Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Mountain lions in PA! >

Mountain lions in PA!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Mountain lions in PA!

Old 12-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mountain lions in PA!

That would explain why the mountain lion around here was seem so far away fromt he first sighting.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

I assure you these tracks were found in Schuylkill County. I have no reason to lie and nothing to gain from posting this.But still, thanks for taking my word for it.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

This same discussion came up at our camp last week during bear season. My cousin told me that while he was on his lion hunt in Idaho and talking to the outfitter, the outfitter claimed that cougars have a huge home range. When they cut a track, if it is too old to follow, they keep checking the area. It usually takes about 5 days for a male lion to complete its circle of its home range. And this is in an area where lions exist in a huntable population. I don't discount the possibility of cougars in PA or NY or any other of the north eastern states. With the snow over the 3 day bear season, 3 of us in camp did cut several coyote tracks and a pair of bobcat tracks. The bobcat tracks were from 2 cats - probably a mated pair. (I don't know when their mating season is). But they were traveling together. And the tracks were no where near the size of the ones in this post but very similar in appearance.
I know it would be a real pi**ing contest in court if someone shot one here. The PGC claims that if an animal is not listed as a game animal nor on the unprotected list, it is protected. So a cougar in PA could not be legally shot. On the other hand, if the PGC claims they do not exist in PA how could someone shoot something that doesn't exist?? A Pandora's box it seems.
i think they got law changed to maKE IT A VIOLATION IF YOU SHOOT tame cat ALSO.

so, you cant get one to see if its wild or tame..
Old 12-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

I hope someone shoots a mountain lion to show that they are here and the game commision couldn't lie about them anymore.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

I don't understand. Why would the PGC lie about mountain lions?? Explain it to me.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

Because maybe they would then have to explain where they came from. I do not believe they migrated into Pa I believe they were introduced. Some I am sure are from captive origins..pets, etc. But not every cat in the wild was born in captivity.. I don't buy that.
If they did travel from outside of the state they would do so from a particular area and more would follow. The reports would show a higher concentration of sightings in the area of origin but that is not the case. Same thing happens with ferral hogs and the such. They populate an area, feast on what they can and move onto the next area capable of sustaining them.They aren't going to bypass good hunting grounds without good reason. They don't travel just to travel. A cougar does have a wide range but only when food,territory andmating dictates it needs to.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

the poor horse.....
Old 12-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mlo31351270

I don't understand. Why would the PGC lie about mountain lions?? Explain it to me.
no doubt a WCO has seen a cougar in pa.

most likely if admitted, they would cause them some problems that they do not want.

but remember, i only saw 1 in my lifetime,they are not that plentiful.

i believe same cougar may be seen in diffrent areas and i believe they may come and go too.

too many people i know that know difference from cougar/bobcat.
too many.to be mistaken.

i remember when we were being denied that we were seeing COYOTES all in about 2 years in great numbers back in the 90s.

no doubt in my mind that SOMEONE released coyotes into our woods and did it in about a 2 year period back then.[:@]

as for cougar, i dont believe that PGC released them but i think they wandered into state as you read now how far cougars are coming from.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mlo31351270

I'll explain it to you.

We all know that the PGC is strapped for cash. License increases have been denied for the last few years.

We also know that the PGC manages all wild life inside the Pennsylvania border.

Now, if the eastern cougar were found to actually exist in Pennsylvania, guess who would be footing the bill to do studies. They'd need to find out all kinds of information about this endangered animal.

This animal actually existing may bring a halt to many practices such as timbering. The DCNR and PGC definitely don't want a halt in timber sales.

There would probably be many bills brought about to prevent disturbing these big cats.

Just think of when all those environmental groups get involved. The anti hunters would chime in with all their proposals to halt outdoor activities such as hunting, trapping and such to prevent harrassment of the mountain lion.

There would be a media circus if they were proven to exist with many people, hunters don't need, getting involved.

So for right now, it is much simpler for the PGC to just to deny they're here.

Look at what the endangered spotted owl did to the timber industry several years ago.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's why you pin 'em to the ground and go on your merry way. We don't need to hear about it.

Quick Reply: Mountain lions in PA!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.