Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA Flintlock / Late archery >

PA Flintlock / Late archery

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Flintlock / Late archery

Old 01-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA Flintlock / Late archery

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Oh and he doesn't want to do anything to manage these deer, provide forage, cover or aqll that stuff. he just wants to show up at his favorite stump on that big deer farm and shoot the first little buck or button buck that comes by.
Because BTB has his earplugs in and his blinders fastened securely he doesn't realize that I cut browse for the deer, planted pines, chestnuts and apple trees along with strawberries, winter Furthermore , the poor follow doesn't realize none of our hunters have harvested a BB since 2001.wheat and clover for the deer.
All that habitat work shot in the azz by Alts "buck busters" and followed by his teams of "doe destroyers" and then a couple of well placed mountian lions and well you get the picture.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Oh and he doesn't want to do anything to manage these deer, provide forage, cover or aqll that stuff. he just wants to show up at his favorite stump on that big deer farm and shoot the first little buck or button buck that comes by.
Because BTB has his earplugs in and his blinders fastened securely he doesn't realize that I cut browse for the deer, planted pines, chestnuts and apple trees along with strawberries, winter Furthermore , the poor follow doesn't realize none of our hunters have harvested a BB since 2001.wheat and clover for the deer.
All that habitat work shot in the azz by Alts "buck busters" and followed by his teams of "doe destroyers" and then a couple of well placed mountian lions and well you get the picture.
I don't wanna steal a line but,
THAT'S FUNNY, I DON'T CARE WHO YA ARE
Old 01-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: livbucks

I went out around Noon by myself and crept around. All the does and fawns have moved over to the South facing hill behind the housing development where I can't fire my flintlock. I jumped a lone deer from the top of the hill I was hunting and I believe it was a 3.5 YO 8 point that a member of our group missed in archery. I just caught a glimpse of him as he jumped some blowdowns and he was gone. He ran down to the valley and headed for the houses of course. I heard the dogs let loose so he must of ran right up to the back yards. Tell me a buck doesn't get smarter the longer he lives! Somehow he knows I can't shoot him there. The deer seem to be grouped now so when you see them, you'd think we had 60 dpsm or something, yet another 2 hills can be devoid of deer. I suppose that's why the 150 acres I was on had only a single deer yet the next hill had what appeared to be a herd of cattle milling about.
Look on the bright side Greg! He's still there and you got close!
Next time he might not be so lucky! Can you get in there undetected and set up with your bow safely?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

We don't have cougars, bears or yotes .but we do have the highest antlerless alocation PSM of any WMU, so stuff it!!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like "corporate" you have a boo boo in "allocation" I didn't quote you this time so you can go back and fix your post and no one will ever know ,cept you and me.

yeaI left the "ex" out just for you.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Next time he might not be so lucky! Can you get in there undetected and set up with your bow safely?
I've tried that and they always seem to get tipped off to me becauseI end up not seeing anything. I think they feel squeezed when I enter from the woods and they move out on me. The only way would be to walk up through the plan before light and duck through someone's backyard to get there. I'm always leery of the dogs going crazy if I get to close to the houses though. I can just see some guy in his slippers asking me what the hell I'm doing walking through his yard before sunup. The deer don't seem to care about the dogs because they are fenced in and know they can't bother them. To be where I'd need to be also means that once I'm up in the tree, I end up looking right into the back windows of the houses, being that the vegetation is now gone. There is one place that might work but it is a hell of a hike with a treeestand on my back. I have often thought about parking on the top road and coming in from the back. The terrain in that spot is such that I could even use my flintlock but I would have to be in a tree to have any visibility. It is pretty thick at that particular place. It is more toward the northeast side of the hill and if I hunted in the morning there could be some deer in there catching some morning sun at this time of year. If you are in a tree in that place you can see a hundred yards but on the ground you can't see 20 yards.
I also get agitated by the kids screaming all day over there and the dogs barking non-stop. I may end up parking on the top road likeI said and seeing what happens. Pretty tough to sit in a tree in the cold we have at this time of year but I have done it before. I like my hill because it is large unbroken woods, but the deer just are not there now. I guess I gotta adapt ifI want to score.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Dad actually saw a whopper of a 10 point in archery in that same spot, but he must have been hit by a car because he had a club front leg and one side of his rack was busted off. He came past my Dad at about 15 yards the first week of November and except for the limp, he seemed to be doing OK. Dad said he seemed to be looking for does so he must not have been too badly banged up. He could have been in a hell of a battle with another buck as well. We hope he recovers and with the injury he may end up with some kind of non-typical rack next season. A gun hunter could have taken him though.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I finally made it out this late season with the bow New Years day for the evening sit. I saw a buck and a doe. The buck is one I’ve seen all season. Has one of the weirdest racks ever. He’s all main beams with brow tines, and the tips of his beams curl upwards. No other points. I’m hoping he’s a big weird 1.5 old buck and not a messed up old buck. Being that I’ve seen him several times this year, my guess is the former.
Weather looks decent for Saturday so I hope to be out then as well.

Good luck to those still hitting the woods.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen a few young bucks like that in my day. A nice beam with no points.
Today the snow looks nice but too wet for the flinter.
I went to work today and will hunt Saturday. Looks like mid 30's for then.
I might use a bow tomorrow depending on where I set up.
Good luck and most of all, have a good time regardless ofa kill.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

We went out again today. This time my buddy's fiance came along and helped drive for us. The first drive produced 2 does but noshot opportunities. On the second drive we hit the jackpot. 14 does and two young bucks camepastmy huntingpartner. He took a huge doeout of the bunch.

Once we got her taken care of, it was my turn. My buddy and his girl did the drive that he did alone yesterday. They sent a7 point right under my tree. He managed to go 30 yards with a muzzy hole in his heart.

Not a bad second day for 09.

Greg, is there an escape route you could cover and have a buddy take a walk, unarmed, behind this housing project? That strategy has worked well in those type of situations for us in the past.

Quick Reply: PA Flintlock / Late archery

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.