Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 ROAD HUNTING vrs HUNTING >

ROAD HUNTING vrs HUNTING

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

ROAD HUNTING vrs HUNTING

Old 12-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default ROAD HUNTING vrs HUNTING

i had chance to get around this week a little and listen and hear who got deer etc. here in pa.

weather was a little nasty for me to get in woods all day this week., so, i took rides and talked to a lot of hunters etc.

here is what i feel happened this year.so far.

i have a rough idea that about 25% of doe were shot in woods by hunters.even tho i saw lots of doe hunters in woods.

75% were shot while road hunting.

remember when i said 2 years ago that way most were getting a doe was BY COVERING TERRITORY ROAD HUNTING.

now, on bucks shot, almost 90% were shot by hunters in woods and 10% by road hunters.

now, this was only in gun season, not in archery.

i have no info then because most never tell you they got a deer in archery until after gun season.

so, ROAD HUNTING in my opinion is way MOST are getting a doe now.

WOODS hunting is way that MOST buck are shot.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ROAD HUNTING vrs HUNTING

Good for me. I hunt a ways back in and will be out for flinchlock!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1

Good for me. I hunt a ways back in and will be out for flinchlock!
very true.

here is my advice on that.

deer will come back to their regular spots after saturday closing.

so, deer that may be back in a little ,will now be back close to fields/roads that they have left.

the deer we did see really did not leave area only did not move very much unless chased out by hunters.

so, i would not hunt wayback, i will be hunting close to food not cover then .
Old 12-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with you Sproul to a certain extent.Road hunting is becomeingmore prevelant.Due to a viral infection that caused substantial heart dalmage a couple of years ago, I usually hunt a lot closer to the roads than I once did. When I hunt the 2Fbig woods these days it's usually within sight of the road and I see WAY too many trucks cruising very slowly down the back roads.

We even had a bad experience with some roadies this year. A friend with a leg that is essentially dead from mid thigh down struggled through 6 inches of snow 150 yards into the woods this season to his stand and shot at a buck around 11AM. he struggled over to the what he though were the bucks tracks and found no blood. When I came over to see himabout 1/2 hour later I went over and had another look for him.I picked up a heavy blood trail just 10 yards further than he had gone. We took the trail up as quickly as two gimps can and it took us right across the road. At the road we found two sets of human tracks coming our way on the blood trail and then turning right around to follow the deer up when they apparently determined that the deer was headed the opposite way. The road was covered with a dusting from a fresh snow squall and it was obvious they had been dropped off by a vehicle right there. The blood trail led to a gutpile and dragmarks right back to the road. The place in the road where the drag trail ended was 200 yards plus from any placewhere a vehicle couldpark. I seriously doubt that they even shot the thing again. The sign indicated that they likely found it dead and took it.[:'(]
Old 12-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

I agree with you Sproul to a certain extent.Road hunting is becomeingmore prevelant.Due to a viral infection that caused substantial heart dalmage a couple of years ago, I usually hunt a lot closer to the roads than I once did. When I hunt the 2Fbig woods these days it's usually within sight of the road and I see WAY too many trucks cruising very slowly down the back roads.

We even had a bad experience with some roadies this year. A friend with a leg that is essentially dead from mid thigh down struggled through 6 inches of snow 150 yards into the woods this season to his stand and shot at a buck around 11AM. he struggled over to the what he though were the bucks tracks and found no blood. When I came over to see himabout 1/2 hour later I went over and had another look for him.I picked up a heavy blood trail just 10 yards further than he had gone. We took the trail up as quickly as two gimps can and it took us right across the road. At the road we found two sets of human tracks coming our way on the blood trail and then turning right around to follow the deer up when they apparently determined that the deer was headed the opposite way. The road was covered with a dusting from a fresh snow squall and it was obvious they had been dropped off by a vehicle right there. The blood trail led to a gutpile and dragmarks right back to the road. The place in the road where the drag trail ended was 200 yards plus from any placewhere a vehicle couldpark. I seriously doubt that they even shot the thing again. The sign indicated that they likely found it dead and took it.[:'(]
good story.

also i feel there was LESS road hunters this year do to bad roads and price of gas and unable to get off work and second week of doe.

just opposite with hunters in woods, i saw MORE hunters in woods second week than i have in years.

sadly for me, i like to buck hunt and this caused a few buck to get shot the second week that would have made it thru the season until next year.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

I agree alot of guys are out there using those mobile treestands to much you know the ones with heat a radio and remote starters........
Old 12-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ROAD HUNTERS SUCK[:@]
Old 12-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bowtruck

ROAD HUNTERS SUCK[:@]
REAL SHORT ANSWER

road hunters are ones that got the BEEF but they did work hard at it this year.

what is something i find hard is road hunters that use bow to kill a deer in archery.

for deer to stop and let them fly arrow is something tough to do.

a few big bucks were shot road hunting in archery and hit in front with arrow.

i would never take shot at a buck in the front, some dont care and they just shoot.[:@]
Old 12-19-2008, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

well, the ROBO deer took its toll on ROAD HUNTERS IN CLINTON COUNTY.

those big horns were just to much for some of the SEASONED road hunters.

they shot at ole ROBO deer.

i give the PGC credit, they set it up where i heard a lot of shooting after dark on thursday night at 6 pm.

i hope our FAMOUS poacher with his tompson contender hid under seat was one that got caught.

only way this is going to stop is if guns are taken away at time of arrest.

latest is they are using the PERMIT TO CARRY PISTOL thing to get around law.[:@]

no doubt the THOMPSON CONTENDER is weapon of choice for MOST outlaws.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Some individualsare working to help the Green Meanies get somenew robo deer and repair the ones they have. Donations are being collected at the PFSC office for any checks marked "robo deer fund". Some orgs have already chipped-in for the project.

If they only zapped one per year for shooting from the road, even one less dedicatedroad hunter is a good thing.

Quick Reply: ROAD HUNTING vrs HUNTING

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.