Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PGC  burning sgl in pa. >

PGC burning sgl in pa.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PGC burning sgl in pa.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PGC burning sgl in pa.

Oak trees need light but they don't have to be in direct sunlight to mature
That simply is not true. Without adequate direct sunlight the rate of growth is so slow the vast majority of seedlings will become stunted, mushroom shaped trees with no commercial value. The fact that you observed 6", 3-4 year old oak seedlings confirms this fact. Also , the fact that they have to do shelterwood cuts also supports this fact.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Apparentlly our definition of direct sunlight is different.Many ofthe shelter wood cuts aren't all that open.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oak trees will only mature in a shelterwood cut if they receive direct sunlight. A mature tree is a tree that has successfully reached the canopy as pole timber ,where it receives direct sunlight.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

[blockquote]quote:

So, if environmental conditions exist that favor oak regeneration andsome sunlight penetrates the canopy...[/blockquote]

(Bluebird2): Would you please explain what environmental conditions would favor oak regeneration when oak is the slowest growing species of all commercially valuable timber/

What an odd response. You originallysaid "if environmental conditions exist that favor oak regen"...I asked the above quotedquestion and you counter with the above response, in bold???

Am I now expected to explain your own observations and statements to you?
Old 08-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

It may seem odd to you because I was responding to DougE and not to your post . Since you said you "Got it." at the end of your post , I din't think a response was necessary. Now do you have a legitimate question you would like to ask?
Old 08-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

It may seem odd to you because I was responding to DougE and not to your post

That does not appear to be a truthful response to my question, since your previousresponse contained the same wording that my initital question to you, did.

Legitimate question? By my definition, or yours?

Sure: How come you're postingyour pedanticassertionshere again, when you were previously given the boot from this site?
Old 08-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went back and checked the previous post and you are right that I did respond to your question regarding deer over browsing oak seedlings witha question regarding what were the environmental conditions to which you were referring. You didn't answer and the discussion then centered around Doug's claim that oaks will mature without direct sunlight.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

(Bluebird2): Would you please explain what environmental conditions would favor oak regeneration when oak is the slowest growing species of all commercially valuable timber/

What an odd response. You originallysaid "if environmental conditions exist that favor oak regen"...I asked the above quotedquestion and you counter with the above response, in bold???

Am I now expected to explain your own observations and statements to you?

Old 08-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DougE

Sproulman,Bob is the district forester for district 9(Moshannon state forest 814-765-0821).Have Hanna call him.He certainly could use a little education on habitat matters.They've done several burns over the past few years.In fact they even have several areas where they've done experimental burns combined with herbicide treatments for the US forest service.They day I went out with Bob,we were primarily looking at several big sites that Dr William Sharope from PSU had limed.There's alot of cool stuff being done.All one has to do is call to find out.I've never had a problem getting anyone from the PGC or DCNR taking me out in person to show me.

It's flat out B.S to say that DCNR doesn't want to do controlled burns.It's very risky with Pa's liability laws and it's very labor intensive.

What do you guys think these burns will accomplish?Be specific.

Doug,could you give me directions to the burn and lime areas?
Old 08-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

can't

Quick Reply: PGC burning sgl in pa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.