Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 new york hunters ,should know. >

new york hunters ,should know.

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

new york hunters ,should know.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: new york hunters ,should know.

The area of NY i hunt has god awful genetics...
Don't you live downstate?

window.google_render_ad();
So points based AR would target the best genetics and give a possible lifetime pass to those bads ones you say are there.
DING<DING DING, we have a winner.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

The area of NY i hunt has god awful genetics...
Don't you live downstate?

window.google_render_ad();
So points based AR would target the best genetics and give a possible lifetime pass to those bads ones you say are there.
DING<DING DING, we have a winner.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Steve863

I am against AR in NYS I would go back to one buck per hunter for either ML, archery, or gun. This is the way it was back in the late 70's.
Wasn't really that way in the late 70's. Maybe you were allowed one buck between the ML, archery and gun tags, this I can't verify since I hunted with gun only back then, but one was also allowed to take an antlered buck on a deer management permit if they so chose. These days one cannot do that with the DMP permit.
Back in the late 70's you were allowed only 1 buck per hunter you received a buck tag and received stamps to archery hunt or ML hunt. Once you shot your buck you were done. All DMP's in the 70's were for anterless deer only and you needed up to 3 people to receive your anterless only tag. Now sometimes in the mid 80's they started giving out DMP's were in certain units you could take an anterled deer, anterless deer or deer of either sex. If I remember correctly it lasted around 3 years. I feel you should be allowed only 1 buck per hunter. Presently if you archery/ML huntyou get to take an additional buck.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

All DMP's in the 70's were for anterless deer only and you needed up to 3 people to receive your anterless only tag.
While it is true that you needed up to 3 people to get a DMP in some areas, it is NOT true that they were for antlerless deer only. One could shoot an antlered buck on a DMP for a good many years.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

One could shoot an antlered buck on a DMP for a good many years.
They did that for a couple years in the mid eighties didn't they?
Old 02-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

i have been hunting lower NY state since the late 60s and do remember the days when you had a chance at an 8 pt or bigger buck. i do miss those days and have been seeing nothing but spikes and 4s for the last 20 years or so.

ARhas been put into effect in my DMU 3j about 3 years ago and it is working, last season is the first season in decades that i have personally seen 7 and 8 piont bucks again and have heard similar reports from other local hunters.

i think AR is a good thing.if you are a meat hunterfor (which i am also) why not just blast a doe and let the 4pt walk? whats the big deal??
Old 02-26-2009, 05:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

. i do miss those days and have been seeing nothing but spikes and 4s for the last 20 years or so.
Your not sitting in the right trees then. Late 60's the season wasn't even state wide was it?
Old 02-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

One could shoot an antlered buck on a DMP for a good many years.
They did that for a couple years in the mid eighties didn't they?
thats correct DMP's were issued sometimes in the mid 80's and were good for antlered deer, anterless deer, or deer of either sex depending on the WMU. All during the 70's they were for anterless deer only!