Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Screw in steps in NY >

Screw in steps in NY

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Screw in steps in NY

Old 10-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Spike

Default Screw in steps in NY

I've seen about a $1000 in tree damage from these things this year. One beautiful oak with a current value about $600, and a perfect sugar maple worth $300-400. I talked to the "hunter" who has the stand in the oak, and he didn't seem to think it was a big deal. I talked to the landowner and she did. Hopefully she makes him take the steps out and use a ladder, but she's near 80 and the "hunter" is a long time neighbor. The maple is on a property where the owner didn't want any nails or stands that would damage his trees. Another farmer is not allowing any hunting because he had a veneer quality oak ruined by screw ins and other trees that had nails.

Folks use your head, it's not your property, it's not your tree. If you have to use steps, put them in "soft" trees or something that is not of lumber quality.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Screw in steps in NY

is the woman planning on selling the tree for lumber use? if it were killing a tree or making it look ugly i would say you have a gripe. i dont use screw in tree pegs but have seen enough bad pruning jobs and such to know it takes alot to kill a mature tree. a couple of tree pegs wont do it from what ive seen. my old tree climber would scar a tree but in a year the tree healed nicely. i dont like doing any damage but i dont see the harm in using bow hangers or hooks to hang gear. maybe a tree expert could jump in and weigh in on the subject.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Why do you think it is not permitted on some public land andon timber Co. leased land to us screw in steps or to build perminant stands. Becausethe damagedecreases the value of the trees. I would think that some day some one will be selling the trees on any tract of land.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:15 AM
Fork Horn

Um maybe because if they are left in and the tree grows around them after 20 years, those metal pieces can be completely obscured and when the guy at the saw mill goes to cut lumber they can do a number on his saw. If the screw-in steps are removed at the end of the season I don't see it hurting the tree or the value of the lumber much. On state land I doubt every joe public would remember to take out theirs, most likely reason they are not allowed.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Screw in damage the lumber value of any tree they are put in regardless of being left in or not.
Besides that you honor the landowners request regardless of personal opinions.

Steve
Old 10-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Um maybe because if they are left in and the tree grows around them after 20 years, those metal pieces can be completely obscured and when the guy at the saw mill goes to cut lumber they can do a number on his saw.
That's why they run a metal detector down them.

If the screw-in steps are removed at the end of the season I don't see it hurting the tree or the value of the lumber much.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Um maybe because if they are left in and the tree grows around them after 20 years, those metal pieces can be completely obscured and when the guy at the saw mill goes to cut lumber they can do a number on his saw.
That's why they run a metal detector down them.

If the screw-in steps are removed at the end of the season I don't see it hurting the tree or the value of the lumber much.
And then give you no $$$$$ for the tree FYI
Old 10-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a climber personally, but I figure Ive put alot of lead and razors into alot of trees over the years shooting at, and through, game.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Spike

Get a life dude, screw in steps do no damage to the dam tree. Geez you pissin on the tree will do more damage. Some people man I guess that you ran right up to the owner and ratted him out RIGHT!!!! get a life. go away.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckdropper

Get a life dude, screw in steps do no damage to the dam tree. Geez you pissin on the tree will do more damage. Some people man I guess that you ran right up to the owner and ratted him out RIGHT!!!! get a life. go away.
They do damage trees - especially veneer quality.[:'(]
Should never be used without permission unless YOU OWN the tree.
Your attitude is one of the things that make getting permission to hunt harder for all.

Steve

Quick Reply: Screw in steps in NY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.