houses will be close to your home. The goal here is to reach out to Pennsylvanians, both figuratively and literally. We hope that every person who attends an open house can better identify with our deer management program upon leaving.”
Six open houses are currently scheduled to be held in Pennsylvania. They will all have the same presentation: displays manned by agency staff. The displays are:

- Goals that Direct the Deer Program – Outlining the five goals of the deer management program;
- Management Goals are a Product of Public Input – Focuses on the participating stakeholders who were involved in developing the current deer plan goals;
- Where do you hunt? – Helps hunters take a critical look at the characteristics of habitat through visual representation;
- Deer Necessities - Identifies the preferences that guide deer in selecting habitat;
- Habitat Variability – Focuses on how habitat health is rated differently from one Wildlife Management Unit to another;
- Telemetry Study – Sheds light on the dispersal of young male deer;
- Deer Aging – Allows participants to learn how deer are aged through tooth wear; and
- Deer Management DVD - Nonstop presentation of the agency’s recently-produced deer management DVD, free copies of which will be available to open house visitors.
Open houses will be held in six different locations from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on a Saturday to maximize the opportunity for those interested in attending, and are being held in different locations than the two previous rounds to afford residents in other areas of the state to attend.

bluebird2 03-13-2009 02:01 PM

RE: DEER MANAGEMENT OPEN HOUSES

Has the attendance improved at these events? There were very few guys at the one I attended. I wasn't at all impressed by the setup, but it did give hunters a chance to have their questions answered by PGC staff, but even Dr. Rosenberry couldn't answer my question regarding the DDs in 2F and 2G.

WCO R.W.J 03-13-2009 02:10 PM

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Has the attendance improved at these events? There were very few guys at the one I attended. I wasn't at all impressed by the setup, but it did give hunters a chance to have their questions answered by PGC staff, but even Dr. Rosenberry couldn't answer my question regarding the DDs in 2F and 2G.
I dont know how well attended, this is the first in my County. I will let you know tomorrow evening.

bluebird2 03-13-2009 02:29 PM

Hop you have a good turn out and if you get a chance see if Dr. Rosenberry has an answer to my question about DDs in 2F and 2G. Thanks.

WCO R.W.J 03-15-2009 07:09 AM

We had 30 people show up. We had a Forester, a Deer biologist, a Land Manager, a Regional Biologist, The SW Regional Director, The SW Information and Education Supervisor, and two WCO's on hand to answer questions.

bawanajim 03-15-2009 07:17 AM

ORIGINAL: WCO R.W.J

We had 30 people show up. We had a Forester, a Deer biologist, a Land Manager, a Regional Biologist, The SW Regional Director, The SW Information and Education Supervisor, and two WCO's on hand to answer questions.
Do they have any plans for one anywhere near Meadville, 1A or1B ?

bluebird2 03-15-2009 07:56 AM

Sorry to hear you had such a poor turnout. I guess a lot of guys have heard all they want to hear about the current deer management plan.

BTBowhunter 03-15-2009 08:05 AM

RWJ

Do you have a list or a link to a list of the other open houses?

Never mind. Found it!!!

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?A=11&Q=176032

We missed the Northwest one Jim!

BTBowhunter 03-15-2009 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Sorry to hear you had such a poor turnout. I guess a lot of guys have heard all they want to hear about the current deer management plan.
Not quite. As with any event of this nature, no matter the subject, folks who are generally satisfied dont bother much with them. When the majority on any issue is satisfied with the status quo, informational events tend to attract only the diehards on both sides.

Lack of attendance at these things tends to indicate that the casual majority is basically satisfied.

Some guys probably couldn't make it because many taxidermist are finishing up on deer mounts and several hunters had appointments to pick up their deer heads.;)

bluebird2 03-15-2009 08:25 AM

Lack of attendance at these things tends to indicate that the casual majority is basically satisfied.
That is a fair job of spinning, but I doubt it has the slightest relation to reality If the PGC agreed with your position they would waste all that manpower and money so 30 people could ask questions.

We missed the Northwest one Jim!
Now that's funny. The two big PGC supporters didn't even know when the open houses were being held.