Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 massachusetts rut >

massachusetts rut

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

massachusetts rut

Old 11-04-2008, 08:35 AM

Default massachusetts rut

has anybody seen any signs of the rut yet. i haven't found squat for scrapes or rubs. ive found some scrapes maybe 8 to 10 but none of them have been hit since they were opened two weeks ago, which is unusual you would think they would be opening them up, with all the leaves in them now. ive seen deer everyday, except for three days. ive been on vacation since last wednesday and still have another week after this one. ive seen all does either in groups or just loners by themselves. another question i have is where are the bucks you'd think theyd be cruisin by now, but maybe not. is it still early in massachusetts?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: massachusetts rut

young bucks are chasing... I haven't seen any yet, but my buddies have. i have seen some areas torn up w/ scrapes & rubs...new one's every day. Other spots don't have squat.
I have been having a very slow season so far... not much happening in my spots. I guess I have been at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Buddy shot a 3 point ona doe yesterday PM, another buddy saw a monster chasing, but had no shot, and another buddy was out tracking a good "rack buck" last night that he shot working a scrape.
My other friend shot a small 6 point in CT that was chasing does and had a spike come by chasing as well. I think it's on!

Old 11-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

havent seen much of anything.the rut is not even in sight from what i can see.all season so far the buck sign has been minimal.at least in my area of western mass.just not seeing much even in the dark.off year so far.maybe when the cold weather gets here and stays it will change.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:10 PM

on thursday and friday we had bucks on the move. checking scrapes too. but today there was nothing. which i can see because its just too warm for them to move continuous, hopefully with the cooler weather this week it will get moving again. 60s is just to warm for me. it has been a real weird scrape year, compared to past years, and the bucks are still there. in my area, there are absolutely no acorns. i do think that may play a big part of it with the scrapes. as far as energy and surviving the winter with no food. do they eat hickory nuts? ihave a ton of them.