Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 pa antler restrictions  yes or no? >

pa antler restrictions yes or no?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

pa antler restrictions yes or no?

Old 11-27-2008, 08:47 PM
RSB
Fork Horn

Default RE: pa antler restrictions yes or no?

ORIGINAL: bowhunter2117

I vote no on antler restrictions. I would like to ask RSB a question I notice you love to debate HR and AR on several message boards all day and night do you ever go into the field and patrol or perform any habitat work on state game lands or is your job description to patrol message boards to promote and defend the present HR/AR plan

You don’t see any posts made by me during any of my work hours, which means my posts are on my own time.

I also work about 50 - 70 hours per week, depending on the time of year, even though I don’t get paid for more then 40-45 hours per week, depending on the time of the year.

I spend my free time on the message boards trying to educate people about a number of law enforcement and wildlife management concerns, with an emphasis on deer management because that is the least understood topic of hunters yet undoubtedly the most critical to the future.

Educating people is a hobby for me. While some people like to sit and watch TV, sit in the bars or what ever else they do, I simply don’t drink and find TV both boring and disgusting so I study, reports and data then try to explain it so that the hunters can understand it.

I believe a pretty high number of the more logical and intelligent hunters do learn from it. But, all I can do is present the data I can’t make people intelligent enough to understand it. I can’t make people accept things they are too not willing to look at objectively either. But, I will help people see the other side of the story so that those that have enough intelligence can think it through to a logical conclusion.

By the way how is my personal time any of your business? I’ll bet you are even one of those that fights against the license increase that would enable WCOs to spend more time in the field protecting the resources, aren’t you?

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 11-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Spike

RSB..keep posting... you are correct.. and I bet you didn't vote for Murtha... also, if he feels like debating this stuff online so be it.. at least he isn't like the lady in Ohio who investigated Joe the plumber on office time... we are talking about deer hunting.. and conservation...

RSB Ihave been lucky enough to have left PA and hunted all over.. I have learned a lot... I also grew up farming and understand carrying capcity as well.. I posted something on your other topic.. keep it up..
Old 11-27-2008, 08:59 PM
RSB
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: fellas2

Once again my two cents just for sh**s and giggles.If we are in fact killing twice as many 2 year old bucks now than before AR,are we not just prolonging the inevitable for 365 days ? I would rather see some facts on the harvest of mature 5 or 6 year old bucks thanquibbling about the 2 year old ones.Granted,the 2 year old ones should have bigger antlers,but unless these deer are allowed to reach a fully mature age we will never see the real benefits of letting these deer walk.Seems to me all we're doing is increasing the average antler size of harvested bucks while sacrificng the numbers of them harvested.If we're not harvesting the number of 2 year olds as Bluebird and Coalcracker show in their post,then my question to the Pgc is why not ? These 2 and 3 year old buck should have larger antlers and therefor available for the taking for the majority of hunters.From my personal experience i'm seeing a slight increase in average antler size but far fewer bucks being taken overall.

I have some data on the percentage of bucks of various ages being taken to this area’s largest Taxidermist the past couple of years that I can share with you. This is from a sample of over 400 bucks.

Age…………2006.…………….2007
1.5.………….5.4 %…………….0.7 %
2.5.…………38.8 %…………..44.6 %
3.5.…………34.2 %…………..37.2 %
4.5.…………14.6 %…………..12.2 %
5.5.………….4 6 %……………2.7 %
6.5.………….2.3 %……………2.0 %
7.5.………….0.0 %……………0.7 %

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 11-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Spike

man, do you guys really care that much about rack size? i really could careless. i really miss how it used to be...a buck is a bucka big 10 or a spike i'd be happy with either maybe you guys watch too much of those hunting shows ha
Old 11-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Spike

Killing spikes and yearlings are easy.. go to the range... does are just as sporting... Killing big bucks ain't easy consistently... When I left Pa and went to Georgia to hunt they laughed at me and how little I knew.. when I left I was able to consistently find big bucks.. not always kill them ... that is half the problem here.. brown and down mentality... it has to change.. Hunting ain't killin... Dad taught me that...

Uncle Sam taught me this...for those of us who have had to serve in bad places you understand that quickly.. killing is bad...
Old 11-27-2008, 09:08 PM
RSB
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cuernos1

RSB..keep posting... you are correct.. and I bet you didn't vote for Murtha... also, if he feels like debating this stuff online so be it.. at least he isn't like the lady in Ohio who investigated Joe the plumber on office time... we are talking about deer hunting.. and conservation...

RSB Ihave been lucky enough to have left PA and hunted all over.. I have learned a lot... I also grew up farming and understand carrying capcity as well.. I posted something on your other topic.. keep it up..

Thank you, Sir!

I could tell from the first of your posts, I encountered, that you have a pretty good understanding of wildlife management. Thanks for your posts, welcome aboard and keep up the posting.

We need more people with common sense and good judgment on the message boards.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 11-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Spike

Uncle Sam taught me this...for those of us who have had to serve in bad places you understand that quickly.. killing is bad... then why do you hunt?
Old 11-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Spike

im just sick of talking about this....all people care about now is big bucks and not the thrill of the hunt, but whatever everybody from pa..good luck monday
Old 11-27-2008, 09:47 PM
RSB
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: pahunter60

Uncle Sam taught me this...for those of us who have had to serve in bad places you understand that quickly.. killing is bad... then why do you hunt?

If you have to ask that question then it is probably too far beyond you to understand the answer too.

You were never in a combat zone where you had to kill were you?

There really is a difference between killing and hunting. Though hunting involves killing it is not a joyous thing when we make the kill. Even though I love to hunt and have no reservations about making a harvest I always feel remorse for having taken the life of my harvest. Killing for the good of your country and mankind is a totally different function and not one that can be equated or compared with hunting.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 11-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Spike

Pahunter60.. first of all.. I spent my life serving the US as a Green Beret.. I have a plate in my hips and two pins that hold me together.. if I want to hunt I hunt. I earned the right to do whatever I want.. If I just want to moan about something I can cause I EARNED IT...I get my check from Uncle Sam every month for injuries earned in the line of duty..

Second, many times I don't kill anything.. but spending that time in the woods relaxes me and takes away a few demons which some of us may carry... Your nice to have thing called hunting was earned by guys like me.. Hunting, guns and such are something we all should cherish and we damn sure better think about HARD...

I have taken the time to learn about game management and read voraciously (a lot ) about deer managerment.. If we all could work together on this topic in PA we could all shoot big bucks because they would be common place..

Quick Reply: pa antler restrictions yes or no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.