Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Some Good news In PA >

Some Good news In PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Some Good news In PA

Old 03-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Some Good news In PA

Maybe AJ52 will lock this thread up also, or maybe he likes these little games that have been going on for a long time, IMO the wrong people have been kicked off the site for over four years, you guys make me sick!!!!

Old 03-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

Jim, blkpowder, Greg, bowtruckBTBhunter, you guy are the trolls, I can't believe you can do that and get away with it, and the other guy slips up one time he is banned, yep blame it all on bluebird!! You can't prove him wrong so you attack him!![:@]

8. Do not engage in "flame-wars" or excessive exchange of confrontational postings. Debate is important, but users should not try to "pick a fight" with one another.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO Maverick was calling BWJ a troll since his post was in answer to my reply to BWJ. The only reason you guys post your insults and personal attacks is because you can't discuss deer management issues rationally and intelligently ,based on the facts.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Banned

I agree Losthorn.Not another hunting site on the net that would allow the behaviour they constantly display. Constantly change sujects to "personal attack". Constant sexual references, name calling on every thread.... And I couldnt care less, but when OTHERS were banned for LESS, or selectively publicly made an example of,that sux.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

IMHO Maverick was calling BWJ a troll since his post was in answer to my reply to BWJ. The only reason you guys post your insults and personal attacks is because you can't discuss deer management issues rationally and intelligently ,based on the facts.
You got it right Bluebird.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

That makes BTB, WRONG AGAIN!!!
Old 03-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

My family owns a large logging company here in central PA. I grew up around it and see or hear what impacts it has at the outcome. What we've seen over the last 30 years is that after an area is select cut, most of what shows up afterwards is maple. The problem with logging, as I see it, is that the demand for oak species far out weighs that of most others. Oak brings high dollar in the market and that is the targeted species generally. We remove most oak in a select cut and leave everything else. This everthing else usually is maple and pine species, which then in turn take over an area. Without oaks in an area, deer usually visit other areas where there are oaks to get to the acorns. The past season, some of my favorite, high producing stands had very little deer activity because of the lack of acorns on the ground (we got hit pretty hard with the gypsy moth).

Of course, logging does have a positive impact. The new browse that comes up a few years later is excellent food and cover.
Maybe we can get this thread back on track.

Basically, what you are saying is that because there is such a high demand on oak too many of them are taken from an area and not enough are left for seed. Is that correct? Wouldn't it also help if you were to take some of the pine and maple with the oak so that there would be less of them competing with the oaks that are left behind? Are the pines and maples left behind because there are no markets for them? If that is the case, why not just cut the pine and maples and leave them or use them firewood?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are the pines and maples left behind because there are no markets for them? If that is the case, why not just cut the pine and maples and leave them or use them firewood?
A few years ago a hunting club tried to sell a stand of huge hemlocks and they were told that it would cost more to harvest them then they were worth. Today , prices are so low that there isn't even a market for poplar saw logs so they are being chipped to make flake board. Loggers don't cut the junk trees like beech,soft maple , hophornbean and pine because it would severely reduce their profits. I have been cutting firewood for the past 2 months removing scrap trees from a stand of poplar,maple and ash and over 50% of the trees in the stand have no value other than for firewood.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Who got banned? Did I miss something?

Yes BB, the market on hemlock is really down in the last few years, because of the housing downturn.
Told you that before in regard to some discussion we had, can't remember exactly what.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Doug, How many guys bother with the late archery season in TL?
Pressure isn't as great during the late season but there's definately a fair number of guys hunting the late season and even during rifle season with their bows.I'd say that the success rate is definately higher in the late season because the deer concentrate more and they also get pushed into the property from surrounding areas.I know one guy that hunted almost every day in th early season and never killed a deer but he killed three doe after Christmas.I saved a tag for the late season and hunted less than 2 hours before killing a doe.

Quick Reply: Some Good news In PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.