HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Northern , NY fawns or lack of .. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/265151-northern-ny-fawns-lack.html)

TRACKER 09-26-2008 09:23 PM

Northern , NY fawns or lack of ..

Maybe its just me but I,ve had my trail cams out all spring and summer in differen locations .
Ive also been doing a little scouting and noticed in my observation anyways there are not a lot of fawns around my area ?
The rut up here last year was a little goofy and very hard to predict up here .
Not sure if it was the warm fall or ???
Anyone else notice fewer fawns this year ?
Well early bow is tommorow so after a week or 2 in the stands I,ll no for sure .
I,ll try to keep you posted .

RWK 09-26-2008 09:51 PM

RE: Northern , NY fawns or lack of ..

Must be them long tailed cats running around NY

Skeeder1964 09-27-2008 04:53 AM

I have noticed it also. I have only seen 1 fawn here all summer. I usually see 4 or 5 at least. I will also know more when I go bowhunting next week on the 1st.

tj_cubin 09-27-2008 09:04 AM

I have seen quite a few around here this year. I would say right about on average.

TRACKER 09-27-2008 09:04 PM

Went out this afternoon and seen a few realy nice mature doe but no fawns .
It was on the warm side . 70 degrees at 5pm .
Last few years I was seeing 8 to 10 deer in one field around this time .
Not sure abought long tail cats but we do have more than our fair share of coy dogs .

Troutman10 09-28-2008 07:01 PM

I've seen a decent # of fawns around in the Northern zone. After moving to the Southern zone this summer and looking over all the regulations down here it makes me think the Northern Regulastions are a little too relaxed. Maybe increasing the northern bow season about a week or so, decreasing the length of the rifle season by a 2-3 weeks and making a muzzleloader season after rifle would make hunters happy and decrease a little pressure on the deer. Call me crazy, but there might be a few more good bucks around. The long rifle season is great, but look at the rifle seasons out in midwest states (only a week or two in some). Maybe guys would be seeing a few more deer around.

TRACKER 09-29-2008 11:29 AM

At one time not long ago up here in NNY we had a 2nd one week muzzle loader season after our rifle season was done .
I dont believe many hunters went out do to it already being a long season .
I,d like to see a week long bow or muzzle loader season at the end of rifle season is done .
I wouldnt mind it if they used the last week of rifle for it .

BuckAlley 09-29-2008 08:33 PM

I've seen a decent amount of fawns around this yr. in my area. Seen more fawns than ever in my southern tier area. My cameras there have been loaded with fawn pics.
Troutman, I couldn't agree more on the Northern season. Archery is way too short, and rifle is way too long in my opinion. Plus now that they issue doe permits in some northern areas, the population seems way down. With the winter kills we get up here, I don't get their permit reasons. I'd love to see a earlier archery opener in the north, as it stands right now you get 1 full wknd of archery on the new license, the 2nd wknd is mixed with muzzleloaders. I've been in areas when thats been a little scary. I never understood mixing guns & bows.
Open northern archery like 9/15, even if it was a wk of anterless only. Close archery 2nd or 3rd wknd Oct. and give the muzzleloaders a lone 14 days. Open Reg rifle season 11/1, same dayDMP's are legal to use. Its seems so simple to do.

sproulman 09-29-2008 10:56 PM

deer have been reduced in wmu2g of pa.
we are not seeing fawns do to this.

COYOTES are doing it,bears too,bobcats a little.all 3 killers.

also you dont see older 2 or 3 year old doe now,doe are very young.

older doe are ones that had fawns,they have been shot off.

COYOTES are worst of the 3 killers,we seen it while fishing in our bass tournaments,they killed 2 fawns in broad daylight.

they work in pairs to kill them.[:@]

SaintHubert 09-30-2008 10:19 AM

I have fawns in my trail cam pics but they are all singles. No twins this year.