Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA deer Quizz

Old 08-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA deer Quizz

well not being from PA i prob don't have much place in this i just know that when i went through PA like 5 or 6 years ago and then went through it again last week on my way to and from ohio i saw far less deer, but i think that you guys should take it easy and just look at both sides. just an outsider opinion
That was kind of the point of the herd reduction, to bring the herd levels down to healthy levels.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

But the herd was just as healthy before HR as it is now,at least according to the PGC stats.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Blah, Blah, Blah...
Old 08-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

But the herd was just as healthy before HR as it is now,at least according to the PGC stats.
I was just answering the question of why the gentlemen was seeing less deer now. I think the herd is doing great, and the AR's have really helped.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

But your answer was wrong and that is why I corrected it, by pointing out the herd was at a healthy level before HR began. There may have too many deer to satisfy certain special interest groups like the timber industry,DCNR and the Audubon, but the herd was healthy and below the MSY carrying capacity of the habitat.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is question 3#.

True or false? Antler restrictions hurt the genetics of Pennsylvania's deer herd.

My question is ,how will we know when the PGC refuses to release the results of their annual buck survey?
Old 08-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

But your answer was wrong and that is why I corrected it, by pointing out the herd was at a healthy level before HR began. There may have too many deer to satisfy certain special interest groups like the timber industry,DCNR and the Audubon, but the herd was healthy and below the MSY carrying capacity of the habitat.
The herd was not healthy in many areas. Nor was the habitat.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you provide anything to support that claim? Breeding rates and productivity did not increase where the herd was reduced the most and statewide breeding rates and productivity decreased instead of increasing.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Can you provide anything to support that claim? Breeding rates and productivity did not increase where the herd was reduced the most and statewide breeding rates and productivity decreased instead of increasing.
I'll use the areas in and around the ANF as my example. Bigger body size among harvested bucks does and fawns. A dramatic increase in the quality of antlers and the fading away of the old "browse line in many( but admittedly not all) areas
Old 08-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

None of those observations are part of the criteria the PGC uses to determine herd health. Maybe you should submit that data to the PGC and see if they agree with your observations.

Quick Reply: PA deer Quizz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.