HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   My first Bow buck (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/270875-my-first-bow-buck.html)

stretchhunts 10-30-2008 06:31 PM

My first Bow buck

Well I started hunting with a bow when I was 18 years old. I've missed 5 bucks and one doe. Buck fever was killing me.Last year I hit a 5 pointer but we couldn't find him. I will say this stuck with me and bothered me up until yesterday. Well yesterday it was snowing out real hard and a little windy but I decided to go and give it a try. I figured I wasn't going to get my first bow deer sitting on the couch. I got into the ladder stand my son and wife uses at 4:00pm. At 4:30 I was second guessing myself since I was already cold and the wind picked up. 15 mins later I caught something out of the corner of my left eye. I saw a deer about 45-50 yards facing me with it's head down. At first I thought it was a doe. It then lifted it's head and I saw it was a 4 point that I missed on opening day. He was walking broad side at 45-50 yards. Just as I was going to grab my grunt tube he turned and started walking right to me. Now I'm thinking "NO WAY THIS ISN'T HAPPENING". he came in to 20 yards turned broad side. Just as he was going to enter my shooting lane he looked right up at me. Now it was the moment of truth. Did he bust me? I froze. I stood for a few mins. He then must have felt it was safe b/c he stepped right out into my shooting lane and gave me a perfect shot. I drew my bow back and released the arrow. I never have heard a arrow hit a deer like this one did. He took off running. I sent my wife a text to tell her I hit one. Then it was time to call my uncle Teddy who is my long time hunting partner and best friend. I could barley talk. He told me to get down and to walk away from where the deer went and to get back to the house. When I got to his house our friend Paul C was pulling in. My uncle had already called him and told him we need his help. We waited about 30 mins and decided to go after him since it was getting dark. the three of us and my cousin Mitchell were tracking the deer. I started to get scared b/c we didn't find blood. NOW I was thinking "NOT AGAIN ANOTHER LOST DEER". If this was the case I was thinking about giving up on Bow hunting. I got a call from my uncle saying Paul found a lot of blood. As soon as I saw the blood on a tree I knew the RAGE 2 blade had done it's job. Finally at 6:00 my uncle yelled I see him. I can't explain the emotion I had inside of me at this time. Paul and my uncle both gave me high fives and Mitchell told me he loves me. Paul thankfully went and got his 4 wheeler so we didn't have a long drag. Once the deer was hung we had a victory beer together. Paul and Teddy told me good job many times and how proud they were. I knew if I didn't have family and friends like these two guys this would have never happened. So I have to say thanks to them both I owe them big time. I just wish my wife and kids could have been there to celebrate with us. Maybe next time. Sorry this is so long but this is one of the best times of my life and I FINALLY GOT MY 1ST BOW BUCK.

stretchhunts 10-30-2008 06:35 PM

RE: My first Bow buck

Here's the hole the RAGE 2 BLADE MADE.

nybowhunter 10-30-2008 06:37 PM

Congrats on your first buck! It is an awesome feeling isn't it!

stretchhunts 10-30-2008 06:39 PM

ORIGINAL: nybowhunter

Congrats on your first buck! It is an awesome feeling isn't it!

Yes it is. Best feeling in the world.

gmil6184 10-30-2008 08:22 PM

awesome job

CampWildwoodNY 10-30-2008 08:45 PM

Congrats stretch, it's an awesome feeling isn't!!:D

stretchhunts 10-30-2008 08:54 PM

thanks Camp and gmil

RuLzU 10-31-2008 12:17 AM

CONGRATTS STRECHY!!

accman 10-31-2008 08:30 AM

Congrats, I know the feeling of missing one. I've been bowhunting for four seasons now, and two years ago, I had a 20 yd shot on a four pointer, the arrow struck his shoulder, didn't go through, and he took off like a rocket. I waited, called my son, and we both searched for him for four hours. No blood trail at all.I found his hoof prints cause of the length of his stride and knew which way he was heading. He ran the flat for 200 yds, then ran over the knoll and into the swamp. I was devastated. I've never wounded one that I didn't know what happened to it and I felt I let the sport down. I looked for him the rest of the day, trying to hopefully spot him, but no luck.

Hopefully, I'll have an opportunity to redeem myself, but I loveto practice with the bow, and bowhunting brings you closer to the sport than rifle.I do both, andjustpray to have a great experience like the one you had this year. Life's too short not to make every huntingday count. Good luck this rest of the year.

stretchhunts 10-31-2008 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: accman

Congrats, I know the feeling of missing one. I've been bowhunting for four seasons now, and two years ago, I had a 20 yd shot on a four pointer, the arrow struck his shoulder, didn't go through, and he took off like a rocket. I waited, called my son, and we both searched for him for four hours. No blood trail at all.I found his hoof prints cause of the length of his stride and knew which way he was heading. He ran the flat for 200 yds, then ran over the knoll and into the swamp. I was devastated. I've never wounded one that I didn't know what happened to it and I felt I let the sport down. I looked for him the rest of the day, trying to hopefully spot him, but no luck.

Hopefully, I'll have an opportunity to redeem myself, but I loveto practice with the bow, and bowhunting brings you closer to the sport than rifle.I do both, andjustpray to have a great experience like the one you had this year. Life's too short not to make every huntingday count. Good luck this rest of the year.

All I can say is stick with it. I love bow hunting b/c they have to get so close to you. I will say I'm still upset loosing the deer last year but this makes it easier to deal with knowing I did it. Thanks and good luck.