HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   WV rutting Bucks (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/256660-wv-rutting-bucks.html)

jermelott 08-08-2008 08:49 AM

WV rutting Bucks

I am from Louisiana, where our rut is in January. Me and a couple of buddys are heading to WV to try our luck on bagging a big WV brusier and I was woundering when is the (typical) best time to catch those big boys chasin. We will be hunting in Monroe County. Any help will be appricated!!!!!

mauser06 08-08-2008 09:31 AM

RE: WV rutting Bucks

probably through november...

not sure how their seasons run, but our best chasing in PA is the first 2 weeks of november(last 2 weeks of bow season) some can be seen through late october into early december...but peak chasing is probably the 2nd and 3rd weeks of november here in PA...and im not real far from WV...

HEAD0001 08-09-2008 10:50 PM

The peak of the rut normally hits on November 15. Give or take a day or two.The first two weeks in November are normally the best. Tom.

bspencer 08-11-2008 11:23 AM

id say the 2 weeks before thanksgiving

Pro-Line 08-12-2008 04:45 AM

I always take a week to hunt around Nov 6-10. That gets me close. Personally I like to be a week or so earlier than the rut...Once the does come into heat, they are more receptive, and the bucks don't have to chase as much. That week before they come into heat the bucks are chasing and they are running.

WVSPORTSMAN 08-12-2008 10:51 AM

Number one...I hunt Monroe Count...do not expect a 130 class buck...A great buck for the area is around 115-125.....and those aren't too common..the area is over hunted during rifle season....bow season is best. as for the rut...I usually see it coming in around early Nov. Good Luck on your hunt...the southern counties produce the monster bucks....all the bow counties and a few places like mason county...What part of Monroe are you hunting?

madvilledoc 08-12-2008 11:18 PM

As others have said - early November. Although if you believe the rut starting shortly after the full moon, it may hit a little late this year.

You'll be hard pressed to find big bucks it that part of the state. You might do better to go a couple of counties over to Wyoming or McDowell (bow-only counties). You will definitely find them there.

DougMD 08-20-2008 11:22 AM

I think mid November is better than early Nov. for WV (10th - 20th or so). I hunt Md as well, and it always seems that Md. has good buck actionearlier than WV.

JoshKeller 08-23-2008 10:25 PM

I tend to see my most and biggest bucks the last two weeks of november.

Doe Dumper 08-27-2008 12:14 AM

Same here Josh. All my big kills have came in December.