HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   what do you think NY antler restrictions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/279059-what-do-you-think-ny-antler-restrictions.html)

bowanna03 12-18-2008 08:25 AM

what do you think NY antler restrictions

what is your guys opinion on antler restriction in ny do you want it or no my opinion I would like to see it.

SteveBNy 12-18-2008 09:00 AM

RE: what do you think NY antler restrictions

No to mandatory as a statewide restriction.
NYS is too diverse to be managed as one unit.

Steve

Charlie P 12-18-2008 10:44 AM

You want antler restrictions apply them to yourself.

Mandatory restrictions is something I could never support.

bowtech 300 12-18-2008 04:26 PM

Don't like the idea of antler restrictions. I have watched both of my sons,now15 and 17 take thier first Bucks with bows. One was a 6 pt and the other was a 4pt. They were both hooked on hunting and never looked back. Antler restrictions would make it much harder for young hunters to take that first Buck. We have to get more youngsters into this.

Sylvan 12-18-2008 04:52 PM

NO to antler restrictions!

lost horn 12-18-2008 05:13 PM

Oh try them you may like them, like some do here in Pa.;):D

Sylvan 12-18-2008 06:16 PM

Anyone here who wants to try, can. No need for ar's to be mandatory. :D

Remnard 12-18-2008 06:38 PM

A self imposed restriction is a very good thing.

I also don't think a youngsters first deer should be counted in antler restrictions either for reasons already noted. As stewards of the land and its inhabitants, we should strive for a balanced herd.

Is it so terrible for a youngsters first deer to be a doe? I think teaching the next generation of hunters the importance of herd management as far as buck doe ratios and carrying capacity go,should bepart of the whole experience.

BuckAlley 12-18-2008 07:49 PM

Personallyit'd be nice to see a management system in NY that allows bucks to get bigger. What that system is I don't know. A.R.'s is not the complete answer. 3 pts to a side doesn't restrict all yearling bucks. I've also enjoyed many yrs of hunting with the opportunity to harvest any deer I chose. I've harvested many yearling bucks over the yrs. Nowadays I'm alot more selective. So to me it'd be unfair if others weren't allowed the same opportunities I've enjoyed.

TRACKER 12-18-2008 11:09 PM

I only harvest a decent buck that is 8 point or bigger .
I have harvested many bucks and I admit also I to use to shoot the first legal buck i seen .
Though as mentioned there are many different areas over and under populated in NY ,
I would say yes to antler restrictions , Only harvesting bucks that have at least 3 points on one side .
I also agree on letting youth hunters to be able to harvest a doe up to the age of 17 .
Then they would have tofallow all adult rules .
I,m sure everone will say nooo .
But after a 3 year period you will see a big change in quality .
If your looking for venesin harvest a legal doe .
If your looking for a wall hanger why harvest a spike horn ???