Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 crossbows approved >

crossbows approved

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

crossbows approved

Old 01-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: crossbows approved

This is the darkest day for PA archers. [:'(][:@]
Words cannot express my disgust.

We can quit debating it now I guess.
Stop the debating and start the complaining.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Banned

I never had any respect for that pigs arse Pallone and the couple of anti-deer cronies of hers, now they are the same arses that voted this b.s in. My lack of respect has turned to loathing them. If they read these boards, Id like to tell them right where to go.

Those against at the meeting outnumbered those for by a HUGE margin and pgc received emails, letters and calls AGAINST by a similar margin. But the idiots voted for giving lazy slugs a crutch. Not that they care, because they couldnt give a rats - about hunters of this state, lazy or otherwise.

All about money and killing deer. A few of the worst s.o.b's were thankfully at the end of their miserable terms. They just had to pause andkick[:'(] us in the nuts on their way out the door.

Pallone & crew, you are worthless pieces of.....
Old 01-27-2009, 12:04 PM

Can one now use a one of those figmajigs that hold the string back on compounds? I would be more worried about that than the crossbows when it comes to distance and accuracy. I would purchase one of those devices before I would buy a new Xbow if was legal. As with a gun being fired sideways, The bullet drops way faster than in normal shooting.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

The first year will be the indicator as to if the three day gun hunters all run out and buy one. I wonder, too....will we see these guys buying a crossbow the night before bowseason, like Walmart before gunseason, always some fruit buying a rifle and a scope, obviously going to mount it himself and not even fire the da#n thing until he sees a deer. I'll keep tabs with my buddy at his archery shop to see if the xbow sales increase noticeably. One thing in our favor.....a first time xbow hunter still needs to learn technique, understanding wind, scent control, stand placement...things that take years to master, that lead to success at close range. No doubt some will get lucky, but most will realize quickly that it ain't gun season for sure.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Screamin Steel

The first year will be the indicator as to if the three day gun hunters all run out and buy one. I wonder, too....will we see these guys buying a crossbow the night before bowseason, like Walmart before gunseason, always some fruit buying a rifle and a scope, obviously going to mount it himself and not even fire the da#n thing until he sees a deer. I'll keep tabs with my buddy at his archery shop to see if the xbow sales increase noticeably. One thing in our favor.....a first time xbow hunter still needs to learn technique, understanding wind, scent control, stand placement...things that take years to master, that lead to success at close range. No doubt some will get lucky, but most will realize quickly that it ain't gun season for sure.
Well if there is going to be as many hunters in the woods as many are crying about, All those factors above you mentioned probabally not going to matter and will be like gun season. Besides that,I think most the new hunters with Xbows will shoot what ever they see to try the new weapon out. I hunt for the meat,Not a racked up buck.

If your in a tree stand on a deer trail,Again I don't think wind or scent is going to play much of a role. It is like people who buy scentlock suits to only sit up camp down wind in a tree stand to shoot a deer up wind? Not to bright some are.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

Stop the debating and start the complaining.
whaa whaa whaaa. Just what is there to complain about.I really see it as narrow mindedjealous people who generally are against the cross bow.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jack,sitting in a treestand certainly doesn't guarantee that deer won't wind you.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

As with a gun being fired sideways, The bullet drops way faster than in normal shooting.
WHAT!? LOL

A gun fired sideways will have the bullet "drop faster" because the sights are sighted in with the gunvertical but on an angled upward plane. In other words if you fire it sideways the actual trajectory of the bullet is being compensated sideways in the direction of the cant and not upward. In reality the bullet isn't dropping faster it's just not sighted in on that plane. The ballistics are the same. A bullet doesn't suddenly take a nosedive and lose power ebcause you turned the gun over.

With a crossbow it's simply how the weapon is sighted in and shot. There is no additional drop because it's fired with the limbs in a horizontal position.
The weapon is sighted in with the bolt being cast on an upward plane relative to the sights exactly the same way a vertical bow is. Limb orientation has nothing to do with it.
If a vertical bow shoots the same length and weight arrow set up with the same fletching and shot at the same speed as a crossbow they will have identical downrange trajectories and ballistics.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

The affects on public land could be shocking, as far as private land goes most land owners have seen how the P.G.C. has let the deer kill get out of hand. I can see more posted land and or leasing becoming more common in PA. as deer numbers continue to fall. Is it time for some of you to attempt leasing the land you now hunt?
Many of us believe that we can make a difference and as more land owners feel the squeeze of the economy I see it as an opportunity for many of you to tie up some land that might become over hunted.
Its happened and once again the out come is not favorable the P.G.C. ignores their constituents and sides with the big money ,but for now we must tolerate it and make the best of it .
Old 01-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Banned

"The first year will be the indicator as to if the three day gun hunters all run out and buy one."

Actually the first year will be totally meaninglessscreaming steel. Many more will be used in the following several years as guys become accustomed to them via seeing friends with them, and asmore affordable used ones etc. become available. Id say the first year will be the lowest usage year. This also bears out in Ohio. There are 10X the crossbow users now than there were afew decades ago when they were legalized.

"I wonder, too....will we see these guys buying a crossbow the night before bowseason, like Walmart before gunseason, "

yes,I say you can bank on it..

Quick Reply: crossbows approved

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.