Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

No acorns!

Old 11-11-2008, 02:39 PM

Default No acorns!

I'm in north central MA, acorn crop was horrible this year. How was it in other NE states?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: No acorns!

Bad in my area of South Jersey too.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: pescatore

I'm in north central MA, acorn crop was horrible this year. How was it in other NE states?
here in WMU2G in pa. i have yet to find a acorn
Old 11-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

Hit and miss here in Northern NY .
Some of the trees were loaded ..
Old 11-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spotty here in Steuben Co. NY....I haven't seen many trees that produced heavily but some areas have a light to average crop...

Some ridges/hollows seem to have practically none..

Fall turkey hunting has been difficult because the birds are ranging widely to find the mast, and have been tough to pattern..
Old 11-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Same in orange county, spotty, seems the gypsy moths had a field day in some areas, and left some alone. I'm heading to my hunting camp tomorrow afternoon and I'll walk up to my stand, a lot of oak trees and shrub oaks around. It'll be interesting to see if that area is affected the same way as where I bow hunt. If it is and the acorns are gone, next yearI'll have to get some Imperial No Plow and throw it around the area just to keep them coming in. Didn't see a deer in my bow area and only two early morning bucks in my sons area in the pines.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: accman

Same in orange county, spotty, seems the gypsy moths had a field day in some areas, and left some alone. I'm heading to my hunting camp tomorrow afternoon and I'll walk up to my stand, a lot of oak trees and shrub oaks around. It'll be interesting to see if that area is affected the same way as where I bow hunt. If it is and the acorns are gone, next yearI'll have to get some Imperial No Plow and throw it around the area just to keep them coming in. Didn't see a deer in my bow area and only two early morning bucks in my sons area in the pines.
same here in pa.no acorns and deer hunting is terrible because you cant pattern anything.
deer that are left are feeding near roads, road hunters and poachers had a great year but now, my hunting wayback is terrible because those deer are gone.

when we had feed last year, deer stayed back in woods away from roads, not this year .[:@]
Old 11-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

I have heard alot of people around here complaining of little to no acorns. It definetly isn't like last year. The property that i hunt has one big white oak on it that is loaded with acorns. The deer have been camped out around it for weeks, every morning, afternoon and midday there are deer around it. I have seen a few acorns other places but not an abundance of them. I am in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

take a couple of bags of 10-10-10 and dig holes around your oak tree and put some in those holes next spring.

you will have a tree full of white acorns.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

so we have to dig the holes nowand put 10-10-10 in them in spring

Quick Reply: No acorns!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.