Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Yearly MD Shotgun Season Thread >

Yearly MD Shotgun Season Thread

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Yearly MD Shotgun Season Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Yearly MD Shotgun Season Thread

Sampson,
I walked that one a few years back in "off" season, but never hunted it.
I plan on doing my homework and scouting on a few WMA's this spring, and that one is on the list.

Nick

ORIGINAL: Sampson

ORIGINAL: Slackdaddy

Same here, opening of "gun" season lost the thrill after I started bow hunting a few years back, My property borders a WMA and the deer trickle off the WMA all morning, "Boom-Flop".
But What I have learned to enjoy about opening day is "setting up" a youth or 1st time hunter and now My kids are getting old enough to go.

Slack

I found the WMA off Ferrylanding Road while at work one day. How's that place for squirrel and deer?
Old 12-04-2008, 05:58 AM

I hunt Calvert Cliffs a lot and have been thinking about heading north a little. I saw that one a few years back when more interested in squirrel. I walked back about 100 yards but being I was supposed to be working I didn't go back much further than that. In Lusby I've seen three deer but only two since firearms season started. They ran into the direction of another hunter so I couldn't get a shot off.

ORIGINAL: Slackdaddy

Sampson,
I walked that one a few years back in "off" season, but never hunted it.
I plan on doing my homework and scouting on a few WMA's this spring, and that one is on the list.

Nick

Old 12-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Man, i have not seen anything the last few days.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Been hunting Meade? I didn't join this year for coaching youth football, but wonder how things are going over there.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

My wife has been sick this week and now I am. I have not even gone out this week. I have friends that went to patuxent river state park and my one friend said he saw 1 shoot through the bottom so fast he couldn't see anything through the scope except a little fur and a whole lot of trees. He then spooked a pack of them a little later.

I'm hoping to get out some this week and next weekend.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DougMD

Been hunting Meade? I didn't join this year for coaching youth football, but wonder how things are going over there.
Doug i joined this year and shortly after i regret it. they imposed a new rule thata buck must have a 15" spread to be a legal buck. The only thing i ever see there are 40-60lb deer and the feilds are becoming so overgrown it's really sad.
I do not see many food sources there and someone shot a 17lb deer. Hell a fawn should weigh more then that when born.
Not sure what needs to happen there but something does. Maybe charging more for the permits and putting some of the money back into the reserve. Maintaining the feilds and planting some food sources?

I have not hunted there except for some evenings when i take my son after school. If there was somewhwere else close i could take him after school i would.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

All the money that is charged for the permitt at Patuxent goes to paying the HCS staff . None goes towards the refuge . They are supposed to start strip mowing the fields ( call the refuge and keep putting bugs in there ear about the fields ) . I actuall like the new 15" rule I have seen many small bucks this season so we should have a very good crop of bucks .
Old 12-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

At the meeting they had decided to let all the fields either go back to wild or keep them mowed. Which ones I don't know. That was the govt agency that helps manage that area's decision.

I guess we'll need to adjust our strategies to finding the acorns since there will be no fields with plots in them.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Marylandbowhunter

All the money that is charged for the permitt at Patuxent goes to paying the HCS staff . None goes towards the refuge . They are supposed to start strip mowing the fields ( call the refuge and keep putting bugs in there ear about the fields ) . I actuall like the new 15" rule I have seen many small bucks this season so we should have a very good crop of bucks .
That's why i was saying charge more and put some money into the reserve. Have permit holders donate 10 hours per yearmowing grass and feilds, clearing the road ways and trails, ect...
15" rule is fine but maybe an adjustment for the youths. something like they had last year, 1 15" spread buck, 1 anything and 1 doe.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

Going to Patuxent Wildlife Refuge at Fort Meade tomorrow. I'd sure like to take a doe.

Quick Reply: Yearly MD Shotgun Season Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.