Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maine

Old 08-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default Maine

Bear season is coming fast guys. Phil Im not sure if you bear hunt but if Im rememberingcorrectly the area you live in has some good ones. I know I cant wait. My buddyhas 3 baits out for me in the bingham area.No hitsyet as of 2 days ago but havent talked to him since then and hopefully it starts to pick up a bit. We got permission to hunt some posted land that hasnt been hunted inabout 40 years according to the owner. I guess its like 350 acres. Only thing that sucks is we can only use the land for bear hunting cause he wants a certain nuisancebear gone that ripped up his camper. Plus his kids are afraid to camp out there because of it lol. The bear has a 6 to 6 1/2 inch pad according to the land owner and he says he sawit cross his drive way driving home one night and it as long as the front end of his car. Ive heard this story before from non hunters and they didnt turn out to be quite that big if you no what I mean . BUT, I have high hopes anyways.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:09 AM

Default RE: Maine

I will be heading up their my self and 3 other guys in Sept for bear.counting the days!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just saw your post and you are correct, I do not hunt bear myself. I have a friend that guides though and he says most of his baits have been getting hits. Some of them have been a little scechty to say the least. Coming in one day and not coming back to it for few days. The berrys have been out up here pretty heavey and that probally has something to do with it. I do not hunt them becauseI do not like eating them so it gives me little use to shoot one. Out at my grandmothers land the bears go threw pretty commonly. Just about 1/4 mile up the road from her place a bear climbed into a car to get an empty berry box..LOL. It made a mess of her car as it clawed the door getting in and out of it. Chewed up part of her dash and the seats were a little ripped up as well.. She said for now on she is going to remember to keep the windows rolled up. There is a small mountain down in back that they hibernate on and the bears travel threw the place quite commonly. Anyways Good Luck on your hunt.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Hey good luck to you woodrow311. Keep me posted on how it goes. you guys all going guided or doing it yourself?
Old 08-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

Ya Phil those berries can get you everytime if you dont find something that the bears like better to eat. Thats a hard one to deal with sometimesso hopefully they arent around too much longer.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:49 PM

ITS GUIDED.TURNPIKE RIDGE OUTFITTERS THEY ARE OUY OF ASHLEY.THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!!LOOKING FORWARD TO IT.JUST GOT A NEW BOW SO BE SHOOTING IT ALL DAY
Old 08-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had meant to say good luck getting your bear as well as woodrow!

Just about 35 to 40 miles from here 1 got shot that dressed out a whooping 612 lbs. What a monster that one was!, they could only get that one with dogs. He kept going into the water until one of the guides decided to send the dogs in after him. When he ran out of it they managed to get him. One place in this area that a big bear killed 2 dogs and wouldn't go to bait at all. Later on they found out a trapper was throwing carcasses out nearby and that was what that bear preffered. I had seen it ealier last year chasing a big buck across the road. So yes you need to put out what they want to eat that is for sure.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

it is 10.45 pm here in pa. at my home.

30 ft from me is a big bear eating a whole watermelon from my yard.

my new MOULTRIE cam is bro. it should be back soon and i will try to get picture for us,dont know how to download it to us but i am sure some will help me when i get pic.

i have a lot of bears this year but most are small under 200 pds.

dont shoot mother with cubs and dont shoot cub,take your time and look at bear,if it gets away because you could not tell, thats ok too but you will be proud that you did not shoot mother or little cub..

IF YOU CAN PUT YOUR HAT IN THE TRACK, THATS A BIG BEAR.
pa. is DISGUSTING ,now you can kill cub.

god has special place for hunters that do this,its called HELL.[:@]
Old 08-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: woodrow311

ITS GUIDED.TURNPIKE RIDGE OUTFITTERS THEY ARE OUY OF ASHLEY.THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!!LOOKING FORWARD TO IT.JUST GOT A NEW BOW SO BE SHOOTING IT ALL DAY

come to pa. and its stateland and you dont need a guide and lots of bear.

we checked in over 100 bear first day in 1 county.

pm me and i can give you counties that are best .

motels are not expensive and weekly rates availbale or daily.

out of state license is around 100 dollars.

locals will tell you where to go for a few dollars or buy them lunch or few beers.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

come to pa. and its stateland and you dont need a guide and lots of bear.

we checked in over 100 bear first day in 1 county.

pm me and i can give you counties that are best .

motels are not expensive and weekly rates availbale or daily.

out of state license is around 100 dollars.

locals will tell you where to go for a few dollars or buy them lunch or few beers.
They do not have to have a guide here either but with a guide you know baits have been set out in advance. Cubs can be shot here as well but most do not/will not shoot a cub. Like most places bears can be big or bears can be smaller. They come in different sizes just like shoes do.

IF YOU CAN PUT YOUR HAT IN THE TRACK, THATS A BIG BEAR.
I didn't know PA now has Kodiaks..

Quick Reply: Maine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.