HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Antler Restrictions (What they found in TX) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/285722-antler-restrictions-what-they-found-tx.html)

White-tail-deer 02-09-2009 03:07 AM

RE: Antler Restrictions (What they found in TX)

SS some of this would be true if the non-legal AR deer all had inferior genes. But it has been proven by scientific research that an "inferior" antlered deer at 1.5 usually have as good or better genes than the better antlered AR legal 1.5 year old deer.

bowtruck 02-09-2009 03:17 AM

very true white

bluebird2 02-09-2009 03:47 AM

ORIGINAL: White-tail-deer

SS some of this would be true if the non-legal AR deer all had inferior genes. But it has been proven by scientific research that an "inferior" antlered deer at 1.5 usually have as good or better genes than the better antlered AR legal 1.5 year old deer.
No that has not been proven to be true. There has been relatively little if any research where the DNA makeup of 1.5 spikes has been compared larger 1.5 buck. One thing that has been proven is that culling 1.5 spike buck does not improve the genetics of the herd. Another thing that has been proven is that harvesting the best buck in each age class leads to high grading and results in a decrease in rack sizes of 2.5+ buck. It has also been prove n that the average 1.5 spike has a slower rate for antler development than a 1.5 Y or 6 pt.

Screamin Steel 02-09-2009 04:09 AM

The only thing that has been proven is that yearlings sporting small unbranched antlers are inferior per rate of development. Some of the deer in the studies did eventually catch up to their peers, but not until ages 4.5 and older. So, how many deer have you killed in PA older than age 4.5? Our der harvest is so large that even with AR's a very small percentage of our bucks will ever see that age, and my guess is that you and I would be fortunate under these circumstances to ever harvest more than one or two 4.5 or older deer in PA in our lifetimes. The overwhelming majority of our buck harvest is composed of yearling and two and a half year bucks with a smaller percentage of bucks 3.5 and even tinier fraction of the harvest being composed of bucks older than age 4.5. Why would we want bucks possessing slow grow genes to be perpetuating within the herd? If you truly feel this way about deer mgt,I would challenge you that if you claim access to a manageable tract of private land to specifically remove your best yearling bucksevery year. You would have to be an idiot to want to do it, but that is exactly what we are doing. Texas has long been at the forefront of deer mgt, actually decades ahead of the curve, but when their biologists lend credibility to the existence of high grading under point based AR's you and other PGC supporters don't want to give then any due credit. Amazing.

blkpowder 02-09-2009 04:30 AM

I just love this. All these new wannabe biologist's and trophy hunters.That's good though, this should make these people more educated? But I will give you wannabe's one tip as for the trophy hunting. First: public hunting should never be managed as or for trophy hunting! But! If this is your wish? Then you think you would want to do it right? Then let's do it right. This means shooting even "MORE" female deer. Scraping the point system and learning how to correctly age a buck. Because to also make our "now"deer management program a trophy program,we want to make sure not to harvest bucks under 51/2 years of age. [/align]

explorer_Jack 02-09-2009 04:50 AM

ORIGINAL: blkpowder

I just love this. All these new wannabe biologist's and trophy hunters.That's good though, this should make these people more educated? But I will give you wannabe's one tip as for the trophy hunting. First: public hunting should never be managed as or for trophy hunting! But! If this is your wish? Then you think you would want to do it right? Then let's do it right. This means shooting even "MORE" female deer. Scraping the point system and learning how to correctly age a buck. Because to also make our "now"deer management program a trophy program,we want to make sure not to harvest bucks under 51/2 years of age.
[/align]
Isn't that what the AR program was about,Bigger bucks?If you are doing something that is going to reverse the affects of antler size wouldn't you want to know? To me it doesn't matter,I don't eat the antlers. But it does have thecause also of preventing a healthier deer. The weaker ones passing on their genes. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that out. It would be like a 2$ hooker mating with the milkman and producing blkpowder as an offspring. Not desirable.

blkpowder 02-09-2009 05:21 AM

[quote]Isn't that what the AR program was about,Bigger bucks?If you are doing something that is going to reverse the affects of antler size wouldn't you want to know? To me it doesn't matter,I don't eat the antlers. But it does have thecause also of preventing a healthier deer. The weaker ones passing on their genes. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that out. It would be like a 2$ hooker mating with the milkman and producing blkpowder as an offspring. Not desirable.

AR's number one purpose is to create a balance in the buck to doe ratio. Second: AR's are to establish a "older age structure" in the buck population. AR's soul purpose is not about growing larger racks. Also, keep the insults flying Jack, I can take them. [/align]

explorer_Jack 02-09-2009 05:27 AM

ORIGINAL: blkpowder

AR's number one purpose is to create a balance in the buck to doe ratio. Second: AR's are to establish a "older age structure" in the buck population. AR's soul purpose is not about growing larger racks. Also, keep the insults flying Jack, I can take them.
[/align]
If it isn't about growing racks,Why the AR program then? Your telling me they have to do the AR to keep the ratio close? How is that done? Doe the does say, Ok, I don't like that small spike and want to breed with an 8 or better? Seriously,How does that make it any better for ratio? Once a doe is pregnant by a buck, There is a good chance another buck won't get her pregnant while she is allready pregnant.
I could be wrong though?

blkpowder 02-09-2009 05:42 AM

No Jack, this is not what "I'M" telling you! This is what QDMA IS TELLING "us!"

bluebird2 02-09-2009 06:04 AM

AR's number one purpose is to create a balance in the buck to doe ratio. Second: AR's are to establish a "older age structure" in the buck population. AR's soul purpose is not about growing larger racks. Also, keep the insults flying Jack, I can take them.
Prior to ARs our B/D ratio met QDMA recommendations. ARs were supposed to increase breeding rates and productivity and shorten the breeding window and none of that happened. ARs were completely unnecessary.