Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 What to do with the crossbows. >

What to do with the crossbows.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

What to do with the crossbows.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:48 PM
Banned

Default RE: What to do with the crossbows.

They arent cutting doe tags to appropriate levelseven though it shouldhave already been done, before we even got xguns.

Also, added buck harvest couldnt be countered by cutting tags. Only by cutting season length.

Though I dont think they are gonna care about more buck killed. Especially if more doe are also being killed and more money is taken in with more tag sales.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cornelius is right. the PGC doesn't care who kills the deer or when they are killed as long as the harvest exceeds recruitment. The archery buck harvest in 2B and 5 C exceeded the the rifle buck harvest in 2007 and there was no comment by the PGC. So don't expect any changes if the archery buck harvest increases in other WMUs due to X-bows.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

if they cut doe tags it seems the buck pop would go up because of more doe having fawns some being born
as males right its seems like it could be simpl if need be
Old 02-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

But the PGC has shown they don't want more buck or doe,so it is more likely they will do nothing.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DougE

Easy.Toss them out if that happens.

No need to worry,there's no way they will go back after people invested the money in crossbows.If anything is adjusted it will be the season length or anterless allocations.I think that will happen in some WMU's.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Banned

Bowtruck, theyd have to cut allocations to a point, to allow for any added doe harvest. Then theyd have to reduce the allocation further if the intent was to replace the additional harvest of buck in recruitment.

I dont see EITHER as likely to occur.

Buck age structure is also effected. Its about to be lowered. Adding buck harvest = less 1.5+ bucks surviving another year and a higher percentage made up of yearlings.

The full maleffect wont even be evident till several years down the road as more and more buy xguns. Also, that rediculous "sunset" clause or whatever the idiots are calling it, will have some hesitant to leap even though there probably is no reason to be.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that the PGc won't take em away ever. It's a done deal. we're stuck with them. The sunset provision wasa mreaningless feel good bone thrown at us. Full inclusion be renewed with a rubber stamp at that time.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree 100% BT.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

I tend to agree also. Like em, Love em, or Hate em, crossbows are here to stay. I think I would fall over if the game commission was to come out and say that we are killing too many deer, so this all probally a mute point anyway.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is strictly my opinion based on what I've seen in my WMU (5-D), where CB's have been legal during regular archeryfor anyone since the beginning. I'll start by saying that I own one, have taken enough (13)deer with it that I RARELY (almost never)even take it into the woods anymore.I don't think it belongs out there with compound shooters during regular archery at all. It does have advantages, I don't care what anyone says, and I WILL NOTget into that!!
I have noticed no increase in hunter numbersin my area since they became legal, and no noticable decline in deer numbers either. I have to bevery honestwhen I say that the general manners of the CB users that I have seen is not up to par with "regular" archers. Generally speaking, they seem to display thegun hunter mentality. No offense guys!By saying this I mean they are not quiet aboutwalking through the woods, and they talk back and forth like the deer don't hear them. When they spot you up in a tree, instead of just going on their way, they'll stop and actually start talking to you! I'm not talking aboutwhispering either! God I hate that![:@][:@]I just don't think they pay attention to little details the way "regular" archers do. Anyway, there's my thoughts on what I've seen regarding CB's in MY area. Like it or not, I think they're here to stay.

Quick Reply: What to do with the crossbows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.