Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Where are all the southern tier NY bow hunters? >

Where are all the southern tier NY bow hunters?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Where are all the southern tier NY bow hunters?

Old 10-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Where are all the southern tier NY bow hunters?

im hunting as well and it bites.a friend talked me into getting a bow tag.we are on state land and what a waste.we hunted all weekend and didnt even see a deer or a flag going in or out.anyone got any ideas?
Old 10-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Spike

Well the season is off to a bad start.... seen a few bucks no shooters, had 4 coyotes at dusk spook off 3 doe sat night, and while walking out, down along the bean field therethey were waiting for me at theend of the trail. kinda makes ya feel helpless seeing four sets of glowing eyes and only a bow in hand.... well good luck to everyone...shoot em straight and knock em down,

OHHH ya almost forgot while me and my hunting buddy were walking in on Sunday morning we heard a buck roaring, I thought it was an injured animal at first because Ive never heard it in the wild but after a lil listening it was the ROAR.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

I bowhunt in Orange County, only hunted on Sunday afternoon, work day at the other hunting camp in the morning. Only seen one red fox go right by me walkin in.
I live in Yonkers, and you can't even take a bow outside and shoot let alone hunt. So the deer population has increased greatly, especially along the sprain parkway. Yesterday morning, driving to work, there's a little field and two deer were battling up a storm, looked like sixes go at it, and another buck, standing back in the middle,refereeing the fight, A HUGH 8 pointer. I nearly came out of my socks. I've always seen does there all the time but no bucks. I'm sure some guys tempt fate and hunt in certain areas, but the fines are astronomical, DEC always pop in and out, and it's just not worth it. I wouldn't mind seeing the bucks like that, but an 8 pointer. It's just not fair, raatttzz.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

WOW pretty slow start so far. Only action we had was opening afternoon. I sat 3 and 1/2 hrs in the rain and didn't see one deer. Good thing I'm off all this week from work.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:44 PM

I had a great bow opening day, nice 7 pointer in the 120 range, plus the next day saw a nice 6 pointer. I'll wait til next year for him if he lives. I've seen plenty of deer, mainly does, but a few smaller bucks. Plenty of turkeys as well!
Old 10-27-2008, 02:52 PM

Great buck CWW, seen plenty of does myself, a few smaller bucks. Had a doe within bow range, but she had two fawns so i let her pass. Going out tomorrow evening, working O/T tonight, gotta pay for hunting supplies, lol.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

I'm seeing a ton of movement and pre rut activity down in otsego Co. Managed to put the peices together last friday and was rewarded with this 8pt

Old 10-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

Way to go Jawshooter!!

I will be traveling to the southern tier for a bow hunt this weekend. Hopefully my friends in Madison County have saved a buck or two for me.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SaintHubert

Way to go Jawshooter!!

I will be traveling to the southern tier for a bow hunt this weekend. Hopefully my friends in Madison County have saved a buck or two for me.

I hunt Madison county and have saved deer for you. Wait I have 25 hrs in the woods so far and have seen one deer. [&o] 5 more days until I go back to work.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:29 AM

Gotta chime in here too! Another NY'er!

Season has been going pretty slow for me so far. I haven't seen much daytime activity at all. I was in the stand for a total of 24 hours (8 hunts) last week, and I saw 8 deer. Not good. There are scrapes ALL over though. I've probably seen more scrapes so far this year as I have in the past 5 years combined!

I saw my first chase of the year on 10/27, as a small 8pt. ran a doe hard across the road ~20 yards in front of my truck. As hard as he was running her, he probably would have knocked my truck over if he had hit me in the side!

I've had trailcams out for months now and have gotten plenty of pics. I know they're out there, it's just a matter of being at the right place at the right time.

I went toa Charlie Alsheimer seminar recently and he said that the full moonon the 13thwill really kick the rut into high gear! He said that the bucks will be rutting hard and on their feet for the gun opener. We'll see!

I'm on vacation for the whole month of November, with the exception of 2 days. Figured I'd go into workfor a couple of days to"rest up"!

Quick Reply: Where are all the southern tier NY bow hunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.