HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   PA antler restriction (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/256182-pa-antler-restriction.html)

pahunter60 08-05-2008 11:46 AM

PA antler restriction

this is my last year being a youth hunter, and im not looking forward for the antler restriction. i just hunt in the rifle season and the deer are usually running and its so hard to count points. im in WMU 1A with the 4 point restriction. is there anybody else that doesnt like the antler restriction, my dad hates it and says it made him lose the interest in deer hunting.

hatchet jack 08-05-2008 03:40 PM

RE: PA antler restriction

I like AR's. Why don't you take up archery? Think of it this way. When you do shoot a buck it will be a nice one. Try stopping the deer when they are running by you with a loud whistle or just yell,grunt ect. Sometimes this will stop the deer and you will have a chance to check it out. You are on the right track by not shooting at a running deer, thats a hard shot even for the seasoned hunter. Keep up the good work and hang in there it will happen! Be safe!

Hatchet Jack

bluebird2 08-05-2008 04:11 PM

ORIGINAL: pahunter60

this is my last year being a youth hunter, and im not looking forward for the antler restriction. i just hunt in the rifle season and the deer are usually running and its so hard to count points. im in WMU 1A with the 4 point restriction. is there anybody else that doesnt like the antler restriction, my dad hates it and says it made him lose the interest in deer hunting.
A lot of PA hunters are unhappy with antler restrictions. We were told that ARs would double the number of 8 pts and that we would likely have more and bigger buck than ever before. That didn't happen and many hunters are realizing ARs were just a carrot to get hunters to shoot more doe. In 2007 we harvested fewer 2.5+ buck than we did in 2002, so for many PA hunters all ARs produced were lower harvests.

rybohunter 08-05-2008 04:38 PM

AR's are the best thing to happen to this state. Your best outlook is to not listen to the grumpy old rantings of bitter guys like your dad (and mine).
You will do much better to keep an open mind and postive attitude both in life and hunting.

I have no sympathy for those who quit doing something they supposedly loved, just because of a tighter restriction.

Good luck this season, stay positive, and have fun in the woods. THAT's the main goal of hunting.

bluebird2 08-05-2008 05:24 PM

AR's are the best thing to happen to this state.
That is an interesting position when you consider the following facts.
1. Breeding rates have declined since ARS and HR were implemented.
2. Productivity decreased instead of increasing as predicted.
3. We are harvesting fewer 2.5+ buck than we did in 2002.
4. The number of licensed hunters has been steadily been decreasing since ARs were implemented

Now, would you care to post the reasons why you believe ARs were the best thing that happened to this state?

White-tail-deer 08-05-2008 06:08 PM

I also like the AR's. We have much nicer Buck in our area since AR's. Most of our Buck we shoot now in our area are atleast 2.5.

bluebird2 08-05-2008 06:32 PM

Could you have shot 2.5 buck before ARs if you had just passed on 1.5 buck voluntarily?

mlo31351270 08-05-2008 06:46 PM

I have no sympathy for those who quit doing something they supposedly loved, just because of a tighter restriction.
Same here.

bluebird2 08-05-2008 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: mlo31351270

Same here.
I wonder if you will be as cold hearted when you are 70 years old and have had one or two surgeries for cataracts , retinal tears or are suffering from glaucoma. How many hunters that are 70 + years old want to get a buck mounted ,no matter how big it might be? Priorities change with age and the PGC refuses to recognize that fact.

White-tail-deer 08-05-2008 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Could you have shot 2.5 buck before ARs if you had just passed on 1.5 buck voluntarily?
Yes, but the neighbors didn't care what they shot. Now they have to count points and more 1.5 year olds are making thru. There were many years before AR where the biggest deer we shot was a 1.5 year old 4 point or 6 point. Now we all shoot 8 and 10's. No complaints from me about AR's.