HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Just what broadheads are illegal in ny (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/263952-just-what-broadheads-illegal-ny.html)

matt068 09-19-2008 01:04 PM

Just what broadheads are illegal in ny

I'm more confused than ever 2 blade rage I'm told is ok 3 blade rage illegal? I know the law states barbed as going past 90 degrees as illegal howeverI just got off the phone w/ a dec officer who basically didn't help me to much. He stated as long as on pulling out it closes so it doesnt lock in the deer your ok. A lot of these new b-heads like the undertaker, piston point, etc are barbed but which ones retract anybody got a list of what is illegal that would be so much easier than an educated guess and guessing wrong and ending up in the clink!! Any one that can lend sense to this issue please explain!!

pj234 09-20-2008 08:16 AM

RE: Just what broadheads are illegal in ny

Can't really answer your question about the Rage. This year's NY Hunting Guide actually has a picture of the Tekan and lists it as an illegal mechanical blade. Do the Rage blades fold forward if you were to pull the broadhead out of a deer? See page 21 of the guide.

Fletch NY 09-23-2008 12:31 PM

Taken from another forum. Response is from DEC Officer. It appears 2 bladed Rage are legal because they retract back. Three blades on the other hand do not and are considered illegal.

"UPDATE!!!!!!!!! So, it seems that the 2 blade Rage is legal in NYS........3 blade is not...fyi. Shared by DEC clarifying original email.

Sure, please share the info on Rage-2 vs Rage-3 with any of your bowhunting buddies that may also be concerned.

Jeremy

>>> "Erceg, Anthony" 9/5/2007 9:17 AM >>> Thanks Jeremy.....I do appreciate your follow up. It is great to have someone with such knowledge at the DEC that I can communicate with. Have a great day!

-----Original Message----- From: Jeremy Hurst [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 9:02 AM To: Erceg, Anthony Subject: Fwd: Re: Question

Mr. Erceg, I just received a question from another hunter that reminded me I should have been more thorough in my response to you regarding the Rage broadheads. Rage makes a 2-bladed and 3-bladed broadhead. The 2-bladed broadhead functions very well. However, the 3-bladed version does not consistently allow the blades to freely pivot forward upon extraction. Thus the blades often remain barbed. In my earlier response I was refering to the function of the 2-bladed version.

Jeremy Hurst Wildlife Biologist

NYSDEC, Bureau of Wildlife 625 Broadway, 5th Floor Albany, NY 12233 Phone: 518-402-8867 Fax: 518-402-8925 [email protected] "

Canuck33 09-23-2008 01:36 PM

I'm not sure about the others but I know for sure 2 blade rage are ok and 3 are not

Medic 09-23-2008 03:24 PM

The new Tekan is OK it is the old one (first release) that is not.