Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Where are all the southern tier NY bow hunters? >

Where are all the southern tier NY bow hunters?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Where are all the southern tier NY bow hunters?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:41 PM

Default RE: Where are all the southern tier NY bow hunters?

Well, only a few more hours to wait! After 35 years of bow hunting Allegany County, you would think I would calm down, BUT I CAN'T!!
Old 10-17-2008, 07:20 PM

We are all ready to go! Gear is ready, bow in great shape, and been seeing some nice ones out there when scouting!! Good luck everyone!!
Old 10-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

The following I took from this site on the legality of 2 and 3 blade Rage in NY:

[blockquote]
The following is straight from DEC on RAGE broadheads
Mr. Erceg, I am familiar with the Rage broadhead. The critical issues for all broadheads, mechanical or fixed, is that they meet the primary legal criteria: (1) at least 2 cutting edges, (2) minimum cutting diameter of 7/8 inches, (3) are not barbed.
Broadheads with mechanical blades are legal if the blades DO NOT form a barb or hook when the arrow is pulled from the flesh of a deer or bear. The Rage broadhead has a unique reward opening design which makes the broadhead appear barbed prior to expansion and when expanded. However, the blades freely pivot forward when the arrow is extracted and do not remain barbed in this position. So the broadhead is legal for big game hunting in New York.
Jeremy Hurst Wildlife Biologist
NYSDEC, Bureau of Wildlife 625 Broadway, 5th Floor Albany, NY 12233 Phone: 518-402-8867 Fax: 518-402-8925 [email protected]
>>> "Erceg, Anthony" 8/11/2007 12:40 PM >>> Jeremy,

Can you clarify a broadhead question for me please. I have seen these new Rage Mechanical Broadheads on DVD and they seem to be incredible. I have had some people tell me they are not legal in NYS. I have had others state otherwise. Also, they are being sold in all the local shops so I need to have a credible answer before I get into buying some. Can you help me please. Attached, please find the website: www.ragebroadheads.com
[blockquote]
UPDATE!!!!!!!!! So, it seems that the 2 blade Rage is legal in NYS........3 blade is not...fyi. Shared by DEC clarifying original email.

Sure, please share the info on Rage-2 vs Rage-3 with any of your bowhunting buddies that may also be concerned.
Jeremy
>>> "Erceg, Anthony" 9/5/2007 9:17 AM >>> Thanks Jeremy.....I do appreciate your follow up. It is great to have someone with such knowledge at the DEC that I can communicate with. Have a great day!
-----Original Message----- From: Jeremy Hurst [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 9:02 AM To: Erceg, Anthony Subject: Fwd: Re: Question
Mr. Erceg, I just received a question from another hunter that reminded me I should have been more thorough in my response to you regarding the Rage broadheads. Rage makes a 2-bladed and 3-bladed broadhead. The 2-bladed broadhead functions very well. However, the 3-bladed version does not consistently allow the blades to freely pivot forward upon extraction. Thus the blades often remain barbed. In my earlier response I was refering to the function of the 2-bladed version.

Jeremy Hurst Wildlife Biologist
NYSDEC, Bureau of Wildlife 625 Broadway, 5th Floor Albany, NY 12233 Phone: 518-402-8867 Fax: 518-402-8925

[email protected]

the site this is on:

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/regional/thread.cfm?threadid=143573&MESSAGES=18&sta te=NY
[/blockquote][/blockquote]
Old 10-18-2008, 02:36 AM
Fork Horn

Well it's 4:30 am and we are getting ready. I can't wait. Well everyone good luck and shoot straight.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:17 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: stretch hunts

Well it's 4:30 am and we are getting ready. I can't wait. Well everyone good luck and shoot straight.
Best Of Luck, Stretch!
Old 10-18-2008, 07:19 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: gassygordo

Well, only a few more hours to wait! After 35 years of bow hunting Allegany County, you would think I would calm down, BUT I CAN'T!!
Best Of Luck, gassy!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

1st morning in the stand and all I saw was a feral cat and 2 squirells. Felt good to get up the tree and be in the woods, though. Was going to sit all day but I figured I couldnt justify eating a days pay with no action at all, in the woods, so I sat till 11 and got down and went work. Ill sit all day tommorrow though. Hows everyone else doing?
Old 10-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Best Of Luck, Stretch!

Well it was the best time I've had in the woods today. It was my son's first time bow hunting. Morning watch we saw nothing. We went back in at 3:00. At 5:35 my son sends me a text message saying that a 4 point is coming my way and he missed him. I send a text back saying welcome to hunting son. at 6:25 I see the same 4 point coming towards me. I think to myself time for me to show him how it's done. Duh big mistake. I took a 30 yard broadside shot and he jumped my string so I shot right over his back. I text my kid and told him I just missed the same 4 pt he missed. He replied LOL and welcome to hunting DAD. I will saw I was not at all mad or upset about missing it b/c this is a story we both will tell for awhile. Well tomorrow is another day. Good lucks guys and girls.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Spike

For all, here is a great Calendar for Sunrise/Sunset Plus moon phases.

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp
Old 10-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Not much luck the first two days here. Beautiful being out there though.

I did want to bring up that while coming out of the woods Sunday evening with my Bro and Bro in law we were stopped by a DEC officer. He was a real decent guy. Checked all our licenses and the all of our broadheads.I of course had 2 blade rages on so specifically started asking him about the issue with Rage 3 blades. He said they have been getting a lot of calls on the issue so if you want to clear up this for yourself call the DEC. But anyway he confirmed to me that the three blades are illegal and the 2 blade are fine. Just thought that backs up my above post pretty soundly.

Good luck out there!

Quick Reply: Where are all the southern tier NY bow hunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.