Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Dropping horns

Old 12-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dropping horns

Sounds plausible Bob.
BB2...my belief was that it was a day hither or nither of April fools day. It was 24 years ago now.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Never seen any studies on this but I've heard and read that It's all about the bucks testosterone levels. Cold weather supposedly has nothing to do with it. Typically if there are does still coming into estrous in the area, teatosterone levels will tend to stay higher and most of the bucks will keep their horns. I know that in areas where the doe fawns are healthy and have enough body weight, they van extend the secondary rut a bit and therefore the bucks keep their antlers a bit longer.
Some experts claim the exact opposite. They say that after the peak of the rut testosterone levels in dominant buck drop rapidly leading to early shedding. They also claim that the stress of rutting by dominant buck also contributes to early shedding.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: livbucks

Sounds plausible Bob.
BB2...my belief was that it was a day hither or nither of April fools day. It was 24 years ago now.
Most of the "experts" on this one are basically advancing theories. The ones that are truthful will admit that we really don't know for sure. I tend to beleive that testosterone levels are the key but just look at the differences we see in humans in that regard and it begins to look like the genes or characteristics of individual deer may come into play here. Studies have shown that breeding is doen across all age classes and that some mature bucks don't breed at all. I wonder if those bucks that don't breed at all are the early droppers?
Old 12-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know a guy in NYS that owns captive deer and he says his individual bucks drop within a day or two on the calendar every year. If a buck is early, he is early every year. Granted, he confines them in separate pens during the rut, so they are not subjected to stresses like wild deer. His breeding is done by A.I.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Sounds plausible Bob.
Most of the "experts" on this one are basically advancing theories. The ones that are truthful will admit that we really don't know for sure. I tend to beleive that testosterone levels are the key but just look at the differences we see in humans in that regard and it begins to look like the genes or characteristics of individual deer may come into play here. Studies have shown that breeding is doen across all age classes and that some mature bucks don't breed at all. I wonder if those bucks that don't breed at all are the early droppers?
You make a lot of claims in that post, now let's see you provide the links to support your opinions. You constantly jump on others for doing what you just did. So let's see if you can back up your claims.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Spike

I've found 6 antlers so far here in NY,3 old ones and 3 fresh drops.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

I know a guy in NYS that owns captive deer and he says his individual bucks drop within a day or two on the calendar every year. If a buck is early, he is early every year. Granted, he confines them in separate pens during the rut, so they are not subjected to stresses like wild deer. His breeding is done by A.I.
Im not a biologist but I dont agree with this. Those deer are in a controlled environment with proper nutrition. In the wild woods, nutrition varies fron yr to yr. Here we had no acorns this yrs. I feel that was a huge detriment to nutrition causing an early drop.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: WestVirginiaBrent

They're dropping them in central WV as well and already back to bachelor groups.

I found a set of fresh sheds during Muzzleloader, the rodents had already ate them pretty damned bad too, would have been big ones. The pictures don't do them justice, I plan on rebuilding them and putting them on the cabin wall, I ordered the tine repair stuff from Van Dyke's Taxidermy last week. It will be some work but they're fixable.

I hate to bust your bubble but I dont believe those are fresh. they look to be at least a season old.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree.