Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Any SW PA Coyote Hunters? >

Any SW PA Coyote Hunters?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Any SW PA Coyote Hunters?

Old 01-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Any SW PA Coyote Hunters?

ORIGINAL: DoubleLung55

Well the weather is pretty terrible lately for both trapping and tryin to call in the brush wolves. Checked the traps this morning to find nice mud puddles where my sets are, for being my first yr trapping it is just so frustrating having my sets washed out, frozen, and little success. But from what ive heard noone is really having an all star year, other then the obvious people like Phil Brown who at my last inquiry was at around 680 reds so far. I just wish he would come out with me for a day and show me how its done lol.
yes, it helps to go with someone that does it.

most of trappers here in my area put the traps in culverts along the state roads,then they drive daily and check them without getting out of car.

they may have 100 traps out so odds go up.

my dog was in 4 of them this year.last year I WAS in one myself,those near cable restraint ones.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice dogs. I got one on my wall from 5 years ago went 54 pounds. Kept the skull had a wall rug made. I like ot call them in. But if snow is down will iuse the Sproulman method. I will be hunting w/ a Inline this t=year during Mosquito Creek Coyote hunt. I saw a rabbit decoy battery operated at Gander for 20 bucks, those bring em' like magnets when you hit that rabbit distress squeal. If they hang up out of my shotgun range I will use the mouse squeaker to bring em' in closer. The most wily animal in the woods to day in PA/OH
Old 01-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1

Nice dogs. I got one on my wall from 5 years ago went 54 pounds. Kept the skull had a wall rug made. I like ot call them in. But if snow is down will iuse the Sproulman method. I will be hunting w/ a Inline this t=year during Mosquito Creek Coyote hunt. I saw a rabbit decoy battery operated at Gander for 20 bucks, those bring em' like magnets when you hit that rabbit distress squeal. If they hang up out of my shotgun range I will use the mouse squeaker to bring em' in closer. The most wily animal in the woods to day in PA/OH

treestand is secret to hunting coyote at night,put it on highest point of a pipeline.
full moon is another one.
hunting around 1/2 hr after dark has been good to me.
12 ga with no.4 shot full choke.

yes, rabbit call but if you miss, that coyote will not come into that call again.

have fun.

oh, also, pass on fox if you want coyote,that coyote could be close.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sproulman, is it true that if you have coyote you will not have fox? Is that an old wives tale or what? I guess the fox and coyote compete and the coyote will kill the fox(s)? I've shot both, I won't pass on either as they have decimated my rabbit and grouse population. I want o mention avian predators but thatis illegal to pop them out of the trees isn't it?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1

Sproulman, is it true that if you have coyote you will not have fox? Is that an old wives tale or what? I guess the fox and coyote compete and the coyote will kill the fox(s)? I've shot both, I won't pass on either as they have decimated my rabbit and grouse population. I want o mention avian predators but thatis illegal to pop them out of the trees isn't it?
NO,my friend killed 8 fox in 1 area in 1 night and knows there are 2 coyotes left in that area.

you will see coyotes covering more ground than a fox,coyotes really make a loop in winter,i mean like a 5 mile sq hunt or more.

i think a fox avoids a coyote but i never saw 2 together.

i do see fox right under feet of deer, i have pictures of that on my trailcams BUT i never see coyote under a deer legs.

i have a picture of 2 coyoteson my camera that i feel attacked mothers fawn on my privateland.

last night on my camera, something ate , i think 1 of my rabbits, its just blurr on camera,i cant figure what it was,rabbit put its ears up and this blur happened coming at it and then,NO RABBIT.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel that its a myth that if there are coyote on your land all the fox will be killed, i think its only in a situation like a fox is feeding on a carcass or something and the yotes come in, then i think the yote will kill the fox over competition for food, but i dont think yotes look for foxes to purposely kill them.

Made a few sits tonight in the full moon and snow storm, it felt like the perfect night to get a coyote to come in due to a growling stomach. I did manage to have some deer come check out the rabbit distress but no yotes. My buddy and i setup just out of view from where a grey fox had come across the field and driveway back toan oldfarmers house tho, so we had a response. Just so happened we setup on the wrong side of a bend in the driveway where the treeline came to a point, woulda had him no questions about it if i had just posted up 20 yards shorter. My heart dropped to my feet when on the walk out we saw a brand new set of track INSIDE our tracks on the driveway but i guess tahts why they call it hunting and not killing.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Weathers gonna get even colder, they should be moving, got some traps out now. I found some old food cache in the woods yesterday that i set on, where the coyotes actually dug up either food they had hidden or a fox had, so times are getting tough for the dogs, maybe they will let their gaurd down some this weekend!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAoszVLRP6U
When it comes to competition for food wolves will kill coyotes and coyotes will kill foxes. Here is a clip Warning it is graphic but it shows how serious competition for food among canine species is. I have seen fox tracks in areas where there are many coyotes but very few compared to areas where there are very few coyotes. The majority of foxes usually move on to other feeding grounds when the coyotes move into their area.