Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Any SW PA Coyote Hunters? >

Any SW PA Coyote Hunters?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Any SW PA Coyote Hunters?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Spike

Default Any SW PA Coyote Hunters?

Anyone started coyote hunting as of yet. I know it is throughout the year, however I started last year after late season deer was over. Any PA yote pics would be great.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Any SW PA Coyote Hunters?

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/4evrhtn/ohio08.jpg
Not shot in Pa but I bagged this guy in SE Ohio during the late muzzleloader season.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 4evrhtn

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/4evrhtn/Destiny003.jpg
Not shot in Pa but I bagged this guy in SE Ohio during the late muzzleloader season.
boy, that one looks heavy.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try but never have called a coyote in, had a few mess with my traps but thats it. missed a nice blonde yote by murrysville w the Xbow the last day of gun season but thats it.

Do you SW PA guys have alot of luck calling dogs? i have been out several times and it is really tough and frustrating but i hear its like musky fishing, can get em unless you try.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The son of a friend of mine just killed a 44 lb. coyote in central Indiana Co. on thurs. of this week. His first time out, and with a cheap $40 caller. Big red one. He's getting it mounted. Go figure.........
Old 01-04-2009, 05:31 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

ORIGINAL: 4evrhtn

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/4evrhtn/Destiny003.jpg
boy, that one looks heavy.
Not sure how much he weighed but do know he was old. Didn't have any teeth in the front of his mouth(top or bottom) His lower canines were worn down to the nerve from front to back. Never saw anything like that on any dog, domestic or wild. I forgot the hide in the freezer with the skull but will be going back out at the end of the month, I am trying for a 4th time to get a mature buck out there. I hope they haven't all lost theirantlers by then.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DoubleLung55

I try but never have called a coyote in, had a few mess with my traps but thats it. missed a nice blonde yote by murrysville w the Xbow the last day of gun season but thats it.

Do you SW PA guys have alot of luck calling dogs? i have been out several times and it is really tough and frustrating but i hear its like musky fishing, can get em unless you try.

i hunt out of my ladderstand,without being up in air, i bet i would not get a coyote at nightonly about 12 ft up i go or 3 sections of my stand.

i put my stand up on highest ridge on pipelines, HUNT THE PIPELINES.

only hunt at night, right after dark, like 5 pm is great time to be out in winter.

thats usually my best time , 1/2 hr after dark.

i use 12 ga with full choke and no.4 shot.

i use turkey decoy with rabbit scent on it.did not want to buy a rabbit decoy

i use electronic caller,i like the screaming rabbit one or distressed rabbit.

i shot 2 in same spot in 15 minutes,shot 1, left it lay, shot next one 15 minutes later.

WITHOUT BEING IN MY STAND, I BET I WOULD NEVER GET ONE,THEY WILL CIRCLE AND GET DOWN WIND.

so, hunt at night,use decoy, caller,ALWAYS HUNT FROM YOUR TREESTAND AND USE 12 GA WITH NO.4 SHOT FULL CHOKE.. also, use the full moon nights to hunt, you will not need a light if you have snow on ground.

i only hunt full moon or half moon nights, if i can
Old 01-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sproul.....thanks for the tips, i never really considered using a stand but it sounds like a good idea especially with electronics that you can leave on the ground. I will also have to look into the rabbit scent to help the circling dogs. I was out the other evening and had a red fox atleast i think it was circle and never came in.

I am also still trying my hardest to get a toye in my trap but they are sooooooo smart. Either wont come in, flip the trap, or dig it up... now that its legal i have a trick for them tho, gonna hang some snares on known yote trails ( all dog tracks on the trail) and see what happens.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:47 PM

Got this guy on the first day of rifle season in Indiana County. I have no idea how much it weighed but it is at Zellmans Taxidermy getting done in a full body mount. I will be out within the next week trying to kill a few more off my property. The population is really growing around here and they have put a dent into the turkey population.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DoubleLung55

Sproul.....thanks for the tips, i never really considered using a stand but it sounds like a good idea especially with electronics that you can leave on the ground. I will also have to look into the rabbit scent to help the circling dogs. I was out the other evening and had a red fox atleast i think it was circle and never came in.

I am also still trying my hardest to get a toye in my trap but they are sooooooo smart. Either wont come in, flip the trap, or dig it up... now that its legal i have a trick for them tho, gonna hang some snares on known yote trails ( all dog tracks on the trail) and see what happens.

listen to sprouls bedtime storys and you will get a coyote

pick highest point in area,dont put your stand in a dip and put your stand up,i like right along edge of pipeline.

climbing stands are best because you can move after you deck all ones in your area.

i use ladder stand because i only hunt to kill coyotes IN MY AREA,if i was moving around, a climbing stand is ticket.

if you shoot one, let it lay, then after awhile, try calling again.

usually most fox/coyotes will be there within 30 minutes.

i like 30 minutes after dark as BEST TIME in winter and they will be hungry .

Quick Reply: Any SW PA Coyote Hunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.