Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Rifle season 2008 is history >

Rifle season 2008 is history

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Rifle season 2008 is history

Old 12-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rifle season 2008 is history

original Bluebird2:
As I recall you haven't filled your buck tag just like the six members in our group.So are you an omega hunter or an alpha hunter or just a pain in the butt?
You are either joking...........................

or really pathetic.............

I don't see you joke much on here........

Old 12-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Congrats on the buck Jim! Where'd you get him? Got any pics?
Thanks, I try and keep my hunting to myself. I have some pictures if you'd like to seesend me an email address and I'll send them to you.
I shot him north of here I won't give many details because I don't need the company.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hang in there Ryan. You could just sit home and admire what you already have achieved. It can be tough trying to live up to those bucks hanging on your wall. I'm betting you can still top them.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:56 AM
Typical Buck

After all, that's what it's all about. Keeping score, trying to outdo each other all the time, etc. Maybe next season you can bring your "A" game and score a booner! I know that this is what hunting is all about....because Bill Jordan told me so!

PS I just saw a fresh roadkill. You should go pick it up....You know, wouldn't want it to go to waste....(Anywhere other than your freezer or your wall.)
Old 12-15-2008, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

I had a good year in 3C this year.I saw lots of smaller bucks in archery season and plenty of does.I took a nice 8 point the second day of rifle season.Lots of shooting the first 2 days which surprised me since it was bucks only.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

It seems that the word from the majority of hunters in the WMU's that had the first 5 days as buck only has been positive. Obviously it's too soon to tell how it affected the harvest but the hunters I've heard from seem to be happy with the change.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

There was more shooting on the second Saturday around here than there was on the first one,we had snow both days.The weather this year was some of the best we've had in years.
The hunting pressure seemed down from last year,but there seemed to be a lot less posted signs. I'm not looking for any increase in harvest numbers from last year.
I'm thinking herd reduction has reached a point where its going to be hard to kill enough doe to continue reducing numbers, most local areas just don't have the populations to attract hunters.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a great year in 2G.I killed a 7 point and three dmap doe in archery season.Two days after I killed a 7 point,I had a slammer of an 8 point at 24 yards.I set a buddy up in that area and he ended up killing a different 20 inch 8 point on the last friday of archery season.I hunted all public dmap'd state forest during rifle season.I could have killed a buck each day and ended up shooting a doe on the first saturday.On the last dayI saw eleven different deer on public land in Sinnemahoning and ended uptaking a doe in her bed after still hunting all morning.The opportunities were excellent this year and the competion was zero.I went from seeing a grand total of 3 hunters in the woods to none on the last day.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great year in 5B. Tons of shooting the first two days but really slowed down after that. Even the two Saturdays had little shooting. All the neighbrs took nice buck and my father, brother and I took three nice buck too. Plenty of doe to go round as well.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never give up Rybo!! It's never over till the last miniute of the last day! My two best bucks in PA have been taken in late season. Last year I finally took the buck I hunted for three years on the next to last afternoon.
I saw that particular buck only in the late season each of three years. Once I had him at 15 yards on the LAST day but my buck tag was already gone.

Yes, the odds are long, but I happened to be in his "inner core area" when pressure from the late season 2B gun hunters put him there.

Ya just never know......
Yea I know I shouldn’t give up, but sometimes you just have to know when to say when. I’ve put a lot of hours in this season and couldn’t get it done during the regular season when I at least had reasonable odds. To luck out in the late season here would be nothing short of a miracle. Plus I will likely just get frustrated when the “locusts” come thru and drive out every inch of woods, posted or not.[:@] I could try and use that to my advantage, but that’s not how I want to do it. At this point in time I’m just going to keep it low key & fun. I’ll take the slug gun out here & there to try and pop a 2B doe. Then I think I may head down to 2A for a trip or 2 during the late season with my longbow. I know that’s a quite a long shot for taking a deer too, but I’ll take a few “squirrel” arrowsto keep myself busy.

Hang in there Ryan. You could just sit home and admire what you already have achieved. It can be tough trying to live up to those bucks hanging on your wall. I'm betting you can still top them.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but it's tough for me to be optimistic at this point in the season and after a long fall, I just don't know how much gas is left in the tank to hunt the way that would be required to make a serious effort at a big one yet.

It seems that the word from the majority of hunters in the WMU's that had the first 5 days as buck only has been positive. Obviously it's too soon to tell how it affected the harvest but the hunters I've heard from seem to be happy with the change.
I figured I'd be in the minority here, but I hate the "no doe" first week. I'd rather see tag allocations cut. Judging by the #'s of shots, they HAMMERED the bucks opening day. The next 2 saturdays hardly had any shooting at all where I was. And there are more than enough does that need to be shot.

Quick Reply: Rifle season 2008 is history

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.