Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 UPDATED, GOOD NEWS, For all New York Pheasant Hunters >

UPDATED, GOOD NEWS, For all New York Pheasant Hunters

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

UPDATED, GOOD NEWS, For all New York Pheasant Hunters

Old 12-28-2008, 07:32 AM

Default UPDATED, GOOD NEWS, For all New York Pheasant Hunters

Hello, first post but not new to the forum.

Looks like pheasants are going to be a thing of the past here in New York so I have a couple of questions for NY pheasant hunters.

How much time have you spent pheasant hunting in NY in the past three years?

Besides your license how much money do you spend every year specifically on pheasant hunting?

Would you be willing to pay an additional fee to fund the Reynolds Game Farm to continue stocking pheasants?

I plan on doing some research into the options over the next few months and would appreciate any input. Ultimately there may not be anything that can be done but with enough interest I think the program could be continued.

And pleases refrain from any strong worded opinions or politics on the subject.

Thanks in advance

Bob

Old 12-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Spike

Default RE: For all New York Pheasant Hunters

Bob,
[ul][*]I'm usually out there about 15 days a year.[*]Each season I usually buy a couple of boxes of shells ($15.00), but if you include the care for my German Shorthaired Pointer, then that figure would go up by a few hundred for food and vet. care.[*]I pay for a turkey stamp, and they are not stocked by the state anymore (I think) so I would be all in favor of paying for a pheasant stamp in addition to my license.[/ul]Thanks for the post, I hope that we can do something to change the decision.
Birdhunter
Old 12-29-2008, 07:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

He's also trying to add $10 on to our fishing license for Salmon and trout.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:05 PM

I also hope that sportsman will be able to influence both funding and the DEC decision to continue the program.

Like most hunters I have always taken the stocking program for granted. The old adage of hindsight etc... It is like many things that often get less attention then they should until it is to late and programs are ended or rights are lost. Someone else with no real interest is making decisions, often arbitrary or even worse – agenda driven.

I for one feel that it is worth great effort to work toward and affect a solution to funding and continuance of the program. The way I see it is that to allow this to go by the wayside without a conscious and pointed effort would be foolish. I feel that there is more at stake then just pheasant hunting. Without an outspoken and firm stand it could easily be assumed that the politicians or DEC can do as they wish with both our money and hunting opportunities in New York. I have been fortunate to live in several states and will say with the exception of Alaska non compare to New York in terms of various outdoors opportunities, to include hunting.

We must remember that most of our politicians are not hunters and this includes some of our DEC officials... Politicians are driven by voters and the squeaky wheel adage applies. All too often the average hunter, myself included, go about our lives without the conscious effort to support or speak out on what we believe in or hold in value.

Right now the future of pheasant hunting in New York is uncertain. Ultimately the solution may be a joint effort between private organizations and the DEC. Maybe it will be in organized pressure from hunters to encourage the DEC to restore the Reynolds Game Farm and stocking program.

One thing is for certain though, without a well thought out and pointed effort from New York hunters nothing will change. So I encourage everyone that enjoys hunting in New York to speak up in defense of this decision of other opportunities we all take for granted before they are also taken from us.

I for one would not be opposed to having a pheasant stamp but would first want to see a public and detailed full disclosure of where all moneys (from hunting licenses, gun and ammo taxes, and earmarked state and federal funds, etc) have gone for the past five years and where future funds were to be committed.

In terms of economics it has been proven in study after study that outdoor recreation, including hunting, has a very high dollar to dollar return ratio. Yet these are often the first programs to be cut.

You do the math…

Below are three l inks. The first link is to Pheasant Forever, eight chapters operating in New York. The next is to an article posted on Syracuse .com. The third is to a short write up by the NRA.

There are contact names and numbers as well as other thoughts on the program.

http://www.pheasantsforever.org/page/1/FindaChapter.jsp?state=NY

http://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1229680598256990.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/read.aspx?id=4274

ok so now for the real reason I wrote this - my dog made me do it, he got tired of being wet all the time and took a liking to pheasants. Not really, a Chessie never gets tired of the water or the camera.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/rlelvis/hunting/100_1469_50.jpg
Old 12-31-2008, 05:10 PM

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:03 PM

I am sure ther are more out there with thoughts on this recent decision. Please share.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:12 PM

It's a done deal. You lost. Accept it, learn from it and prepare for the next battle.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:15 PM

I do not agree. In my opinion a defeatist attitude will be what results on continued loose of rights and unregulated use of Conservation and Pitman Robinson Funds. The money supposedly saved is misleading, all employees were reassigned, the reported cost of slaughter is staggering, and BY LAW these money are to remain in the Conservation fund. So how could budget motivation have been the sole reason for closing the program?

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi?COMMONQUERY=LAWS STF State Finance- Article 6 Funds of the State- 83 Conservation Fund

A done deal, no? I think there is room for it to be undone with a consolidated, well thought out and pointed effort.

I have not lost as I will continue to do what I can to restore the program and what I can to ensure more do not end in this way.

Accept it? Not on your life, acceptance, complacency and ‘sheepeople syndrome’ run close together; any will result in politicians, anti hunters and people not fit for positions they hold to do as they wish with our resources, money and ultimately freedoms.

I do agree we can all learn from it and hope that more hunters will take a proactive stand in defending what they believe in. Not just jump up and down crying foul while really doing nothing more then fuel the anti’s.

Do I sound passionate about this, yes. Is it strictly about pheasants no its not. If you do a little research, see how easy it was, how quickly it happened, what little the DEC did toreview options, and consider the next possible cut or regulatory change you might be surprised.

Everyone needs to take a proactive stand and when not happy with proposal or changes they need to contact those that have been elected to serve. It will make a difference if enough people speak up, the anti’s have proven it time and time again.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:44 PM

I didn't say the budget had anything to do with the closing.

The Governor/Grannis have concluded that the so-called sportsmens/hunting/conservation groups in this state have no political clout and therefore they are free to do whatever they please with no fear of retribution. They are absolutely correct. Hence, you can kiss the pheasant program goodbye.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

I posted this in the upland bird forum a month or so ago when I heard about this.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3231194

I do not hunt a lot of pheasants however if they close this, then whats next the fish hatcheries?

Quick Reply: UPDATED, GOOD NEWS, For all New York Pheasant Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.