Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Almost a Statistic This Morning >

Almost a Statistic This Morning

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Almost a Statistic This Morning

Old 11-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Almost a Statistic This Morning

ORIGINAL: nybowhunter

Glad to hear you are ok. Make sure you always tell somebody where you are hunting. I never hunt alone anymore bevcause I had a similar accident.
i do same thing.

i tell everyone where i am going and what time i should be in.

like it gets dark at 6 pm say, i will tell everyone i will be in by 730pm at latest.

i only use a WAIST harness,i feel comfortable with it even tho its not as good as a body one.

i may get body one because i fall asleep on and off in tree.

thoseguys in their 60s running out ahead of me ,pushing trees over in my path to beat me to MY spot,with summit stands on their backs, trust me,ITS JUST MATTER OF TIME I WILL HEAR SOUND LIKE THIS,ohhhhhhhhhhhh,ahhhhhhhhhhh,ughhhhhhhhh,help ole sproul, help,helpppppppppp.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TRACKER

Pretty scary ,
How soon we do forget .
Though you guys are right abought the age thing .
I had are very near fall with my lone wolf lock on .
I had it all set up so I thought .Went to dig it in for stability and all of the suddden the whole stand just fell .
Not sure how but I manage to grab a limb the instant it let go .
One other time years later same stand I lost my balance while standing and trying to get a shot at a deer .I smartly had my saftey harness on and just dangle off the side for a couple minutes until I climebed back in it ,
Realy gets you thinking .
SMOOTH trees are biggest boo boo we can make with climbing stand.

always use tree that has lots of thick bark on it
Old 11-04-2008, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sproul,

I like having you around here buddy. Go get yourself a SOP harness. I use one and you hardly know you have it on. Plus, the rope they use with the prusic knot is the cats meow IMO. Those dang belt styles will suffocate a guy.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Spike

Take care and plz be careful next time, though it can happen in an instant.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Spike

Another good reason not to use screw in steps. You're lucky you didn't impale yourself on one of the pegs when you fell. Guys have literally gutted themselves by falling down trees into the "hooked" part of them. Use a climbing stick or a good ladder. Anything but those Dam* screw in steps. Not only can the kill a tree they can kill you!!

Glad you were OK. Everyone just be safe.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

Sproul,

I like having you around here buddy. Go get yourself a SOP harness. I use one and you hardly know you have it on. Plus, the rope they use with the prusic knot is the cats meow IMO. Those dang belt styles will suffocate a guy.
i agree and also like your points on hunting too.

there is big bear in hollow ,500 pds that PGC was checking friday with their electronics thing.HE MUST HAVE COLLAR ON.

also i know there is a 250 pd there also as he is in my yard every night.i dont hunt bear anymore,lost interest but i see them a lot and MOST are little bears under 100 pds.

pm me if you are interested.

it is in clinton county and not to far from where you said you saw deer but i dont see to many.

back to topic.

when i got my summit stand, they sent me a body harness,i used it then but now i have just ladder stand and waist one which i used for 25 years, is ok,but i agree,it could choke you.

i put it up high under my arms after i sit down.

you should see the seat i made for my ladder stand.

i took one of those high back plastic fish boat seats and strapped it down with those buckle tie -down straps.

I CAN SIT ALL DAY WITH THAT ONE, WELL, ALMOST ALL DAY
Old 11-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cnyguy

Another good reason not to use screw in steps. You're lucky you didn't impale yourself on one of the pegs when you fell. Guys have literally gutted themselves by falling down trees into the "hooked" part of them. Use a climbing stick or a good ladder. Anything but those Dam* screw in steps. Not only can the kill a tree they can kill you!!

Glad you were OK. Everyone just be safe.
i saw guy who had a 20ft ladder stand,he then took a LOCK -ON STAND and put it about 4 ft above the top seat area of the ladder stand.

he loves it,no need for steps or climbing stand in morning.

but when he is not there for days,he takes the lock on stand down and hides it in laural with lock on it.
so, if you want to get HIGH,that may be a real safe way of doing it.

me, above 15 ft is waste in my opinion,if you smoke your clothes like i said, 15 ft is no problem, even 12 ft is fine.

smoke them everyday ,i do mine in evening,.then into my burlap bag and dress at truck in morning.

now, in gun season, i wear my clothes right from home as your shots are longer and you dont have to be as PROTECTED as you do in archery.

i swear there is some APACHE in me
Old 01-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by muzzyman88
I'll be 30 in December. When I first started using a climber, I had a loggy bayou. I used a safety belt when I hunted from it. Thankfully, I never had a fall.

Now, I use a summit and full body harness. I'm attached from the ground up, and than back again. Never, will I climb without my harness.I love to hunt too much to make a bonehead mistake of not wearing my harness. Every season, you read about guys falling out and getting busted up pretty bad, or worse, dying. All because they think they're too tough or macho to wear a harness.

Does anyone realize that a fall of 20ft for a 180lb guy means hitting the ground at some 25mph? Not pretty.

I'm glad you're OK and made it out alive, but, I do not feel bad for you. Where the hell was your safety harness?
after reading all this, man, i will never go in tree without harness on.

Last edited by sproulman; 01-15-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally feel safer in a climber than any other type of stand.Use a harness the whole time and you should be fine.Most accident happen when people are either stepping into or out of a hang on stand.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DougE
I personally feel safer in a climber than any other type of stand.Use a harness the whole time and you should be fine.Most accident happen when people are either stepping into or out of a hang on stand.
i believe you on that douge. i used to use strap on steps, boy were they a accident waiting to happen.many times i almost ruptured myself.
i cant believe i am buying a climber after all these years.ladderstands are not going to work on SFL as it has for me over years.too much pressure and less bucks ,i have to be able to move now.looking at SUMMIT 180 MAX as we talk here.