Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY.Gun Season

Old 11-16-2008, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY.Gun Season

close your eyes. what do you see?

thats what i saw for an ALL DAY SIT...

bleh! mosquitos and bees!
Old 11-16-2008, 07:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Would anyone else classify it as the worst opening 2 days they've ever seen (or heard)?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

I can't say that killed a nice unicorn (1 8 inch spike )
Old 11-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Day 2, saw 6 does and two spikes but no shooters. At least the weather was better today.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

16 hours in the stand and 2 deer seen.Shot a small 4 point at 10:15 this morning.The weather couldnt have been worse.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

here in wyoming county it was raining all day sat. but calm and warm. sat all day,saw 7 bucks all chasing does. only 1 shooter. thought the doe would lead him closer but that didnt materialize. sunday was cold, windy,snowing off and on. sat till 9. saw 1 doe. went with the nieghbors to do some pushing. guy shot a doe on the first push. second push resulted in 2 dead coyotes and 100 inch 2 1/2 year old 8 pt. then nothing on the next 2. everyone went back out to sit at 230. out of 8 guys they shot 5 does out of there stands. 7 deer and 2 coyotes. not to bad of a opening weekendc for the crappy weather.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

Crossed pathssaturday morn walking to stand w/ a monster, biggest deer i have seen in the wild. Probably 150 + this was about 45 min b4 light enough to shoot. I walked right up on him on path my headlamp maybe dazed him was only 15 yd It made the sit alot easier knowing he was near nothing during 6 hrs saturday and no deer in about 6 hrs Sunday Not much shooting either day here in Niagara county
Old 11-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Spike

Wow. The weather was a real dampener on my opening weekend too. A few nice buck taken in the area of 3k on Saturday before the rain started. I didn't see any deer the whole two days I hunted. I'll have to wait until next weekend to give it another try.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

still not a tail...
Old 11-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Number of gun shots were way down from past opening weekends in East Otto, NY. Probably less hunters cause of the rain I'd assume as I saw lots of deer moving Saturday in the pouring rain.

Here are the photos of my Buck I shot on Sunday, it's barely a 4pt, If I had seen it in my tree stand earlier I may have let it walk past and saved my Buck tag for a bigger trophy, but this deer had been shot once by someone else earlier and I actually saw it as I was crossing a wooden bridge over a creek on my dad's property. The deer had been laying in the creek nursing its wound. It popped up when we spotted each other and I knew instantly I had to harvest this deer regardless of the size to put it out of it's misery. Rest of the messed up storyof this weekend to follow, that's just the tip of the iceberg......

(and no he didn't commit suicide, back leg was too messed up by whomever shot him first to hang upside down)

... And now for the rest of the story. I took of work Fri and headed to East Otto. I Bow hunted all day, almost had a chance at a Doe that walked out in front of me as I was spotting and stalking.

Sat Morning:
Rained all day first off and I was soaked to the bone. Got in my stand around 5:30am finally saw a 6 point buck about 8:30am was walking perfectly in front of me broadside, I pulled up on it hit the trigger and nothing happened. When I had loaded my gun the slug hadn't seated correctly. I pumped the gun to eject the shell, deer took off and ran toward my buddy that shot at it a few minutes later and missed it. 30 minutes later a doe ran by me so fast never had a shot. 45 minutes after that a small doe sneaked up behind me, I did take a low percentage shot at it (back the head) missed. Got out my stand about 10:30am to make sure I missed the doe. Meet up with my 2 hunting buddies we fanned out and started walking hoping to scare up some deer (which I did, they ran toward my brother-in-law who shot a big doe out of the group). We tracked it for awhile I looped around to head it off. I walked up about 100 yards past it and saw it laying down. Could not shoot as I would have been shooting straight up hill toward hunting buddies. I radioed them to lay down behind a tree, by the time I got a reply the deer stood up and left. We tracked it for a few hours the trail finally lead to a creek and we lost it. I saw a few deer the rest the day actually had my cross-hairs on a big doe, as I thumbed the safety off, as shot rang out in the distance and it took off. My brother-in-law missed another one at some point too. Each of us had seen about a dozen deer and all of us had missed at least once on shots.

Sunday (It gets worse)
We planned to take ATV out as the creeks were swelling and deep with all of the rain from Sat. Couldn't get an ATV to start (batteries all dead) so we took the long way over 2 bridges and walked out. Snowed all day (sat in my stand about 5 hours didn't see a single deer). Brother-in-law sat in a ground blind saw group of doe twice second time took a shot at one and missed. We split up started walking as I was in the middle of the one bridge saw this buck in the water as I had mentioned and shot it. When I pulled up a second time to do a head shot to finish it off so it didn't have to suffer caught my walkie talkie ear bud cord ripped it out of my ear and the pocket and it fell through the bridge planks into the stream and was gone. We walked back to get an ATV started to get our stands and the deer. Figured we'd jump start if need be. Actually were able to roll start one. We got all the way in the back of the hundred acres and the ATV stalled. So we walked back, dragged the 200lb deer about a mile up and down hills back to the house. Jump started another ATV and drove back and had to tow the first one. Of course it was bogged down in a mud puddle and wouldn't tow. So after about an hour we got them both on dry ground, but had to go back through the mud slop to get home. So I just gunned it and we hit the mud at about 30 mph, sprayed Mud up all over on the towed ATV and driver (glad it wasn't me). Got everything back to the house (although lost my little camp seat of the ATV being towed in the process).

Good new is this makes 3 years in a row I harvest a deer opening weekend in East Otto, on the flip side I'm down one walkie talkie and a camp chair. and tired and sore as hell from pushing an ATV out of the mud and dragging that buck.

Quick Reply: NY.Gun Season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.