HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   how many will be putting out food for deer this winter (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/282299-how-many-will-putting-out-food-deer-winter.html)

bowtruck 01-11-2009 05:30 PM

how many will be putting out food for deer this winter

thinking about putting out deer feed this winter

bawanajim 01-11-2009 06:05 PM

RE: how many will be putting out food for deer this winter

I feed a gravity box of corn,between 2 and 3 tons starting after the close of rifle season. That is is also when I start cutting next years fire wood,I cut maple all winter so the deer have access to nice buds all winter long. Its a win - win for me and the deer.:)

bluebird2 01-11-2009 06:11 PM

There is no need to feed the deer in my area . they have more natural food available than the herd can consume.

ropaque 01-11-2009 06:15 PM

i started spreadin corn. i don't get as much down as i would like do to the fact i don't have a feeder.

cardeeer 01-12-2009 05:09 AM

I already have gone through 700 lbs this winter

bawanajim 01-12-2009 05:12 AM

I started pruning my apple trees a couple of weeks ago,and all the new growth I cut off from last year is about cleaned up,the deer love those tender shoots.:)

Buck Hunter 1 01-12-2009 07:15 AM

bwana Jim, I got a couple old apple trees on my mountain been there longer than me. I have driven feed spikes around it, you think I could trim those upand get some response form them?

BTBowhunter 01-12-2009 07:20 AM

BH1 the spikes are good but are a slow release. try taking a bag of 10-10-10 and a bag of lime and spread around the drip line along with your pruning. The results can be amazing:D

bawanajim 01-12-2009 07:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1

bwana Jim, I got a couple old apple trees on my mountain been there longer than me. I have driven feed spikes around it, you think I could trim those upand get some response form them?
You never know but it can't hurt. just don't get to carried away at first. Cut away any trees that are shading them,then get to the centers and cut out all of the dead stuff. Apples love the sun ,so every thing thats shaded is not going to produce. It will take time but you might just have a gold mine on your hands if you can get them to produce.

bowtruck 01-12-2009 05:08 PM

today i made a gravity feeder and spread some corn out for the deer hope it helps them
side note the fields and woods so icy 4wd 4wheeler wouldn't go good