Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 the rut is on in NY >

the rut is on in NY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

the rut is on in NY

Old 11-07-2008, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: the rut is on in NY

Central NY 7M, haven't seen any chasing yet. Just came back from camp, heading backing down w/ my son after school tonight. Still seeing some fresh scrapes, and a ton of rubs have showed up last few days. In my area once the rubs showup like this its only a few days away.
Here's my take on the rut. I maintain a activity log for past 10yrs on my area. It does usually happen around the sametime every yr. obviously. But it can very by days & wk or two year to year. One thing I watch thats had an effect in my area is how soon or late spring arrives. If springs late, I've found the rut to start later. Perfect example of this is we had a late spring last yr. The rut kicked in the latest I'd ever seen it in my area. Not until day 2 of Reg. season. Weather also effects it, like this warm spell. If it remains warm it'll just occur at night, and we won't see much of it during the day. Also what some don't realize is it may start in your area, but not in my area for days or wk later, and vice versus. The switch just doesn't come on for all of NYS! You can also call your DEC regional office, speak to the wildlife biologists, and he'll give you his findings for yourneck of the woods. I've found them to be pretty accuratein the past.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

im not going back its a waste of time.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Spike

I've only seen 2 small bucks chasing a doe around so far.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Had a big 6 or small 8 running a doe around us all last night. Good sized deer. Never gave either of a good clean shot.. Nice buck though. Hunting Nasau
Old 11-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted my best spot all day yesterday. No chasing at all yet. Saw a few different groups of does but no bucks except for one lone, small 5pt.

I gotta think if any of those does were almost ready, there'd a been a buck with them.

Im thinking the real action is gonna start thursday or friday and go for a week or two into gun season. Good luck guys.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

I ve been seeing does but no bucks chasing them here yet .
Fridays evenings hunt was great except for the fog .
8 does and 1 buck .
Old 11-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pygmy

Of course the rut is on... It's a calendar thing, triggered by the decrease of light in the days..Happens EVERY year this time..That's how they get LITTLE deer, along about May..

Warm weather can slow the process, and cold snaps can accelerate the process, but it always happens about the same time each year...

It's not like someone throws a switch...It's a gradual thing that happens from about the middle of October to the middle of December in NY....
x2
Old 11-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

Over here in 9J things are cranking up. The last 2 days seen to real studs out 2 hours before dark. The first one was sent checking a standing corn field and making a scrape. He was on a mission for sure. Didn't wait around very long, just enough to finish what he set out for. I stopped counting at 12 points, kind of got caught in the momment for about 30 seconds with this giant, I was just in shear aw of this deer, a few grunts stopped him , and turned him for about 30yrds but then he got his mind back and left. No shot at him , he walked away at 65 yards. The second buck came out at 256pm yesterday afternoon about 70yards away , he was on a mission, just trucking thru the woods with his nose to the ground. Gave him a couple grunts, stopped him and brought him in on a string to 25yards. A main frame 10 with 10in g-2's 9 1/2 in G-3's and 7 1/2 inch g-4's . His brows were only 5in. He was about 210lbs on the hoof, a pig for this area. Well I couldn't pass up this deer, I smoked him at 25yrds double lung, he only ran 40 yards and piled up. He dressed out at 184. I will try to post a pics as soon as I can.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

The rut has just started up here in the past few days and should be going full swing by this weekend.. I have been checking out where a monsterbuck has been chasing a few does around.. I have found a couple of antler rubs as well as a couple of scrapes he has made.. Hopefully he will give me a good shot at him by this weekend.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome morning! saw more deer this morning, than all hunts this year,combined. Even had two small bucks fighting under my stand.

Killed a nice 6pt that was trailing a doe around 10 am and even had an even bigger buck chase a doe a few yards from me while I was dressing my buck!

Will post pics in bow forum tommorrow. Not at my own PC right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.