Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY Opening Day Buck >

NY Opening Day Buck

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Opening Day Buck

Old 10-25-2008, 02:39 PM

Default NY Opening Day Buck

Shot my first Bow Buck on opening day of the Southern Tier opening. Sitting in my honey hole stand, a small 1/4 acre plot of wheat/brassica about 50 yards in the woods behind one of my bigger 3/4 acre plots. The honey hole serves as a stagging area for wary deer (bucks) prior to dusk. So I'm sitting 22 ft high watching3 does, 1 yearling and 1 fawn feeding away when all of a sudden one doe decides to leave stomping her hoofs and gets about 75 yards away upwind of me and starts snorting and wheezing? 3-5 minutes later and hear a grunt coming from that direction (now I know why shes in a hissy)and I slowing stand as to not alert the deer below me, which wasn't hard since all 4 where looking in the same direction away from me. Suddenly aBIG MASSemerges from behind a group of hemlocks, it's a SHOOTER! I saw big ass antlers, didn't even count, just came to full draw. However, the buck is coming to me straight on, giving me no shot. As many of us now, holding a bow at full draw for 2-3 minutes can feel like a life time, but the buck finally gave me a 15 yard quartering to shot and the Crimson Talon broadhead steered the carbon arrow straight through, I thought. The buck jumps, goes 3-4 feet and stops, looks around and then just walks off! I sat in my stand in disbelief, how could I have missed? The 4 deer are still standing around me wondering what just happened? They go back to feeding for the next agonizing 45 mintues till dark and they walk away. Thatwhole time, I'm looking at my arrow laying on its side on the ground, I'm looking at my vanes, 2 green and 1 white. The white one is, well still white. I must have ran the whole shot sequence in my head a hundred times, I know my arm was shaking while holding the bow, but I'm sure it was steady upon the release. Oh well, this was the biggest buck I've ever seen while hunting and I don't even know how many points it had, hows that for a kick in the ass I'm thinking to myself. I call my buddy on the 2-way radio to tell him of my blunder, as the great hunter partner he is, he tries to console me and said we have the whole season to bag him. I climb down from my stand after dark, pick up my arrow and then I ACTUALLY fell to my knees. The arrow did have blood, but also gut slim. I call my hunting buddy back, gave him the news and we both agree to let the buck be for the next 4 hours before we track it. We go back to camp, have dinner (I didn't eat much) watch some TV and at 10 PM we RAN, LOL to the spot the arrow was. Took us 2 hours to find him, but not before the coyotes did. The poor guy was torn up from the chest back, no ass was even left. Thank the lord, the neck and 7 point head gear was untouched. We lifted the body, estimate the buck to be 200 pounds and to be 3 1/2 years old. This is my fourth year hunting and feel truely bless to have taken such a beautiful buck. I have spoken to many hunters, many who have hunted for 20 plus years who have never taken such a deer, so you can image my excitement!
[/align][/align]Would you believe the next day, Sunday evening(or same day since I found the deer at 12:10 AM Sunday morning) I'm sitting in another stand when a nice 6 pointer (which we named Hollywood since he loves to pose for my trail cams) gave me a perfect 35 yard broadside shot! Calm down, didn't take him, I'm a honest hunter, only had the one buck tag. But wow, needless to say my hunting buddy keeps rubbing my head for good luck! Didn't seem to help him just yet, we have next weekend![/align]
Old 10-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY Opening Day Buck

What a buck! Congrats!

Old 10-25-2008, 04:48 PM

GOOD DEER BUDDY!!!
Old 10-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

thats a great deer. nice job
Old 10-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Cool story .
I like the antler color .
Southern tier ha. Where aboughts ??
Oh ya congrads and glad you found him.ybbbb
Old 10-25-2008, 08:51 PM

Thanks everyone! 7R Tracker, you?
Old 10-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great story and congrats on the buck.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is surely a nice buck, but is it only me or would anyone else be pretty upset that it was eaten by coyotes before it was found? I guess I am more of a meat hunter than horn hunter, but I somehow wouldn't be too happy if I couldn't put the meat in the freezer.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:50 PM

I'm sure many, including myself are unhappy about the meat being ruin by the coyotes. I don't eat much of the meat myself, I donate most of it to local neighbors, family and friends since wife does not like eating or cooking the venison. I do get invited to dinner alot though!

One thing to remember Steve, this is my 4th year hunting and my only 2nd buck (picture buck is 1st with a bow), so I'm pretty excited about it regardless if the meat was "donated" to the coyotes this time. Also, there'splenty ofmeat eaters in my area shootingmany of deer of inferor size that I pass on, so to actually see and harvest one of this size "horn" is truly a blessing.This weekend I will fill the freezer with a doe for some and will enjoy being invited over for dinner and good conversation.

Hope you fill your freezer Steve.

Thanks to everyone who have replied, I'm still on an high and can't wait to get him back from the taxi' to hang over the fire mantel at camp!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:00 PM

Very nice buck indeed! Yes, too bad on the meat but don't let it ruin the memory. Good luck on your next one, aim straight and email me if you want to donate some of the vension, lol.

Quick Reply: NY Opening Day Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.