Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Mountain lions in PA! >

Mountain lions in PA!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mountain lions in PA!

Old 12-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mountain lions in PA!

The tire tracks were from a Farming tractor the day before
How much does a tractor weigh in comparison to a cat? It is highly unlikely to have a print that is that deep and clear in ground that has been compacted by a tractor.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

It sure wasn't a car tire in the middle of a farm field on the other side of a creek 1/2 mile from any road a car can drive on. I am Positive it is from a tractor, look at the tread pattern- straight lines, look at the width, this is not a car tire track. Besides, I saw the tractor drive up the road after we crossed the creek. I will say this the day before we hunted that area the weather warmed up a bit and it waseven warmer the day we hunted there. So, you don't debate the track as being a big cat but now you want to debate what made the vehicle track? You love to disagree, huh? Next time I'll make sure I take a pic of the tractor and it's tires b/c I know nothing less will satisfy you.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: sproulman

ORIGINAL: 4evrhtn

my lab is around 80 pds.

his track could fit inside that one

i want john lutz to have a look at that track for you.

john is sending me a pic of cougar track taken in CLINTON COUNTY,PA.ny bowhunter will put it onhere for us.

i should have it by friday next week.

your track is one of best i have seen ,so far
Thanks Sproul for sending that pic out. I was worried when I took the pic of how it would come out. All I had was my cell phone but I am happy with what I got. Next time I will make sure I have my digital camera.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am Positive it is from a tractor, look at the tread pattern- straight lines, look at the width, this is not a car tire track.
I am also positive it was a farm tractor and the straight lines indicate it was made by a front tire which carry a lot of weight and would compress the ground to a point where it would be next to impossible for a cat to make such a clear, deep print. I have seen bear tracks in the mud in a swamp where the soil hadn't been compressed that weren't as clear as that cat print and bear are much heavier than cats.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

I am Positive it is from a tractor, look at the tread pattern- straight lines, look at the width, this is not a car tire track.
I am also positive it was a farm tractor and the straight lines indicate it was made by a front tire which carry a lot of weight and would compress the ground to a point where it would be next to impossible for a cat to make such a clear, deep print. I have seen bear tracks in the mud in a swamp where the soil hadn't been compressed that weren't as clear as that cat print and bear are much heavier than cats.
that is best picture of TRACK i have ever seen.

does anyone feel its not COUGAR track.

i am no expert on cougar tracks.

i will have a cougar confirmed track this week for us.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did anyone notice that apparently that cat didn't have any claws?
Old 12-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Did anyone notice that apparently that cat didn't have any claws?
Anyone withany knowledge of any feline would know that their claws are retracted when not needed as in when they walk.

I will say that track looks a bit too perfect however...
Old 12-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone with any knowledge of any feline would know that their claws are retracted when not needed as in when they walk
While that is true, if that cat had claws, the pads would be tapered toward the claw ,instead of rounded as in the pic. Here is a link to cougar tracks that illustrate my point..

http://www.bear-tracker.com/cougar.html

Old 12-14-2008, 03:01 PM

Cats keep claws hidden till needed. I have seen deer tracks make deeper inpressions over tire tracks also.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:12 PM

After looking at the link from BB,all the 2 center toes in themdon't line up as in the pic that is posted on here they do. I would question that track now.

Quick Reply: Mountain lions in PA!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.